Thread: String squeak (guitar)

Default String squeak (guitar)

I was in a jam this weekend and I was creating painful squeaks beyond the licks I was going for. I watched a classical guitar video about changing playing techniques but that's unlikely to happen with me.
    I've been a DAddario phosphor bronze guy out of habit for a long time but wonder if coated strings help with this problem. Or any other tips like Finger Ease or such.

Default Re: String squeak (guitar)

I have encountered this. For me, it was solved by mic placement -- I make sure the mic is aimed slightly below and near or back of, the bridge.

I’d try the Elixir polyweb and see if that works for you, not all coated strings will remove string squeaks but these have probably worked the best for me. I’ve never used it but some people I’ve played with have used Fingerease or Fastfret to help take away the squeaks too.

https://www.elixirstrings.com/guitar...olyweb-coating
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ubricant-spray
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...neck-lubricant

I started with a little mineral oil and realized my wife uses Fast Fret on her bass so did that too. Seems to tame it a little, dropped the Db of the squeaks quite a bit.

Elixirs or coated D’Addairios help. The thicker the coat the less squeak, but the feel is different and tone a little more dull than I coated PB. I tend to favor the newer elixirs (think they’re the nanowebs but could be wrong) that feel and sound more like uncoated PB but are a little slicker.

Monel also has a smoother feel and less squeak IME, and have been my recent favs.
    Chuck

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    I was in a jam this weekend and I was creating painful squeaks beyond the licks I was going for. I watched a classical guitar video about changing playing techniques but that's unlikely to happen with me.
    I've been a DAddario phosphor bronze guy out of habit for a long time but wonder if coated strings help with this problem. Or any other tips like Finger Ease or such.
    From the videos that I´ve seen of you (f.ex. the Karasik mandolin video somewhere on youtube) you should not worry about any string squeek. It just happens. It´s just like pick click when you have a florida extension on your mandolin. I have heard string squeeks on classical guitar players even though the string situation is different.

Don´t bother, brother. (We tend to overthink things)
    Olaf

Exclamation Re: String squeak (guitar)

Half round and flat wound strings are & have been a thing for decades...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

8. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

But the tone!
    It may not exist but I want all the brightness of Phos Bronze with at least a little less zing. My guitar really likes to amplify it.

I didn't hear any string squeaks. I think they get buried in the jam setting.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

You are your own worst critic.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Following up, I just put on some Dadarrio XS coated strings on my guitar and they seem to be a big improvement in the loud zing department. I also have a set of them on my mandolin but the squeak has never been a problem on the mando. I was hoping they would have a bit darker tone. If they do it's not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    I also have a set of them on my mandolin but the squeak has never been a problem on the mando. I was hoping they would have a bit darker tone. If they do it's not by much.
    If you want a slightly darker tone on your mando, you might try some D'Addario flat-wounds.

Quote Originally Posted by meow-n-dolin View Post
    If you want a slightly darker tone on your mando, you might try some D'Addario flat-wounds.
    Or one of the Mike Marshall Apollo picks. They have a nice, dark tone in my hands. More so on the Monels, but they tone down the PB a bit as well.
    Chuck