Thread: Am I approaching this correctly?

Default Am I approaching this correctly?

So, at month four on mandolin I've learned Red Haired Boy, Angeline The Baker, and Salt Creek. I search YT for the basic rhythm guitar, lay down the rhythm guitar on my looper. Then lay down the upright bass over that. Then play the loop to practice the mando chords and melody. Sometimes taking a stab at flat-picking over it too.

I've noticed there are often different versions of the tunes so I try to find two or three that match to learn the basic patterns.

I'm still at Valium Speed, but getting quicker. I'm even noodling a little outside the standard 'tags' on two that I know well.

Is there a better/easier way or am I grinding more or less the best way?

I have a goal of learning 10 standards on guitar, bass, and mando before I go to my first jam. They're all a long drive and I don't wanna waste my time or (especially) the other pickers' time.

Do jams go a little slower with newbies sitting in? Or is it jump in and hang on?

Default Re: Am I approaching this correctly?

There’s lots out there. Try this youtube channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB9...Q2lw/playlists
    With youtube use the settings button and change the speed to suit your need.

And Matt Hutchinson’s Bluegrass Jam Along website and podcast offers a lot and he’s active here on the Cafe as well.
    https://bluegrassjamalong.com/
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...-along-podcast
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

Those BBT videos have been a godsend for learning basic rhythm guitar. I have a few downloaded. I'll check out the Jam Along. Thnx.

You are only at month four but IMHO you are doing fine. Hopefully those ten tunes you are learning are definitely ones that will be played at this first jam. Well, at least one or two. It all depends on the jam and the people who run it how they deal with newbies. We have a couple of long running old time jams up our way that welcome players of all levels. Who ever starts the tune sets the pace and that goes for a few of us who are at Valium speed. But there are also others of us who have been playing for close to half a century who prefer moderate to fast tempos.

I would not put too much pressure on yourself. Play along with all the tunes as best you can and maybe keep a list of the next batch that you can earn for the next time. I know you said these jams are far away but if you see that they are beneficial i would make the extra attempt to keep going. It is a process and we all have gone through it. So, yes, jump in and hang on.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

+1 on all Jim's comments.

Also, seems like you're creating a lot of work making the backing tracks, when there are lots of online resources (like Free Bluegrass Backing Tracks [fbbbt.com] and MandoLessons.com) that have already done that work for you. Plus, on the pay side, there's StrumMachine.com which is only $50/yr and has even more backing tracks, plus the chord charts and a gazillion additional features (tempo, key change, etc.).

And you never really know how a new jam session will go as far as how friendly and accommodating the folks are, but 99% chance they'll be really nice and helpful, as they've all been exactly where you are. Especially if the promo for the jam mentions something like "beginner friendly" - or at least doesn't say something like "for advanced players"
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

the approach seems intense, but if making all those tracks and playing all those parts helps you understand the music then more power to you.
    I think most jams will slow down if need be, a lot don't play fast in the first place so, you may have to find a jam that suits you best.
    Playing tunes is a great way to develop mandolin technique, and a lot of fun when it "works" at a jam, but remember a jam can be good for just trying to play along with a tune you don't know or never heard.
    When I started playing there was no you tube and a backing track was the recording itself (if there even was one on vinyl or whatever), so beginners have a lot more options these days, not to mention how cheap good quality home recording has become.
    When I started playing we had to do scales up hill both ways.
    I think you are on the right track, hopefully the jam you attend is not so rigid (the whole idea of JAM is to be somewhat spontaneous and improvisational). I don't think you have to worry so much about having the tunes perfect under your fingers before attending.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

I prolly should have mentioned the other reason I do the guitar and bass parts is so I can play the tunes on any instrument. I read somewhere that it's difficult to find upright players while everyone and their dog plays guitar. I figure I can offer bass on the tunes I don't know well and go to mandolin on the ones I have down. I have 40+ years gigging lead guitar and bass in bar bands. Bluegrass is a whole 'nother can of worms. Those flat-pickers and mando players are smoking. Sometimes mind boggling fast. I wanna learn that stuff.

The only problem I see about your offering to play bass along with mandolin is that if you are the only bassist they will want you to play bass and your mandolin will sit in its case. If they have a regular attendee on bass then you are fine, of course. Ask before you go.

One other thing: there is a big difference between a bluegrass jam and an old time et one. I our old time jams we rarely play any of the tunes you mention though if you came to ours and started the tune we would certainly play it. So again talk to some regular attendees and find out how things work and maybe get a tune list.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

It's a monthly beginners BG jam at Harry's Guitar Shop in Raleigh that has a song list posted online. There is also a non-beginners' jam at a local food place monthly in Raleigh. But that's a long way off for me, as a beginner. I also connected with a member here that's only an hour away to maybe get together.

I'm surprised to find anyone around my area that plays BG. I can russell up a Classic rock or country gig any day of the week since I switched to bass a few years ago. I sub on bass and lead guitar with a couple different bands. But BG is hard to find.

If my dad was still alive he'd get a kick out of all this. I grew up in Wilkes Co NC and first started to play guitar with my cousins and uncles who all played BG and old timey country. And I hated bluegrass. Always thought it was stupid hillbilly music. Now, at almost 60 years old, it's all I listen to. When my wife complains about the music coming out of our spare/music room I remind her that it's her fault. When my now-deceased FIL got sick and came to live with us she packed up all his instruments. They've been sitting in a case for years and I just pulled them out in October. Been crazy about mandolin ever since. I tell her that her dad (former touring BG player) is haunting me. It is kinda weird.

That beginner’s jam in Raleigh sounds perfect for what you want. I would get over there sooner than later. With your musical knowledge and experience I will bet you are not at the bottom of the heap at that jam. Besides you can always play bass if you feel you are not ready for mandolin.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Where in NC are you? There’s a WONDERFUL Monday evening jam at Brewer’s Kettle in Kernersville. And it’s live-streamed if you want to check it out and see what songs are “standard.” I have a large list from the host, and I am working on that list, but to be honest—you can show up, sit outside the circle, and work on “finding” the chord progression and tinker with improv and no one will mess with you. Then when you’re ready to step into the circle, you’ll be ready. They’ll offer you a break on occasion but you can always refuse if you’re not ready and nobody gives you crap about it.

But to go back…find Brewer’s Kettle on Facebook and you’ll be able to come across the posts. The live stream isn’t always great, volume-wise but it’s another way to start researching “real world” jams. There’s also a Bluegrass Jam page but I’m blanking on the name right now. If I remember or find it I’ll post it.

EDIT: NC based Bluegrass Jams. Plenty of video footage to get you started!

You are on a journey, there is not destination. Each time you reach a peak, there is a new one before you. The journey of 1,000 miles starts with the first step. You have made many steps and are heading in the right direction. Keep on keep'n on. Besides being a lot of clichés, these are all good things to hold in your mind as you progress.

Unfortunately Kernersville is a long haul. Have made a couple of local contacts so I hope those work out. Playing to my looper is getting old.

I think there's a better way. If you can play and switch with some reasonable facility between the I, II, ii, IV, V and vi chords in the keys of A, G and D you're ready to jam. If you can add Bb and B you're more than ready. Get to a jam, play with others. Follow along. Absorb the vibe. Watch, listen and learn.

Go to jams NOW. If you wait until you think you're ready you'll wait too long. No they likely won't slow down for you, but they'll appreciate your effort. Watch the guitar players for the chord changes until you get to where you can identify them by ear. If you get lost, stop playing, watch and listen until you recognize where the tune is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snakum View Post
    Is there a better/easier way or am I grinding more or less the best way?
    I would say can relax, your doing fine. Especially for being at month four. Better than many at the jams I have who take out their instrument every jam but not between.

Do jams go a little slower with newbies sitting in? Or is it jump in and hang on?
    Some do some don't. Guaranteed you will find at times that some tunes will be too fast as least some of the time.

If I may, I would suggest you attend the jam long before you are "ready". Even if only just to listen and get the feeling for how the jam goes. It really helps if the first time you play at the jam is not the first time you have attended the jam. IMO YMMV
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post

If I may, I would suggest you attend the jam long before you are "ready". Even if only just to listen and get the feeling for how the jam goes. It really helps if the first time you play at the jam is not the first time you have attended the jam. IMO YMMV
    That's pretty good advice. Thnx. I have a 0300 wake-up for a 24 hr shift on the ambulance Tuesday. But I may drive up to listen and take the mandolin, just in case.

That's pretty good advice. Thnx. I have a 0300 wake-up for a 24 hr shift on the ambulance Tuesday. But I may drive up to listen and take the mandolin, just in case.
    Ugh, I thought my 0430 wakeup was bad. Though at least I do 12s now. I did 24s for years, they get really old. 30 years in EMS now myself though, so it all gets old!

We usually are 24/72s but we're so short handed it's all hands. I've only got 13 years in, after the Army then 20+ years in the corporate world. I'm hoping to make 20 years in the state system but I dunno if my back and shoulders will take it much longer.

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It takes time. You might as well enjoy the ride while spending that time, as Bob said above. I had to learn that I learn mandolin slower than other people. There's not very much I can do about that, but what is under my control is how much I appreciate the journey. In comparison, your progress sounds great. As others have said, most people never feel ready for their first jam or session. A more important question seems to be about whether you're OK with making mistakes and with just listening to many tunes that you can't play yet.

Jeff mentioned that you could just go along to listen on your first visit. This can be really helpful. You'll get an idea of how the regulars play, what the favourite tunes are, and how nice the players are to each other. All of these are important. And if the group seems nice, you can enter a conversation about what instruments you play, where you are in your journey, what music you like, and so on. If it's a welcoming group, they'll probably invite you to bring your instrument next time and won't expect any fireworks when you do. That's exactly how it happened to me. I never managed to grow into that group properly, but that's a different story. They helped me on my way.

21. The following members say thank you to Gelsenbury for this post:

It's a monthly beginners BG jam at Harry's Guitar Shop in Raleigh that has a song list posted online. There is also a non-beginners' jam at a local food place monthly in Raleigh. But that's a long way off for me, as a beginner. I also connected with a member here that's only an hour away to maybe get together.

I'm surprised to find anyone around my area that plays BG. I can russell up a Classic rock or country gig any day of the week since I switched to bass a few years ago. I sub on bass and lead guitar with a couple different bands. But BG is hard to find.
    I am near wilmington North Carolina and I have been thinking about going to that same jam at harry's! I am trying to work on the standards before showing up aswell.

We usually are 24/72s but we're so short handed it's all hands. I've only got 13 years in, after the Army then 20+ years in the corporate world. I'm hoping to make 20 years in the state system but I dunno if my back and shoulders will take it much longer.
    Unfortunately, due to choices I made about agencies and positions, I won't get any pension program funds, only SS. I'd encourage you to stick it out! It's worth it. I could have been retired from my first career FD now with a pension and be doing a lot better. As far as the music, same. It always seems like it's slow, or you're not always onto it at first. But it comes around.