Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peter Coombe A oval

Default Re: Peter Coombe A oval or A5

Hi Dean

I was only talking to Peter yesterday about the possible woods combination for either an oval A or an A5.. I had suggested either Red Spruce/European Maple or Red Spruce/Claro Walnut. In the end we both agreed that the Red Spruce/Claro Walnut would work the best and guess what after listening to all the sound clips I liked the A5 sound the best. I had always kept in the back of my mind the possibility of an A5. Your experience with your A5 tipped the balance for me. So thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Gray View Post
    Hi Nick, I am really happy with the claro walnut/red spruce combination. I did a lot of searching here through the archives and the general consensus was walnut can warm up the sound somewhat. Plus the claro walnut looks great too. Peter reminds me to be patient as the red spruce takes time to develop it's mature tone (amazing that some don't believe this occurs) but I love the tone as is and am starting to hear more depth in the lower strings with lots of daily playing. I notice more overtones/resonance happening than a few weeks ago, it is learning that it's no longer bits of different trees, and is now a magical music box.
    Nic Gellie

Default Re: Peter Coombe A oval

No worries, sorry I didn't get a sound clip done yet. Talking to Peter directly is/was the best bet. Congratulations on the new A5, now comes the waiting! How long is that likely to be?
    Would be good to meet up later in the year and have a play.
    Quentin B - are you keen too?

Dean, I have a feeling that this will turn out to be one of the best mandolin purchase decisions I have made. Peter has got something happening with the way he is making his A5s at the moment. I will be content to wait for 18 months for the A5 to appear. From the sound recordings I have listened to they have a really special tone that is on par with a Gilchrist model 3. I should add perhaps even better in some respects because Peter is making his A5s with a different end purpose in mind.

We will get to play in a jam one day no doubt and I look forward to catching up with you some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Gray View Post
    No worries, sorry I didn't get a sound clip done yet. Talking to Peter directly is/was the best bet. Congratulations on the new A5, now comes the waiting! How long is that likely to be?
    Would be good to meet up later in the year and have a play.
    Quentin B - are you keen too?
    Nic Gellie

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellie View Post
    I am thinking of having an A oval being made by Peter Coombe.

What are people's opinions about woods for top and back as well as the different models of A ovals. I am looking at having one with the Gibson snakehead sound.

Even though this isn't a snakehead it sounds pretty good:

https://youtu.be/Pk46G9sJ0s8

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Just been reading your review on the Eastman 404Bk, very impressive. It seems like you think it compares well in tone over the old Gibsons and boutique mandolins with modern playability for a fraction of the cost, have you had a change of heart?