Thread: Stradolin

Default Stradolin

A banjo player friend has come into a Stradolin that he thinks he might like to sell. He'd like to know a bit more about this one, and what it might take to either get it in good shape, or what it might be worth now.

I've never owned or played stradolins before - I've seen them, but not with this style script on the peghead. There aren't any markings on the inside that either one of us has been able to see.

the action is not too terribly high, but it looks like the neck has possibly lifted. Also, there is some top sinkage (brace?)

So, any idea when it was made? What would be involved in getting these issues fixed? Any ideas on its value - as is, and/or made right?

Thanks in advance.
    Bill

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01-front_full.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	298.8 KB 
ID:	205516Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02-front_body.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	294.6 KB 
ID:	205517Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03-back_full.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	346.6 KB 
ID:	205518Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05-headstock.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	442.6 KB 
ID:	205519Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06-action_12th-fret.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	205520Click image for larger version. 

Name:	07-neck-joint-1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	205521Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08-neck-joint-2.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	205522Click image for larger version. 

Name:	09-bridge-1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	147.4 KB 
ID:	205523Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10-bridge-2.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	205524

Default Re: Stradolin

The stencil font is the same as my 1955. The tuners and tailpiece look replaced. The top might be laminate, mine is solid. There also is a difference in the fingerboard location. Strad-o-lins are varied and mysterious, and the earlier ones are considered pretty good. They may have been built by numerous factories, so tend to have all sorts of detail differences. If you riffle through this forum you’ll see there is considerable interest, which translates to a little value, but mostly for earlier ones.
    Yours looks playable; neck and top not bad. Check out the fret alignments and any wear and fire it up!

The action is not bad. A replacement bridge, or removing some wood from the base of the existing bridge could establish adjustment of action height to get it to one's preference.
    If the neck is reasonably straight and if the frets are good, a set up may be all it needs to play well.
    The top sinkage doesn't look too bad. There may be loose bracing, but if so fixing it can get into dollars beyond the amount for a set up. The neck joint is probably stable and best left alone, especially considering the value of the mandolin.
    The tuners look like replacements, and probably the tailpiece too, but if they work they work.

This is a late model from the 50's. All laminate, as Richard and John pointed out the tuners and the tailpiece have been changed. You'll probably spend more getting that ready to play than you'll get back out of it. Unfortunately, this isn't the best of the breed even if it was in good shape.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thanks to all for your responses and the good information. Much appreciated.

Not much I can add, except that someone must have liked it enough to put on new tuners and tailpiece. FWIW, I think the neck has already been glued back together. Looks like a couple of drops at each end where it meets the back.

Like Mike said, not the best SOL model out there. But might be a fun sound for a jugband or blues tone. Oh, and you can see through the F hole that the top is laminate mahogany.

If it were mine I'd either sand the bottom of the bridge to lower the action a touch, or maybe buy an inexpensive bridge and fit that and sell the original. Oh, and I'd use light strings on it just to make sure nothing goes haywire.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723