Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Took advice of others

Default Took advice of others

And for Christmas I received a Unitune to replace one of my Snark tuners. It is a very responsive tuner (much more so than my others) and appears to be well built. Hopefully it will provide years of service as others have experienced. Will replace the remaining 5, one by one, as needed with the Unitune. NFI
    Early 1954 Gibson F-12
    Lare 1922 Gibson A2 paddlehead
    Late 1963 Gibson A5 Two point
    1950's Stradolin
    ~1918 Weymann Style 30

" Mandolin - good for the mind, good for the body, good for the soul"

Default Re: Took advice of others

Great choice, I’ve switched my daily players to Unitunes also. I still have d’addario micros mounted on a couple of instruments and like them better than the snarks but the unitunes are definitely my favorite so far.

I swapped out all the Snarks for Unitunes and am no longer embarrassing myself by swearing at my tuner...
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

I was in need of tuning the other day and with the mando in hand was looking all around my "office" for a tuner, checked under tune books, shelves, retraced my steps from the dining room, not to be found, I did come across an old Snark ( which I have moved to Fishman), but it still needed a battery, after checking more than one closet and a few "junk" drawers I found the battery, although it was not in the package and might have been old, i grabbed it hoping it would work. After I managed to get the old battery into the Snark, I grabbed the mando and was about to clamp it on the headstock, but I couldn't because there was the new Fishman i was looking for, clamped to the head stock all this time.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tmsweeney For This Useful Post:

I have the Unitune as well but I find the design and strength of the clip a little over the top. I continue to use the D’Addario micro tuner on my mandolins. I leave it attached all the time whereas with the Unitune I take it off after the instrument is tuned. I am a little concerned that the strength of the clip may damage the softer varnish finish on mandolins. I do use the Unitune on my guitars but still tend to take it off when tuned.
    Kirk

2007 Kimble F5
    1985 Kentucky KM 650

I was test driving a mandolin at a local music store and the owner handed me a D'addario micro tuner which I found totally useless. Maybe the battery was bad or tuner was bad, something was bad. I can't imagine D'addario producing a tuner that is relatively useless. Do like my new Unitune though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mead View Post
    I was test driving a mandolin at a local music store and the owner handed me a D'addario micro tuner which I found totally useless. Maybe the battery was bad or tuner was bad, something was bad. I can't imagine D'addario producing a tuner that is relatively useless. Do like my new Unitune though.
    must have been the battery. I used the micro on my Heiden & Ellis...with success... these days i use a unitune..... or occasionally (on my guitar) the soundhole version of micro. the D'Addario still out tune any Snark...
    Last edited by doc holiday; Dec-27-2022 at 10:29pm.

Unitunes are great. Got one each for my guitar and mandolin. Be careful when clipping onto, or removing from, the headstock as they have quite a “bite”. That aside, they’re great tuners.

I leave my unitune clipped on the headstock with no problems. I do open it to clip on and off and don't pinch the actual tuner, I have cracked a couple when not doing this. They still work fine, just avoiding doing it in the future
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mead View Post
    And for Christmas I received a Unitune to replace one of my Snark tuners. It is a very responsive tuner (much more so than my others) and appears to be well built. Hopefully it will provide years of service as others have experienced. Will replace the remaining 5, one by one, as needed with the Unitune. NFI
    After hearing about the Unitune on this forum I decided to try it after breaking another Snark. It is a major upgrade from the Snark. There is no going back

I never leave the tuner on the guitar or mandolin once they're tuned.

Billy

ps, I'm gonna try a Unitune tuner (cuz it sounds like loonytunes)
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

13. The following members say thank you to Billy Packard for this post:

I keep my Unitune in strobe mode where I believe it's the most accurate. It's much easier to read than other strobe tuners for me.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    I keep my Unitune in strobe mode where I believe it's the most accurate. It's much easier to read than other strobe tuners for me.
    Yeah, I find the Peterson almost indecipherable.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

Actually I find the Peterson easier to read than the Unitune in strobe, but then I grew up using a big ol Peterson tuner in band in H.S.

UniTunes are like hen’s teeth in Europe. I just ordered one from Thomann.es, and the wait will be “a couple of months”. I pulled the trigger because the Snark is absolutely no help in trying to get my E strings in tune on my F5.

Do like how accurate the UniTune is, but dislike using them in the sunlight. Have had better luck with the Korg Sledgehammer custom that uses a AAA battery. Or the newer Peterson. Just dislike how slow the Peterson is before being ready to use.

I don't think our school used Peterson tuners. Remember using a Conn strobe instead. Even had one for a few years.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Actually I find the Peterson easier to read than the Unitune in strobe, but then I grew up using a big ol Peterson tuner in band in H.S.
    This.

I prefer the Peterson, used them all my life, they look like a tuner to me. The Unitune looks like a Christmas tree ornament.
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Do like how accurate the UniTune is, but dislike using them in the sunlight. Have had better luck with the Korg Sledgehammer custom that uses a AAA battery. Or the newer Peterson. Just dislike how slow the Peterson is before being ready to use.

I don't think our school used Peterson tuners. Remember using a Conn strobe instead. Even had one for a few years.
    You may be right Eric, we may have had a Conn tuner in H.S. I really don't remember and had forgotten that Conn also made those big tuners. That was a looong time ago.

22. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Hah, when I was in school we used a tuning fork to tune one person then everyone tuned to that person. Not very exact but neither was our playing.

24. The following members say thank you to Steve Mead for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    You may be right Eric, we may have had a Conn tuner in H.S. I really don't remember and had forgotten that Conn also made those big tuners. That was a looong time ago.
    It was probably Peterson. They invented it and then Conn took over. At least our school district used Conn. Others seemed to use Peterson.

Our band/orchestra room did have a tuning fork on a wooden base. That was our normal quick tune up tone. (Amazing I can even remember that after 40 years).
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    It was probably Peterson. They invented it and then Conn took over. At least our school district used Conn. Others seemed to use Peterson.

Our band/orchestra room did have a tuning fork on a wooden base. That was our normal quick tune up tone. (Amazing I can even remember that after 40 years).
    My reunion is next year- dare I say 55 years. How can that much time have passed so quickly?

27. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    I never leave the tuner on the guitar or mandolin once they're tuned.
    I salute you and operate the same. Having a fine instrument, many, such as an F5, with an artistically ornate headstock…with a hunk of plastic clamped onto it looks like crap, at least from the audience when watching a professional musical act in performance.
    too many strings

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny60 View Post
    Unitunes are great. Got one each for my guitar and mandolin. Be careful when clipping onto, or removing from, the headstock as they have quite a “bite”. That aside, they’re great tuners.
    I noticed that when I clip mine to the F2 it was overlapping the headstock inlay. I decided to be more careful and move it a little to the side. Why take chances?

(PS. All my mandolins share the same tuner )
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
    This.

I prefer the Peterson, used them all my life, they look like a tuner to me. The Unitune looks like a Christmas tree ornament.
    I hung my Unitune on our Christmas tree this year. It told me the needles were a bit sharp

31. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DaveGinNJ For This Useful Post:

The Peterson Strobe tuner is the best, most accurate tuner I've used. Battery life is good, has auto shut-off. Here it is on Amazon and the price is great - I think I paid around $90.

http://https://www.amazon.com/Peterson-StroboClip-Ukulele-Woodwind-Orchestral/dp/B06ZZX99G8/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1MHOVJTQSGOVH&keywords=peterson+tu ner&qid=1674055344&sprefix=peterson+tuner%2Caps%2C 217&sr=8-1