Thread: Octave Mandolin Thoughts / Questions.

Default Octave Mandolin Thoughts / Questions.

Hey all

I'm looking for some advice on good octave mandolins and just curious what is out there. I have about $3k - $5k to spend and would love to get something that both sounds and looks nice. I'm a bit torn between the F style octaves and "guitar" octaves (not a tenor guitar - but rather an 8 string on a re-purposed acoustic guitar or similar). I don't like the way A styles look so likely wouldn't go that way (I'm vain, I know).

I haven't really done tons of searching yet and still have to sell my mandocello before I can commit to buying another instrument - but I was hoping to get some broad stroke thoughts from those that play octaves today. I'm mostly seeing Northfields which I've heard good things about - though never played one.

I would ideally be using the octave for both bluegrass and gypsy jazz styles primarily.
    Questions:

1. What brands / models should I focus on given the price range?
    2. Who are your favorite octave mandolin players (regardless of genre)?
    3. Are there any particular pieces / songs / tunes you play on your octave that are considered "standard" octave tunes?
    4. Are there any specific things I should look for in an octave (specific wood types, common issues / defects etc)? I know this may be subjective, but I'm still interested.

Thanks!
    Information on lessons, gigs, and misc musical stuff: www.mattcbruno.com
    Weekly free Mandolin Lessons: www.mattcbruno.com/weekly-posts/
    My gear and recommendations: www.mattcbruno.com/gear-recommendations/
    Cooking fun: www.mattcbruno.com/quarantine-cookbook/

Mando's in use
    Primary: Newson 2018
    Secondary: Gibson F9 2014
    Primary Electric: Jonathan Mann OSEMdc 5

Default Re: Octave Mandolin Thoughts / Questions.

This may not be super useful input since I’m pretty new to stringed instruments in general and just got an octave a month ago. I picked up a Pono guitar-bodied octave here on the classifieds and I just love the sound of it. Overnight it magically sounds like I can play guitar. For those who already play guitar this may not be helpful, but for a new player like me it was spectacular to literally overnight have the sound I was looking for for solo acoustic vocals/folk/rock/country.
    So to answer your first question I’d be at least giving a look to the KR Strings Octolindo (they have 8 and 4 string versions) which I think are relatives of the Pono.

3. The following members say thank you to NDO for this post:

I haven’t played one so take my opinion eith a grain of salt. I’ve talked with two Fylde owners (one OM and one cittern) and both expressed full satisfaction with them. They’re U.K.-built and not terribly ready-to-hand here on the U.S. West Coast. https://www.fyldeguitars.com/
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

5. The following members say thank you to Kenny for this post:

pdawg 

You have a realistic budget to consider both flat top and archtop OMs. I think that should be your first decision point, because they do sound different.

With the warning that the following is just personal opinion, I'm not a fan of guitar-style, flat top OMs. They're not "mandolinny" enough for my ears. I like a dark, punchy "big Gibson mandolin" voice, not something closer to a 12-string guitar. You'll get other opinions, I know there are fans of guitar-based OMs here.

As for your other questions, because I'm happy with my Weber OM I'm not familiar with the range of builders out there now, so I can't make a recommendation but I'm sure others will. Especially for independent luthiers, now that Weber has suspended production (I think?). Keep an eye on the used market. I was lucky to find a Weber Yellowstone F-style OM on Ebay years ago. I snatched it as soon as I saw it, but they don't show up very often.

Your other big decision will be scale length. Shorter scales like 20" are easier to finger. Longer scales like 22" on my Weber OM take more hand stretch, but generally speaking will have more sustain due to basic scale length physics. You already have a mandocello so you're better prepared for this decision on playability of longer scales than most. I don't find my 22" scale Weber difficult to play using only slightly modified standard mandolin fingering, but I'm 6'2" tall with proportionally large hands.

I'm not sure I have a favorite OM player because it's such a niche area. Ale Möller comes closest, and he doesn't actually play OM but a Swedish version called a Latmandola with added bass drones. I've always wanted one of those, but they're even rarer than other OM styles.

Standard OM tunes? I'm not sure there is such a thing. I play Irish/Scottish trad, and most of what I play on my OM are the slower tempo tunes like marches, strathspeys and metered airs, where I can milk the sustain. I prefer mandolin for the faster reels and jigs due to the quicker response. As with most OM owners, you'll have to discover your own repertoire that sounds good on the instrument.

Good luck on your decision, and let us know what you end up with!
    Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

HolgerNbayrfrssjk 

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

My interest in the octave mandolin stems from Sarah Jarosz and by extension Tim O’Brien. As a result, I was drawn to the guitar-bodied archtop as popularized by Fletcher Brock and Andrew Mowry. There is an example at the top of your budget from the latter on Reverb right now:

https://reverb.com/item/63607801-mow...ctave-mandolin

There is also one in the middle of your budget from Bill Bussmann at Old Wave:

https://reverb.com/item/64488869-old...-mandolin-2017

In my own case, I was able to pick up an early GBOM from Mike Black:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AF24108B-8A3D-416B-A78E-A5F84ED25175.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	205253

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A4DFAA6B-A7A5-4F1D-8821-E596BFF6D9EC.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	205254
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

9. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

I have a KR Strings Mandolindo F Deluxe. Engelmann spruce flat top with f-holes and rosewood back and sides. $3.5k bought direct from Kilin Reece: https://www.krstrings.com/
    I like it a lot, as it fits nicely (to my ear) between mandolin and guitar. Some I've tired were too much guitar like (the Northfields) and some too mandolin like (the Eastman's). YMMV.

For me, flat top GBOMs are much more guitarish than archtops. I have a Weber A20 but my Pono & Northfield are on the wall while the Weber is upstairs waiting to be sold My Pono is a 12 fret & a 21.5" scale which I think gives it a little more pop. The Northfield's 1/2" longer scale & 14 frets to the body give it a softer feel & warmer tone. I have flats on the Northfield at the moment and tune it down a half step. I'd like to get an archtop GBOM with a cutaway some day but I gotta get through college first. Tuition that is!
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

Blog Entries

Octave mandolins respond to different woods and different strings in a big way. (As well as different body shapes and sizes.)

If you are going to play some gypsy jazz and bluegrass, you are not going to want huge sustain, as with a rosewood guitar body. Also the depth of the body makes a very bass driven sustain that can be troublesome when you want crisp and quick notes and chords.

As for chords, I'm not a big fan of 'jangling strings' that you get with larger, double course instruments. (I love it in Irish music however...).

If I were playing this kind of music I'd want fewer strings. (4 instead of 8). An eight string can be great if it is given a good shape, and select woods.

Flat top and arch top can both serve well.

Hope this helps.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

This is on facebook but it sounds and looks (F style octave) pretty good and is in your range

Micawber Haystack Octave Mandolin - Worn Top
    $2,550
    Listed 20 hours ago in Brentwood, TN

Noah Krieg is the name on Facebook

other wise you might find a used Bitterroot or an Eastman in that range

as for the other questions
    I have both a Weber Gallatin A style octave (20") and Weber Black Ice F style (20")
    The Gallatin is slightly better for Celtic drones , but I play Celtic on the Black Ice.

I think the Webers, and Eastman's are generally good, I did like the Northfields that I have played

Bill Bussmann had a good reputation for a bit but his stuff is rarer and rarer
    Clarks are of course high end but very very good.

A lot of high end builders have made octaves, but usually one here and there.

Not sure of pricing but Mike Black is worth checking out.

For Music, not a lot of recorded octave out there but that is growing
    Robin Bullock comes to mind, Tim O'Brian has recorded considerably on Octave.
    Olga Egorova is probably one of the top players these days.

I have a bunch of you tube vids using Octave

Last edited by tmsweeney; Jan-04-2023 at 5:37pm.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

14. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

The Mowry is the one that was highlighted here by the gentleman who inherited his uncle's collection, which also included a house full of cats. Make sure you ask questions. Nothing worse than opening a box or a case and getting a surprise (cat odors are hard to get rid of). And yes, I checked the serial numbers against the pictures that were posted here.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the shout - I think you'd love the Micawber Haystack model I'm running:
    https://micawbermandolins.com/#!/haystack_section

As far as artists flashing their octave mandolins, I always think of Sierra Hull, Sarah Jaroz, and Molly Tuttle.

You can find videos of these girls killing it on octave on YouTube. It's great for songwriting or with a band.

if you go from mandocello, you loose the low C, gain the high E, everything else is the same.

instrument: must have adjustable truss rod and floating bridge (so you are in full control of the intonation and string action)

players: (other than the usual suspects)

Jim Richter plays Led Zeppelin

Olga Egorova plays a tarantella

David Kincaid sings anything

the tune: anything lively https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4h-lXHlL_A

Sorry double post

I'm very happy with my F4 octave mandolin by Tom TJ Jessen at Cricketfiddle. I've had mine for almost 15 years and have had no problems and great sounds.

I don't think there is anyone else in North America building fully carved A and F style octave mandolins at his price point, which I believe is still at or under $ 3k .

Andrew Mowry and Austin Clark build archtop guitar based OM's that sound better than anything else and are exquisitely finished. They're both here in the PNW too. They'll run a little above $ 6 k and definitely worth it.

I had a guitar body octave by Bayard Blain that I always regret selling. It was a great instrument. He has a flattop octave in your price range. He makes archtops too so he'd be worth contacting to see what he has on the bench right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chgPKR_H8GM&t=36s
    https://www.bayardguitars.com/
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com