Thread: Gibson A3 with A2Z Body

Default Gibson A3 with A2Z Body

I have a very interesting 1923 ish A3 with a body style of an A2Z with white and black binding on the body and sound hole. Serial number is covered by a NY music shop sticker but the first 3 numbers are 716xx and the Font #11746. Could be one of the last A3 necks put on an A2Z body. I will try to post some Pics Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0713.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	365.6 KB 
ID:	205261
    Last edited by thunderfingers; Jan-04-2023 at 9:21pm.

Default Re: Gibson A3 with A2Z Body

/more pics Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0716.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	410.5 KB 
ID:	205268Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0716.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	410.5 KB 
ID:	205268

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0714.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	477.5 KB 
ID:	205269

Do you have a picture of the label? I’m curious to see what the style number is. Does it have A3 on the label?

It looks like A3 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0721.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	426.7 KB 
ID:	205270

6. The following members say thank you to thunderfingers for this post:

Its all original with some play ware, org case and a clear booming sound. Looks like Gibson had an A3 neck and put it on the new style A2Z body.

Teacher, repair person

The factory order number indicates a construction date of 1922, last year for the A-3 and first year for the A-2Z.

Bear in mind that the ivory A-3's from 1918 to 1922 usually had had double bound tops and a rosette similar to the one on the mandolin above, and that many A-2Z's also had a similar rosette. Also bear in mind that A-3's were made in three colors over the years. Blonde was standard on pre-1918 models, and ivory was standard beginning in 1918. Also, a very few factory original black A-3's have surfaced over the years, which were probably custom ordered instruments.

What you have here is most likely a late A-3 that was custom ordered with a blonde top.

It has been suggested that when Gibson changed their model specifications in 1922-23, the double bound A-2Z's were built by putting snakehead necks on leftover bodies from the discontinued A-3 line.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

Thanks for your information, must be one of the phase out A3 to phase in A2z. Wonder how many were made this way during the transition. Maybe there are some white body snakeheads out there.

Teacher, repair person

I would think the chances of seeing another blonde A-3 made after 1918 would be quite small.

Two black ones have come to my attention. It has been well over 20 years ago since those surfaced. I have not heard of another since.

I suppose it's possible that a white snakehead could surface, but my guess is that Gibson probably ran out of white "paint" before they ran out of paddle head necks.
    Which is also another possible explanation for your end-of-production blonde A-3.