Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help identifying old mandolin

Default Re: Help identifying old mandolin

Am I at risk of damaging my instrument if it is left un-strung for a period of time?
    I can't imagine so, no. It is possible to damage an instrument by leaving strings at full tension for 50 years, but I wouldn't worry about a mandolin being damaged because it was unstrung, as long as the floating bridge was safely stored in the case.

For replacement strings, many L&H players insist on Thomastik flatwounds, but those are pricey. It is, however, probably best to use light-gauge strings (34-10 or lighter), no matter what type or brand of string you choose.
    Last edited by mrmando; Feb-24-2023 at 1:28pm.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Thank you all, again, for the information, and suggestions. Due to the fact there is not a luthier within a reasonable distance, and any additional expenses I inherit along with the mandolin, I have decided to sell. Hopefully I won't regret this decision, but it just seems silly to have it if it may sit possibly for more years without being enjoyed. So, again I ask for suggestions. If I were to list here in classifieds, what would be a fair asking price, considering the community? I don't want to ask an unreasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by scrappy1 View Post
    Thank you all, again, for the information, and suggestions. Due to the fact there is not a luthier within a reasonable distance,
    Did you reach out to Phoenix Fretworks?

I'm not sure how to proceed now; the Cafe has a rule about sellers discussing their own instruments for sale in the Forum, and if you decide to sell, this thread may get locked. I would hate to see that happen because it's an interesting discussion. The moderators may have some advice.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls