Thread: Monroe's "Used To Be" Tab/notation?

Default Monroe's "Used To Be" Tab/notation?

A dozen or more years ago, I played with a casual group The Elm Hill Ramblers, and one of the guys did "Used To Be." At that time, I learned somebody else's mandolin break from some tablature I found. I'll be darned if it didn't disappear, though. I'd really like a second chance to relearn that one note-for-note. I recall having a midi file for it as well--both are gone. Anyone recognize what I'm talking about and have it ferreted away on your hard drive? Much appreciated!
    Jonathan in Seattle

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Monroe's "Used To Be" Tab/notation?

Quote Originally Posted by JCHaywire View Post
    A dozen or more years ago, I played with a casual group The Elm Hill Ramblers, and one of the guys did "Used To Be." At that time, I learned somebody else's mandolin break from some tablature I found. I'll be darned if it didn't disappear, though. I'd really like a second chance to relearn that one note-for-note. I recall having a midi file for it as well--both are gone. Anyone recognize what I'm talking about and have it ferreted away on your hard drive? Much appreciated!
    Jonathan in Seattle
    You ask for TAB to a song without specifying the key??

Incidentally, IIRC, the original recording was done at a session where Monroe and the band tuned a halfstep sharp, resulting in the key of Db, instead of the "intended" key, C. Brown County Breakdown was done at the same session, "intended " key E, "actual" key F. I know of only one further example of this in Monroe's output, The First Whippoorwill/Christmas Time Is Coming

Mike Compton teaches that song (with notation and tab) on his Peghead Nation course, but you'll have to subscribe.

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

or maybe there was some fiddling with the tape speed.