Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering starting a local jam. Would like some input.

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Considering starting a local jam. Would like some input.

I'm considering starting a beginner friendly old time string jam in my local area. A couple hours on a Saturday once a month. I think I can get my local library to host.

I specifically want it to be beginner friendly. And I think calling it an "Old Time String Jam" will set the expectation that it is NOT exclusively bluegrass. Which should head off the question "What counts as bluegrass and what doesn't?"

My plan is to use meetup.com to reach people, plus the library would post it on its web site.

The idea would be we sit in a circle and take turns calling songs. If you call a song then you are expected to lead the playing & singing for that song. Then pass the solo around the circle, with choruses in between. Ask everyone who plans to attend to prepare at least one song to lead.

And of course we would let people pass calling a song, and pass on soloing if they want. But of course most long time players would want a chance to solo every song.

I'm thinking we could use Bruce Dix's Parking Lot Picker's Songbook. It has ~250 old time, bluegrass, & gospel songs in it, and there are guitar, mandolin, banjo, and fiddle versions. I could get the Kindle version, and hook my lap top to the flat screen TV in the event room so everyone could see the lyrics & chord changes.

I'm thinking I could plan to open every jam with Mama Don't 'Llow. It's pleasantly up tempo, easy to play, just about everyone already knows the words, and it really lends itself to passing the solo around between choruses. It has the disadvantage of NOT being in the Parking Lot Picker's Songbook, but I can make a .pdf fairly easily.

I'd also like to have one song to close the jam each time. I'm thinking maybe Will The Circle Be Unbroken. It's a classic, but I'm open to other ideas. I definitely want something that will fit the format of play & sing along, and then pass the solo around the circle between choruses. And lively, perhaps less maudlin than Will The Circle Be Unbroken.

So my first question is does this sound like it would be FUN? Would it be something other people would want to attend and come back to?

I specifically want something that would be beginner friendly. Is this TOO MUCH of that? Would long time pickers be put off?

I'm thinking Saturdays once a month. Would you be more likely to attend if it was 10:00-12:00, 1:00-3:00, or if it was 5:00-7:00?

The format I've outlined more or less excludes tunes, just allows for songs with lyrics & choruses. I'm kinda OK with that, but would other people be?

Is having regular opening & closing songs a dumb idea? I like the idea because if I say on meetup.com "We open with this song, we close with this song, and we ask you to prepare and bring one song" then that means a new beginner could attend and know for sure he will be able to play three of the songs that day.

Is saying "The Bruce Dix book is our songbook" too limiting? I like the idea of being able to put the lyrics & chord changes up on a screen. And it's 250-ish old time string band standards. That should be enough for everyone to find SOMETHING they like. But Wagon Wheel won't be in there.

I haven't started organizing anything yet. I'd like some feedback from the community first.

Please let me know what you think.
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Default Re: Considering starting a local jam. Would like some input.

A couple of thoughts on issues I have seen with jams, which you may not have thought about.

The first is ASCAP/BMI. I think you are ok in a library as it is not a profit making venue but am not certain. I have seen a couple of jams in restaurants shut down by ASCAP. One was pretty long standing but hit the internet and then ASCAP sent the restaurant owner a cease and desist or pay us letter. He could not afford the fees. One jam at a music store only went on after the store closed for the day. People were not allowed to come listen as an audience without participating. This was to avoid ASCAP problems.

The second is leadership. It takes a very fine hand to lead a jam. It has to be someone who is a good enough musician everyone will respect but with enough diplomacy to keep the jam on some kind of track while still making people feel welcome. People will try to hijack the jam out of ego. A leader has to be able to stop that and keep the circle moving without causing a fight. Someone good enough to lead may not want to play strictly at beginner level. You might want to consider paying someone if they are available. But then that brings in the ASCAP issue in a public venue.

A bass is a wonderful thing especially with beginners and lower intermediates. A good bass player can be the right hand of God in keeping jams together.

I have mixed feelings about jamming from a book. For beginners it can be very helpful. The jams are a lot more fun though if everyone can bring songs. The greatest fun can be when someone brings in a new song that turns out great. However especially with beginners it can quickly devolve to greatest pop, country and soft rock hits of the seventies. If you want it to be all Wagon Wheel and Achy Breaky Heart and the Eagles it is fine but if you want bluegrass and old time that line has to be drawn. That comes back to a good leader. Also working out of a book has the drawback that people will not really know the songs. Personally I have a policy that I will not lead songs in public, either at a jam or performance that I do not know the lyrics, chords and melody without a book. I have known some people who could perform effectively with a book as a crutch but it detracts from the performance for most people, sometimes badly. In a jam you need at least one or two players who really know the song to pull it along.

As far as the level of players, that will ebb and flow. It will be difficult to get and keep higher level players at a beginner friendly jam. One way which I saw work was a once a month jam that went for quite a few hours where it would start out beginner level then about 9:30 or 10 PM the permanent beginners had mostly left. Then it could get pretty hot. There was also a very high level professional jam leader who made it work. I have seen some jams where the lower level players gravitated away from the jam over time as stronger players started attending. That was even with a lot of deliberate effort to make them feel welcome. Stronger players will definitely not want to attend much at a jam where everyone is reading from a book and songs are limited to that book. In the end it will depend on how many musicians are in your area and interested. You jam with the musicians you actually have.

Good luck and have fun.
    Last edited by CarlM; Jan-09-2023 at 2:40pm.

Its kinda cool how Bruce Dix's name is the reverse of mandolinist and writer Dix Bruce.
    Bren

Another option is Jim's Songbooks from ozbcoz.

ozbcoz.com/songbooks

Currently around 3500 songs in the pdf. Plenty of old timey, but also classic rock and modern. And a lot of the string band standards are missing.

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

I hear what you're saying, Carl. I just know that personally I don't have fun at a jam if everyone is playing songs that I don't know and I don't have a chart. I've even had people tell me "Oh, I'll be the chord billboard. Just watch me for the changes." And then at the first chord change they go up to the 9th fret and spend the whole rest of the song arpeggiating. For them, fun. For me, none.

As far as bass goes, yes it would be wonderful to have a bass player but I don't own one and I don't play one. It would be up to the music gods if someone in the area hears about the jam and wants to play bass. But I'm certainty not paying anyone to do it.

I'm thinking that jams are like many other things in life - Everyone wants to play, but until someone organizes and starts one then nobody plays. As a result I've always had a lot of appreciation for people who put themselves out there, and have always tried my best to offer support.

And also like many things it takes a lot of work by a lot of people to keep it alive, but it only takes one jerk to kill it.

This is a difficult task, and I wish you well.

I don’t know if ‘beginner friendly’ and ‘slow jam’ are the same to you. Beginners will not have a large repetoire and may not have enough mastery to play songs in several keys. Slow jam will be tedious for better players. Mixing a variety of genres is it’s own challenge. And some folks will want to do their own tunes, often jambusters.

To start you may want to manage the choices, ie, no homegrown tunes, a substantial quorum should either know the tune selected or be able to manage the changes by ear or with some help, maybe a blackboard.

You might struggle early on, but eventually you will create a core group and sustaining it will become easier.

Of course at some point the control of the group may get away from you. That’s another interesting challenge.

As I said, best of luck. It’s a great endeavor.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    I hear what you're saying, Carl. I just know that personally I don't have fun at a jam if everyone is playing songs that I don't know and I don't have a chart. I've even had people tell me "Oh, I'll be the chord billboard. Just watch me for the changes." And then at the first chord change they go up to the 9th fret and spend the whole rest of the song arpeggiating. For them, fun. For me, none.

As far as bass goes, yes it would be wonderful to have a bass player but I don't own one and I don't play one. It would be up to the music gods if someone in the area hears about the jam and wants to play bass. But I'm certainty not paying anyone to do it.

I'm thinking that jams are like many other things in life - Everyone wants to play, but until someone organizes and starts one then nobody plays. As a result I've always had a lot of appreciation for people who put themselves out there, and have always tried my best to offer support.

And also like many things it takes a lot of work by a lot of people to keep it alive, but it only takes one jerk to kill it.
    Then definitely advertise it as a beginner jam. Be very thankful if any seriously good players come back very many times. Good luck.

I run 2 different jams, here are my thoughts, for what they're worth:

One of my jams is a weekly one, at a local farmstand. It moves indoors in the winter, to a room in a church. So far, no issues with licensing agencies. Maybe we've just been lucky, but I wouldn't sweat that end of things.

We have everyone from near-beginners to accomplished players and try to make everyone welcome. Inevitably there are a couple songs where the newbies get kinda lost. In that case, they do their best, or sit that one out. I do think there is a component that should be a learning experience. By the same token, I might get bored playing John Hardy or Two Dollar Bill for the gazillionith time. However, I am working on my bass playing and every song is an opportunity to do so.

Speaking of which, it's great to have a bass player, especially if you have over 5 or 6 participants. But you can live without one.

As far as forgetting some lyrics, again, I wouldn't sweat it. Maybe I just think that because lots of my jammers are "older," myself included. It happens all the time. As my girlfriend likes to remind me, "you're not rehearsing for Carnegie Hall."

I don't love the idea of playing from a book, although some people bring an Ipad or written lead sheets to work from. I know a guy who leads a jam where they go by the book, and things quickly go the way of "everyone turn to page 12." Just a personal preference.

Only you can decide on the material "allowed." At my church jam we stick fairly strictly to bluegrass and country, but some people bring folk songs, and that's ok with me. However I also run a jam here at the house where pretty much anything goes. Blues, rock, country, whatever. (The only time I had to outright ban a song was when someone insisted on playing something by Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show, I mean enough is enough!)

We did used to open that jam with "Let Us Get Together Right Down Here," by Rev. Gary Davis, which seems like an appropriate opener. Then I finally got tired of it and moved on. At my weekly jam we often open with "Jambalaya," which is simple and a good warmup tune. It seems like "Irene Goodnight" is often the closer. So, nothing wrong with that idea.

On the topic of managing personalities... oy vey, where to begin? Problems do arise for sure. I feel like, if you're a nice guy and do your best, then things will be ok. All in all, it's a very rewarding experience, and not a jam goes by where I don't get lots of thank-you's.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    The format I've outlined more or less excludes tunes, just allows for songs with lyrics & choruses. I'm kinda OK with that, but would other people be?
    If I saw a local jam advertised as an "Old Time String Jam" I would be thinking that we're just gonna be playing tunes. Not saying that I wouldn't attend your format, but yeah, if I couldn't play tunes I would be disappointed.

I definitely plan to present the jam as "Beginner Friendly Old Time String Jam." So that opens the door to old timey, folk, gospel, country, and bluegrass. And hopefully opens the door to beginners. And if it's too basic for skilled players then that's up to them.

IMO original compositions are something for an open mike night, which this will NOT be. This will be a time to call songs that we can all play & sing along with, and take turns soloing over the chord progression. So that might make some people feel like their creative toes are stepped on, but you simply have to draw the line somewhere.

I think having a "suggested songbook" solves a lot of the issues over beginners not knowing a lot of songs, what key is the song in, where are the chord changes, and how can people who don't know the song be expected to play along. Get the Kindle version pf the song book, Kindle app on your laptop, and hook the laptop up to the flat screen. Now everyone can follow along. But I do agree that it should be "suggested songbook," not limited exclusively to. Maybe ask everyone to prepare two songs, but have one of them be from the book? Something like that.

The other solution would be for someone to be the Designated Chord Billboard, but that's a job, a responsibility. If everyone is looking at you to know what the chords are and when to change then you have to play open cowboy chords, no capo, and limited embellishments. Otherwise the people trying to follow along will get lost. That might limit the enjoyment of the DCB.

I agree with Steve 2E. Where I come from (lower Hudson Valley, NY State) most musicians would expect a fiddle tune oriented jam with few songs. To avoid confusion and keep it non-bluegrass and more song oriented call it something else. Maybe “Traditional Song Jam”? Or at least something descriptive of what you want it to be.

I ran an old time (fiddle-oriented) jam for over 13 years. It was just a group of like-minded musicians. It organically developed into a commuinity minded gathering at out local farm and has continued to the present. It wasn’t however one person’s idea of a jam. So I would say get a few of your like minded fellow musicians who like this idea and they can be the core of this venture. It could be nice but again, call it what it is and avoid a bunch of disappointed fiddlers and banjo players showing up.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

What you're describing is a song circle, most definitely NOT an old time jam. DON'T bill it as an old time jam - call it an acoustic jam.

You need at least one attendee you can count on to be the rhythm keeper/cowboy chord player. Printing out song sheets or following a book is a major PITA, because:
    1. Now everyone wants to bring a music stand. This further blocks their view so they can't see chords and cues from the leader. And it WILL hinder their development as a hammer.
    2. If a simple two-chord tune like Jambalaya, Tulsa Time, etc. is called and isn't in the book people will flounder because they haven't got used to simply watching, listening and following.
    3. People will have their eyes and attention glued to a page instead of watching and listening to each other.

In the past 50 years I've played in classical symphonies, big bands, as a member of quartets, trios, duos and solo. I've also participated in and led workshops, song circles, jams, open mics, etc.

For an all levels and abilities open jam you want everyone to focus on the person leading the tune. They need to learn how to lead a tune, how to take a lead (or pass it, or share it). How to start and end it.

I'm currently in several jams a month, and one of these has a songbook to follow. I still enjoy it and the people I play with there, but its a lot clunkier than the standard style jams I attend, because of the book.

13. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

newton 

Yeah... don't call it an Old Time jam unless it's mostly fiddle tunes. And ditch the songbooks and chord charts. Most folks who want to come to a jam session can or can learn to follow along. Leader calls the song, sings the lead part, calls for soloists (or just have them go around the circle).

Songbooks aren't banned. Just don't use all your energy providing print materials, most of which are not needed.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

In my vicinity there’s a weekly jam that takes place in a music school. The leader is always a working pro who does a great job of managing players of varying skills. Each participant can call a tune and and the leader takes a couple minutes to chart the chords on a large white board. Newbies are always welcome to play chords if they don’t want a lead.

One potential issue can be keeping players at moderate volume. I once attended a Celtic slow jam led by an accordion that was so freaking loud most of us couldn’t hear ourselves. I never went back, and the event dissolved soon after.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

Most of us think "Old Time String Jam" means mostly fiddle tunes, but to the general public, I'm sure there are a lot of people who think they can come and play Eagles songs.

One thing you might do to promote easy learning for the beginners is pick a "song of the week" and send it out a week or so ahead of the jam. This will give folks a chance to practice it. My wife and I coordinate the Williamsburg Old Time Music Group here in Virginia. We have a song list with about 150 OT fiddle tunes that we have developed over many years and use as our guide during jams. My wife calls many of the tunes, but anyone else can jump in if they have one they would like to play. Folks bring new songs, and we try to learn them together. We let anyone who missed that jam know that we are working on these new tunes. This jam has been going on now for many years. We usually get between 12 - 15 players and meet twice a month. For awhile we tried having a slow jam for the first 30 minutes to help the beginners, but eventually stopped doing that. Most everyone learns, and plays, by ear, and we found the beginners catch on pretty quickly.

I also attend an open acoustic jam weekly that has also been going for a long time. Years ago, we used the Bluegrass Fake Book as out song guide. However, it slowly morphed into a more open jam and now there is folk, bluegrass, country, and lite R&R. I liked it better when it was BG. This transition occurred because the leaders, over time, allowed the music creep to happen. So I agree with the poster above who stressed the need for strong leadership, or chaos will result.

What you are proposing sounds like the original version of this jam. Definitely not old time, but more appropriately titled an acoustic jam. Your leadership will determine the actual format and content.

In any event, good luck, and above all have fun.

PM me your phone number if you to discuss any of this.
    Richard

Eastman 305
    Gibson A1 (1919)
    Martin D16 guitar
    Great Divide Guitar (Two-Old-Hippies)
    OME 11" banjo (1973)
    Pisgah 12" banjo

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    Yeah... don't call it an Old Time jam unless it's mostly fiddle tunes. And ditch the songbooks and chord charts. Most folks who want to come to a jam session can or can learn to follow along. Leader calls the song, sings the lead part, calls for soloists (or just have them go around the circle).

Songbooks aren't banned. Just don't use all your energy providing print materials, most of which are not needed.
    Pretty much this. Not rocket surgery.

There's a very beginner friendly jam I attend once a week at a church, and the way it's run seems pretty good to me.
    It's called a "acoustic jam" because it's open to whatever genre. Mostly bluegrass and fiddle tunes are played but sometimes someone will call a blues, country, or folk tune and it's no problem.
    Circle format, passing to the left for calling out songs and taking breaks. Most of the newer players will only take breaks on a few songs. For the better known tunes, and straight tunes with just I, IV, and V chords we call out the key of the song and get right into it. For lesser known tunes and ones with odd chords in them, the caller will let everyone know where the odd chords are.
    I started going to this jam only 2 weeks into my mandolin journey and never felt unwelcome or totally lost, you might just have to help out sometimes with players that are struggling (try to sit close to them and perhaps call out chords if they aren't getting them).

Although I didn't mention it in my short post above, I consider it to be basic jam etiquette that the person who calls a song - the 'leader' - names the key and runs through the structure of the song's verses and chorus. This can be very fast for a familiar song with familiar structure, and more 'careful' with less familiar songs with surprising structure or chords.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

The reality is that no matter what your intent of the jam vibe is, it will be somewhat dictated by who shows up. I ran one for a year or so and would have loved for it to be a small advanced level jam, but the area's picker demographic supported more of a intermediate play the same songs every time kind of vibe. I wasn't going to ask people to stop coming of course, many of them are friends, but it wasn't what I was hoping for.

If you are descriptive enough in the title with something like "Beginners Jam" or "slow jam" that might help.

The venue should also dictate if you need a sound setup or not. The best jam in our area (Cornelius, NC) is in a bar that can be empty or get loud, so we usually have 3-4 mics set up. Another jam I have been to is in a library after hours. They pass a mic around the circle on a rolling dolly and really don't need it.

Speaking as someone who can play most any tune that is called, but cannot remember the lyrics to ANYTHING, I think books should be welcomed, but not mandated.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Egerton For This Useful Post:

Not really at a jam, but I played one time with a very accomplished musician. I only knew a few chords and did not have my mandolin with me. When my wife mentioined I was learning to play mandolin, the musician got excited and went and got her mandolin and guitar. She sang and played guitar, I played her mandolin. She called out the chord changes for me. I really appreciated her doing that for me and have never forgotten it. I said that because I don't know whether or not having someone calling out chord changes would bother accomplished players (like most of the input so far), but it really helps a beginner. It was really fun playing with her.

Blog Entries

Opening a jam at a public venue does bring in the Pro companies. ASCAP is not the only one -- there are four or five Pro companies that can all submit claims to venues. They tend to not go after K-12 schools or places of worship, but any other public venue can be open game. There are legal avenues that small public venues can opt for, but they involve strict monthly bookkeeping of song and audience sizes, plus the Pro companies tend to try hard to setup ethereal roadblocks to having to do monthly accounting. And, if the venue dictates that only public domain music is performed, that can help, but it also has to be strictly documented. The venue is ultimately responsible, not the performers or jammers, so one way or the other it is an added expense for the venue.

Jams also tend to need to have rules to keep things organized, otherwise people will leave disappointed that they didn't get to play or to do their songs, etc. That's probably the best reason for selecting a specific genre, as many genre also identify the kind of jam organization that is involved. Specifically bluegrass and jazz jams have recognizably different organization. But also open-mic and karaoke jams, which are not necessarily genre specific, have different organization.

Genre can also help dictate the music selection process and kind of equipment used. Bluegrass jams have somewhat random song selections and acoustic-only stringed instruments, no mics or amps or percussion and little or no written music. Jazz and rock jams tend to have mostly electric, percussion or band instruments and mics, as well as strictly pre-selected songs with written music for them. Folk and country jams tend to have mostly acoustic-only instruments including light percussion and sometimes amped instruments, with more formal song selections and song lists.

Sometimes when setting up a new jam, it's easier to define what kind of instruments are allowed by selecting the genre based jam organization and then being less stringent about the actual genre of music allowed. For example, most of the bluegrass jams I see happening are strict about being acoustic string instruments only and strict about the take-turns circle-jam concept, but less strict about the actual genre of the songs being done.

Then also, some jams also pre-define the skill level of musicians that are welcomed. That's of course is much more complicated, but it also has the effect of keeping songs moving along smoothly.

Usually if things are left officially undefined in a jam, there are at least subtle conflicts that arise at one time or another. So thinking things out before announcing the jam is a very good idea. There are a lot of details involved, so having more than one person in charge of the jam is also a good way to cover all the concerns before starting it.

Currently I host a daily online bluegrass jam. Online jams include many if not most of the details described above, plus they are much more technically complicated, but especially since the pandemic, they have been very helpful for people who want to jam. As the pandemic eases, many of us continue to meet daily. Depending on the online service used, one big advantage of online jams can be that they are not necessarily restricted to local people. My online bluegrass jam routinely includes jammers from all over North America and a few from the UK, so there are a lot of interesting cultural influences that come into play.

Of course since the pandemic, many venues and local jams have closed. A few are starting to form again, others remain closed mostly due to continuing health related concerns. Organizers of in-person jams, as well as organizers of any in-person public events, have a lot more to consider now than they did before the pandemic...

Just as an example, I personally caught my first Covid19 at a jam hosted by a friend, where 4 to 5 other people, including their spouses, also caught it. There was no way to know in advance, and really no single person was at fault, but a lot of folks got sick. Flu and cold viruses are also very easily spread. Just something else to think about.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

A couple of Brad Laird's podcasts about starting a (bluegrass) jam:

Episode 104 - Homebrewing a Jam Session

Episode 169 - The Life Blood of Bluegrass

Always a fun and informative listen!
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Good Luck, while I realize a bass is awesome to have, a very strong guitar who can set rhythms and lead chord changes actually helps more to get people "Jamming".
    Unless you're Sam Bush, Solo mandolin as rhythm instrument can be challenging.
    I think ideas like "Tune of the week" and same song to start and stop are actually very good, most "beginners" or those stuck on a plateau are looking for guidance.
    I would avoid tune books as "requirement" (I attended a jam once where everyone had a copy of "The Portland collection" except me, while I was able to manage playing along it did a feel a little bit "Cliquey")
    Chord sheets or if you can project a chord sheet on the wall helps.
    Usually with these, if you are lucky enough to get "regulars", that kind of becomes the norm, and when strangers show up it can be either an annoying interruption or a welcome breath of fresh air.
    Nothing wrong with attempting an Eagles song with and old time group either.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Mentioned a couple of times, I think. It is really difficult to lead the chord progression and lead a song with a mandolin in a setting with several instruments. Other players just can't hear it well enough, even if mics are used. People who don't know the songs or the style will need to hear a strong rhythm. A good rhythm guitar player and a bass player make things a lot easier. If they are committed to be there each time, then you're pretty well set.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook