Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Give me constructive criticism on how to improve

Default Re: Give me constructive criticism on how to improve

OP, for blues, Ken "the rocket" Korb from Long Island, NY, is your man: and

Texas waltzes are quite distinct from Irish waltzes: (wink, wink to those who know)

I watched the first 2 short videos, and this is what I saw and heard. I didn't read through most of the earlier long replies - don't have that kind of attention span tonight. I don't mean to be curt or blunt but this is my basic writing style:

1. I'm only seeing down strokes with your pick. I recommend practicing scales in alternating up/down picking.

2. It looks like you're holding your pick with a "pencil type" grip and using your fingers more than your wrist to move the pick. Google how Mike Marshall shows how to grip the pick. Hold it between the pad of the upper thumb joint and middle index finger joint. The picking action should be like shaking out a lit match.

3. IMO you should focus on learning chords and chopping/strumming a steady rhythm, not trying to pick out a melody alone. Without a solid backing rhythm you're teaching yourself to ignore timing. Most of what we play on mandolin is rhythmic accompaniment. It's important to focus on this.

I came to mandolin after decades of classical violin and folk/country/Americana acoustic guitar. A lot of people treat the mandolin like a pizzicato fiddle or little guitar - neither of which are effective IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    I watched the first 2 short videos, and this is what I saw and heard. I didn't read through most of the earlier long replies - don't have that kind of attention span tonight. I don't mean to be curt or blunt but this is my basic writing style:

1. I'm only seeing down strokes with your pick. I recommend practicing scales in alternating up/down picking.

2. It looks like you're holding your pick with a "pencil type" grip and using your fingers more than your wrist to move the pick. Google how Mike Marshall shows how to grip the pick. Hold it between the pad of the upper thumb joint and middle index finger joint. The picking action should be like shaking out a lit match.

3. IMO you should focus on learning chords and chopping/strumming a steady rhythm, not trying to pick out a melody alone. Without a solid backing rhythm you're teaching yourself to ignore timing. Most of what we play on mandolin is rhythmic accompaniment. It's important to focus on this.

I came to mandolin after decades of classical violin and folk/country/Americana acoustic guitar. A lot of people treat the mandolin like a pizzicato fiddle or little guitar - neither of which are effective IMO.
    No worries. I didn't see anything you wrote as offensive or overly blunt. I do kind of treat it as a mini fiddle, but I see now that doesn't really work (except for finding the notes on the fretboard), a lot of guitar stuff doesn't carry over either I see (based on what little I know about guitar)

Quote Originally Posted by mandocello8 View Post
    OP, for blues, Ken "the rocket" Korb from Long Island, NY, is your man: and

Texas waltzes are quite distinct from Irish waltzes: (wink, wink to those who know)
    I dig these! Especially the blues stuff. Texas waltz was interesting to hear. Why is there only Texas waltz and no Montana waltzes? Kidding.