Thread: What is this?

Default What is this?

Hi, I am relatively new to the Irish Bouzouki, so here is a real beginner's question. What is this? Thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2023-01-06_11-48-45.png 
Views:	102 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	205313

Default Re: What is this?

Looks like a tuner that clips on the headstock. D'Addario makes several varieties and I'm sure other brands do too.

https://www.daddario.com/products/ac...ndolin-tuners/
    Eastman MD315 Mandolin

Photo quality isn't great but my first thoughts when seeing it was that it was just part of the headstock carving - Joe Foley incorporates something like that on the headstocks of his instruments and I'm fairly sure I've seen photos of another more recent builder who does the same thing on some, not all, of the instruments he makes. Check out the headstock on this Joe Foley bouzouki that was for sale on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/34259021-joe...irish-bouzouki
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

4. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fannin View Post
    Looks like a tuner that clips on the headstock.
    Thanks and I thought of this too but I think not. I've seen many videos on Youtube with professional players with this at the end of the headstock - they are all more or less the same shape with some kind of motif I think on the front. I think Jill's answer is probably the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Photo quality isn't great but my first thoughts when seeing it was that it was just part of the headstock carving - Joe Foley incorporates something like that on the headstocks of his instruments and I'm fairly sure I've seen photos of another more recent builder who does the same thing on some, not all, of the instruments he makes. Check out the headstock on this Joe Foley bouzouki that was for sale on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/item/34259021-joe...irish-bouzouki
    Yes, that must be it. I did wonder whether it was in fact a part of the instrument as you say or some added gadget. I had never seen such a clear image as the one you link to and which pretty much answers my question.

Maybe Joe Foley should offer a built in tuner option. Come to think of it that finial doodad limits the location of a clip-on tuner somewhat.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post: