Thread: Highland F Style Mandolin

Default Highland F Style Mandolin

Hi all,
    I just picked this F Style mandolin with a scroll design stating “Highland” on the headstock, but I cannot find any info about this maker. I’ve tried looking in the sound holes and cannot find any other markings indicating a model # or an origin. Is anyone familiar with this maker? I’m just looking for info to satisfy my curiosity.

This mandolin needs some work still (new strings, cleaning, and setup) and does have a crack on the face. If anyone has any tips on how to repair that I would appreciate it. Using a mirror, I see the crack goes straight through but stops where a brace is. I was thinking some Hyde glue and a clamp might be enough, but am not sure.

This is my first time posting, so hopefully I attached the photos correctly. Thanks in advance.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4122F3C4-B60F-4DC2-A3CE-0B367A65748B.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	751.0 KB 
ID:	204922
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	676C71EE-A4D4-4EE3-9940-13D0675699EE.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	699.4 KB 
ID:	204923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	884380D8-6017-4EC0-9AC2-13C4E1643300.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	479.8 KB 
ID:	204924   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8F70E531-10B5-4395-B4EE-D46FAD55A990.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	684.2 KB 
ID:	204925  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26E91E50-D542-402D-B547-8759CD53B935.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	644.4 KB 
ID:	204928   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8E6492EA-F496-49C5-BD85-5D250B8F048B.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	804.3 KB 
ID:	204929  
    Last edited by jared.petry1; Dec-21-2022 at 10:38am.

Default Re: Highland F Style Mandolin

Looks “gold-tone-ish” on my phone (computer down) and does it feel/look like glue has already been applied to the crack? The pic suggests to me that it has.

The break looks clean. I don’t see any glue or residue in it. I’ll post a close up picture of the crack.

Just saw the added pics. I’d start by trying to hydrate the instrument/room room and see if that crack will close up. It looks too open of a crack for hide glue (or many other types) to be permanent.

These were imported into the US under dozens of brand names. The same brand name and logo has shown up a few times here over the years on various instruments. I would assume that your instrument was most likely built in Korea or China. Whoever is using this brand name doesn't appear to be importing large quantities of anything. Most likely a distributor or retailer someplace.

https://www.google.com/search?client...ndolincafe.com
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    These were imported into the US under dozens of brand names. The same brand name and logo has shown up a few times here over the years on various instruments. I would assume that your instrument was most likely built in Korea or China. Whoever is using this brand name doesn't appear to be importing large quantities of anything. Most likely a distributor or retailer someplace.

https://www.google.com/search?client...ndolincafe.com
    Thanks for the info! I had seen that post about the bowl-backed mandolin and didn’t notice the font on the headstock was the exact same. Regardless, I like it. Once I get some new strings and do some tweeks to it, I think it will be a great player.

Same headstock inlay as a Countryman, also likely one of those multiply-branded Asians, not that it means terrible. That crack seems related to the brace, so is structural; not a candidate for just filling. Go to light strings and it may survive better.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard500 View Post
    Same headstock inlay as a Countryman, also likely one of those multiply-branded Asians, not that it means terrible. That crack seems related to the brace, so is structural; not a candidate for just filling. Go to light strings and it may survive better.
    Ok. Thanks for the tip. 😊 Do you believe the break is related to the brace because the brace stops right where the crack is? Any suggestions on potential repairs I could try? Or should I just leave it and enjoy it with light strings?

For cracks that are wide enough that they won't close like this, I like to make a plane shaving of spruce that will fit snugly into the crack when dry. I insert the shaving into the crack and then apply hot hide glue. The glue will wick into the crack and glue the shaving in place. When dry I trim the shaving. If you hydrate to glue the crack when it dries out again it will crack again. This way that will not happen.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!