Thread: Mando Hz string ranges for equalizer

Default Mando Hz string ranges for equalizer

I am thinking about getting an equalizer pedal & wonder if they will work well with my electric mandolins, as they are generally designed for guitars... What are the actual standard (EADGC) mandolin string Hz ranges (vs Guitar)? My intent is to get my mando's output signal clean & balanced BEFORE going into my effects, amp, etc...
    Thanks all! & Mandolin cafe is GREAT!
    AB
    2021 Eastman El Rey mando
    2004 Weber Gallatin spruce & mohagany w K&K pickup
    2002 Schwab 5 string Mandocaster w 2 Duncan humbuckers
    1983 Flatiron 2MC w K&K pickup
    2018 Mesa Engineering Rosette 330-2/8 acoustic amp

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mando Hz string ranges for equalizer

Quote Originally Posted by abworld View Post
    I am thinking about getting an equalizer pedal & wonder if they will work well with my electric mandolins, as they are generally designed for guitars... What are the actual standard (EADGC) mandolin string Hz ranges (vs Guitar)? My intent is to get my mando's output signal clean & balanced BEFORE going into my effects, amp, etc...
    Thanks all! & Mandolin cafe is GREAT!
    The low C is about 130 Hz. Fifths go by 3/2, so the G is ~196, D is 295, A is 440, and the E is 660.

But boosting 660 to help a weak E string will boost that frequency in the other strings, where it is present as a harmonic. The nice thing about a graphic EQ (I like the Boss GE7 or the 6-band MXR) is in shaping a curve. Usually a midrange cut helps a more transparent, clearer tone. I often cut at 800-1000 hz range.

There is no correct EQ. You have to tinker, and the result will also depend on the instrument, your technique, and the speaker cone.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Thanks Tom! I think I'll just go for it, & try to flatten the output so I can adjust all my mandos (pre effects & amps) to a relatively equal/common starting point (hopefully), so the effects & amp settings don't have to all be changed with each instrument change!.Thanks!
    AB
    2021 Eastman El Rey mando
    2004 Weber Gallatin spruce & mohagany w K&K pickup
    2002 Schwab 5 string Mandocaster w 2 Duncan humbuckers
    1983 Flatiron 2MC w K&K pickup
    2018 Mesa Engineering Rosette 330-2/8 acoustic amp

Blog Entries

A better question might be: How do you balance output signals, so that it's not necessary to adjust the tone stack or the gain in your amplifier?

It might be instructive to watch a bunch of rig rundowns, and see what touring guitarists are doing when they change guitars. Certainly they run into the same issue. The Edge changes guitars constantly from Gibsons to Fenders, and nearly everything in between. I'll bet that there's some useful info out there. And I'll be looking for it now too because I've picked up my Telecaster again.

Daniel

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

A couple years ago on a different forum there was discussion about the programmable Audio Source EQ. I remarked that as a mando player, I'd really like to be cued into the ranges of a mando vs. guitar. Robert Smith (the owner of and brilliance behind SA) responded that one day they should make that pedal. Well, that day is evidently here. The SA EQ2 offers just that, with both graphic and parametric eq. What you used to need a fully digital mixer to arrange and control (so missing Almeria Strings obm and his wisdom as I write that!) can now be done with a footstep. The SA deep editing stuff is famous. Oh, want to switch between your El Rey to say, strat style single coils? Easily saved, stored, and recalled on the fly. NFI, but I do have a Collider incoming.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Probably a Htz cross reference for Piano , to be found, online, to correlate to your strings
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture