Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making A Case for a Vega Bowlback

Default Making A Case for a Vega Bowlback

So I recently succumbed to a temptation and bought this instrument. My first foray into bowlbacks. I know, I know, I've been saying how I can't buy any more instruments right now, but I overcame the lure of two others, so I'm ahead of the game (kind of like when politicians say they've cut a budget when they didn't expand it as much as they might have)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	205630 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l16003.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	205631

It's now up in Vermont at the Wildwood Flower sitting in a box and awaiting it's turn to be spruced up. So I haven't got it in hand and won't for some time. It hasn't got a case.

There's an opportunity for me to acquire a piece of 1920's luggage that with some modification (shaped foam, padding and lining) could potentially make a cool case for reasonably short $. But I don't know the mandolin's measurements, so I can't be sure of the fit. I guess I'm wondering if anyone has one similar to this and could let me know the length, width and depth of the instrument. (I wouldn't try to make the case before I get the mandolin, I'm just trying to evaluate the potential.)

Thanks to anyone who can help or has any other case related thoughts.
    Last edited by Sue Rieter; Jan-20-2023 at 3:26pm.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Default Re: Making A Case for a Vega Bowlback

Couldn’t you call them and have it measured?
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Most bowl backs are about 24” long; my schmidt 12 strings 2” longer. Width is 8”, depth is 6” to the bridge top. Bodies vary, about 12”. Modern cases exist, and about 1/3 of my rescued instruments came with cases, canvas over cardboard being common, some loading from the back, others with full length lids. I don’t keep any mandolins in their cases, for which I can be judged a temperature-humidity denier by some for whom this is existential.

4. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

Sue: I have a style 3… I am guessing yours is a style 1. I have to say that Vegas in general are among the best of American vintage bowlbacks. I think Jake probably knows this but if he can he should put Dogal Calace RW92b dolce strings on it for the best tone IMHO. I have mine in an old harptone cases made I think in the 1980s.

in the meantime I will PM regarding a case.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Sue, a (later) Vega and case are presently on SGW, photo attached. This is embossed leather, back opening.

Name:	282FFDC5-87F2-4ACF-8ED6-7D0ABD2132B6.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	661.7 KB 
ID:	205635

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Sue: I have a style 3… I am guessing yours is a style 1. I have to say that Vegas in general are among the best of American vintage bowlbacks. I think Jake probably knows this but if he can he should put Dogal Calace RW92b dolce strings on it for the best tone IMHO. I have mine in an old harptone cases made I think in the 1980s.

in the meantime I will PM regarding a case.
    Fair play to you, Sue. I agree with Diego G.

To my ear, Vegas are the most "Italian" sounding of the bigger US producers. (I'm leaving Manello, Ricca, Favilla out for arguments' sake.)

Lighter, more responsive and more resonant.

I had a Style 1 for a long stretch before it became invested in our house.

Jim is right. Get Jake to put on some Dogals. You will love it.

The 20s suitcase case sounds cool.

Post some photos when you McGiver it into service.

I've built a few 'coffin' cases for bowlbacks and enjoy the peculiarity of the bowlback case design challenge.

That's a nice looking mandolin.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

9. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    Sue, a (later) Vega and case are presently on SGW, photo attached. This is embossed leather, back opening.

Name:	282FFDC5-87F2-4ACF-8ED6-7D0ABD2132B6.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	661.7 KB 
ID:	205635
    Those end opening cases are not very practical for carrying though some are nice made. More like a leather gig bag.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Couldn’t you call them and have it measured?
    Bill, I could call up there, but I feel a little bad about it. He's been very good to me and was kind enough to let me drop ship it there and then check it over to make sure there was no shipping damage, etc. But last time I was up there, he was up to his eyeballs in instruments waiting for attention. I thought if someone here had an instrument close at hand (maybe even out on a stand!), it might be easier.

The suitcase has an inside length of 25.75", so if an average bowlback is 24" long, I'm not sure whether that might be too tight of a fit.
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Is it possible you could angle it in the suitcases and gain some length?
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

1 3/4” should be plenty as there are no extras on that headstock. The solid, bentwood case shown has essentially zero clearance over its contents, and looks as if whomever made it might have been able to make the mandolin too…
    But one consideration for transport and impact, is that the bowl has no shoulders and is difficult to restrain, unlike later designs, so both ends are held firm to keep movement small. Unless the case is particularly sturdy, this could be a problem, so if you intend travel, a good conformal fit and shock absorption might be safest.

Name:	52E54276-F343-4D43-AECC-181F05101AD6.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	411.0 KB 
ID:	205649

If I was going to build a case I'd want to have the mandolin in hand. I've always been surprised that more people haven't jumped on the DIY case band wagon. We've had the occasional nice wooden box case but it seems to me that there's an underlying market here for a new breed of builders to build cases. Steve Kirtley (Cafe member Loudloar) has an entire Facebook page and website devoted to vintage cases and some information regarding repairing those cases. I'm surprised more folks haven't tried to build similar cases. I will note that I have on several occasions gathered case parts for cases I've never built so I'm as guilty as anyone else for not doing so.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Sue, I have a #2 style from 1911.
    Entire length: 23 ½ "
    Height of bowl (including bridge): 6 ¼ "
    Length of peg head (including nut): 6 "
    Fingerboard (neck) from bottom of nut to join at 10th fret: 5 ¾ "
    Width of bowl: 8"

Hope this helps.

A cool old suitcase repurposed sounds like a good plan. I've seen a bunch of "handmade" cases over the years and while they function OK, most are overbuilt and way too heavy. (thick plywood, etc.) A suitcase sounds like a good start.

I've also used old suitcases for guitar amp housings -- put modern amp "guts" in an old case for a vintage look. It makes me happier to look at than the plain ol' black box everybody has.

You can tell by now that I am a fan of old suitcases. I taken this back to their original use, I bring old tweed suitcases when I fly and check my baggage -- the advantage is they are easy to spot on the baggage claim conveyor, amidst an endless sea of black bags...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bartl View Post
    Sue, I have a #2 style from 1911.
    Entire length: 23 ½ "
    Height of bowl (including bridge): 6 ¼ "
    Length of peg head (including nut): 6 "
    Fingerboard (neck) from bottom of nut to join at 10th fret: 5 ¾ "
    Width of bowl: 8"

Hope this helps.
    Thanks, Joe. Yeah, the inside measurements of the case are 25.75" x 14.7%"; the depth of the bottom is 7.75" and the top 3.75". I might be able angle the mandolin a bit, too. The top, I guess, would be pretty much filled with foam and padding.

Mike, I'd need to have the mandolin in hand for sure. I'm just doing a feasibility study here.

When you get down to the task at hand consider using paper maché to create the bowl support. There are lots of ways to firm up that medium to support the bowl.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

19. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

I'm rethinking the plan. The case I was looking at weighs about 17 pounds before I even get into foam and padding

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    I'm rethinking the plan. The case I was looking at weighs about 17 pounds before I even get into foam and padding
    That would keep you in shape just carrying it around.

22. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Saw this and thought of your post

https://www.thomannmusic.com/gewa_mandolinenetui.htm

24. The following members say thank you to Steve Mead for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mead View Post
    I think Neil Gladd got one of those. You do have to order from Germany so I believe that with shipping the price is around double. The strange thing about bowlbacks is that the proportions are a bit odd. I have shipped cases and mandolins and rarely can you find a good box that fits them properly with good padding.

The depths of the bowl are considerably deeper than any carved top mandolin which makes it difficult to find a case.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Jan-23-2023 at 6:12pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    That's even more than my Calton case and that's heavy but how often will you be carrying it with other instruments?
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

My Calton weighs 11 lbs. without the mandolin. I always use a shoulder strap when carrying it, it is heavy and I would like something lighter as I get older, but I like the protection it gives. Sue's will most likely end up at 20 lbs. Something to think about.

Yeah, it would be like carrying around a full bag of charcoal or a full water tank from my big humidifier.
    Not that I'd be carrying it around that much, but there are better options.

Just put some wheels on it, like a .... wait for it....suitcase!

That solid bentwood case from 1921 weighs just 2 3/4 pounds, and so far, has survived 102 years. Woodwork!

Name:	103DFACD-6B43-4850-9D7E-915E08281812.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	459.5 KB 
ID:	205699

Sue, I think you should consider making your own clown shoe case out of leather.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber