Thread: Solid Body Mandolins

Default Solid Body Mandolins

I’m a mature :::cough, cough:::: new student. I’ve had three lessons and I’m delighted and completely hooked. I’m having so much fun.

I want to get a solid body for two reasons:
    1. Durability and the ability to take what air travel brings to the table.
    2. Soft voice – When I travel, I don’t want to disturb my hosts while practicing.

I’ve spent the last couple of evenings looking at individual online offerings, but I haven’t seen anything that gives comparative information (one brand vs. another, etc).

What should I avoid and what are the key things I need to look for in a solid-body, electric mandolin and what are the best sources? I’ve found nothing available locally.

Default Re: Solid Body Mandolins

Welcome to the group. I have no answers, but do find it curious that you want an electric solid body mando. Are you coming from electric guitar by any chance?
    " Give me some words I can dance to and a melody that rhymes" - Steve Goodman

I occasionally sell a solidbody mandolin to someone who wants it for quiet practice. But nobody who makes them would market them as such.

You'll want an 8-string that really does have a solid body, i.e., no tone chambers like a Godin. And you'll probably want a neck profile similar to whatever acoustic you play, so that it doesn't feel too different.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by tjmangum View Post
    Welcome to the group. I have no answers, but do find it curious that you want an electric solid body mando. Are you coming from electric guitar by any chance?
    Thank you for the welcome! My reasons are:

1. Because a solid body can stand up to bumps when traveling.

2. Because when I visit my son and his family, I want to run as silent as I can. Sound travels in his home and there's literally nowhere to practice where I won't be heard and potentially disturbing them or waking the baby.

I have a little Pignose travel guitar and I like that I can play around with it unplugged, so I'm looking for something similar for mandolin. It's not for regular weekly learning, just for travel situations.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    I occasionally sell a solidbody mandolin to someone who wants it for quiet practice. But nobody who makes them would market them as such.

You'll want an 8-string that really does have a solid body, i.e., no tone chambers like a Godin. And you'll probably want a neck profile similar to whatever acoustic you play, so that it doesn't feel too different.

Thank you for the advice! Unfortunately, there are none to "try before you buy" in my town, so, anything I buy online may or may not match the neck profile of my Eastman. Is there that much variation in mandolin neck profiles? I know there is in the guitar world.

I have an Epiphone Mandobird IV that’s a ton of fun to play plugged in. I’ve used it for quiet practice and travel as well, but it’s not the same as having all 8 strings. Put out a want add for a Mandobird VIII or check out Eastwood’s offerings that pop up in the classifieds with some frequency. Neither are terribly expensive and should be fine for your purposes. And, welcome to the obsession!
    Chuck

7. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

If you want to plug it in, I'd suggest a four string, but my experience is the eight has too many overtones. Others disagree, of course, and if it sounds good, it is good.

It's a brilliant instrument, great for practice, but great for playing either solo or a gig. Mine's a JBovier ELS which sadly aren't made any more, but if you can get one second hand. (Note, it's four string). The Epiphone stuff is really good. And a fender one is great too. Good luck with your journey! When you get it, show us!
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

I am a fan of solid body four-string electrics as well, and I find I practice more when traveling with my Eastwood "Mandostang" more than I would with my Collings. I play with a headphone amp, but I also find myself playing unplugged a lot more than I though i would. As you say, it is also sturdier and less "fussy" than a quality acoustic.

That said, playing an electric like mine to train yourself to play a "real" mando is sort of like spending time on an organ to master the piano--they are separate worlds that demand their own technique. You really do need to realize that you're entering a parallel universe.

I've also used a pressed-laminate top mandolin, equivalent to a Rogue, as a travel mandolin. Although they don't play as well as a quality instrument, properly set up with light strings they are sturdy and have a quiet voice unlikely to disturb someone in another room. That may be something to explore. I suppose you could fill the sound holes with expanding foam if you really wanted to kill the sound, but that seems extreme.

Another approach might be to explore travel mandolins that naturally have smaller voices. More money but cooler than a Rogue. I played the old Martin travel mandolin at a pawn shop once, and if you found one it might serve your needs.

10. The following members say thank you to JonDoug for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    I have an Epiphone Mandobird IV that’s a ton of fun to play plugged in. I’ve used it for quiet practice and travel as well, but it’s not the same as having all 8 strings. Put out a want add for a Mandobird VIII or check out Eastwood’s offerings that pop up in the classifieds with some frequency. Neither are terribly expensive and should be fine for your purposes. And, welcome to the obsession!
    I am considering an Eastwood. I prefer the more classic mandolin look, but the Eastwood is affordable. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    If you want to plug it in, I'd suggest a four string, but my experience is the eight has too many overtones. Others disagree, of course, and if it sounds good, it is good.

It's a brilliant instrument, great for practice, but great for playing either solo or a gig. Mine's a JBovier ELS which sadly aren't made any more, but if you can get one second hand. (Note, it's four string). The Epiphone stuff is really good. And a fender one is great too. Good luck with your journey! When you get it, show us!
    Thank you for your encouragement!

12. The following members say thank you to Yohannah for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoug View Post
    I am a fan of solid body four-string electrics as well, and I find I practice more when traveling with my Eastwood "Mandostang" more than I would with my Collings. I play with a headphone amp, but I also find myself playing unplugged a lot more than I though i would. As you say, it is also sturdier and less "fussy" than a quality acoustic.

That said, playing an electric like mine to train yourself to play a "real" mando is sort of like spending time on an organ to master the piano--they are separate worlds that demand their own technique. You really do need to realize that you're entering a parallel universe.

I've also used a pressed-laminate top mandolin, equivalent to a Rogue, as a travel mandolin. Although they don't play as well as a quality instrument, properly set up with light strings they are sturdy and have a quiet voice unlikely to disturb someone in another room. That may be something to explore. I suppose you could fill the sound holes with expanding foam if you really wanted to kill the sound, but that seems extreme.

Another approach might be to explore travel mandolins that naturally have smaller voices. More money but cooler than a Rogue. I played the old Martin travel mandolin at a pawn shop once, and if you found one it might serve your needs.
    Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts. Much to think about.

We do have a more classic mandolin look with the MRG Mandolin: https://eastwoodguitars.com/products/mrg-mandolin
    Out of stock at the moment, but available to pre-order now and restock in Walnut is due to arrive later this month.

As was suggested, a cheap, or any acoustic mandolin that plays well. At night or when you want to be quiet have a piece of foam that you carry and place it right in front of your bridge. It will be much quieter. You can then still jam if you find someone else to play with while you are traveling.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I've yet to hear or see an electric that sounds or feels like an acoustic. I got my first electric for the same reason but it didn't scratch my acoustic itch so I just play quieter at night. That said, I would say an 8 string gets you closer than a 4 or 5 stringer. I have an Eastwood Ricky & an Epiphone Mandobird, both of which play well and are affordable. At least relative to the smaller, boutique builders

I think blade or bar pickups handle the weak high e problem better than pole piece pickups with the exception of Almuse pickups. Formerly made by Pete Mallinson but he taught Chris at Belvoir Guitars & passed along the design when he retired. Good luck in your search & enjoy the hunt!
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

I have an Eastwood Mandocaster that I purchased and use for exactly the reasons that you (the OP) has listed. I also have a Vox headphone amp that I can plug in and with the headphones or ear buds I can hear it better if needed and still is "silent" to others...... Works for me anyway. Good Luck with your search.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwood Guitars View Post
    We do have a more classic mandolin look with the MRG Mandolin.
    Or, there's a used one for sale here. NFI.
    https://www.musicgoround.com/product...ctric-mandolin
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I just received my Eastwood Mandocaster today. It's pretty nice for the price. The one I received has real good intonation. I bought one for late night practicing when I don't want to wake anyone.