Thread: Gm chord

Default Gm chord

I just happened upon this version of G minor, never encountered it before (although the more I am exposed to mandolin music I find there is a lot I have not encountered before)

E 3 (G)
    A 5 (D)
    D 8 (Bb)
    G 0 (G) or x (omit)

A G minor triad with the 5th in the root in natural ascending order.

works well with the C minor

E x (omit) ( you can do the 8th high C)
    A 6 Eb
    D 5 G
    G 5 C

and then the D7 (omit the root)

E 2 F#
    A 3 C
    D 4 F#
    G 2 A

a very pretty chord indeed
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gm chord

Yes, very pretty, indeed. Also, pretty g-d difficult to play, for me. You must have bigger hands than mine. Because for me to play it, I have to scrunch down my index finger to get the G on the E string, and then stretch for that Bb on the D string. I imagine working it into a song at a lively tempo would take some doing, some serious practicing to be able to fret that easily and quickly. The Gm chord I use in that area of the fretboard is 3556 (Bb-G-D-Bb). It also works well with that Cm, which I use all the time (with the C on the E string.) I use a D7 very similar to yours, 2435 (A on the E string), which omits the root as well.

Generally, stretched-out chords like this are one of my bugaboos. I'm much more inclined to use chords which are like fistfuls of strings. Some of my go-tos in that area tend to include an open string or two, for ease. Even the G chop chord 7523 gives me pause, which has the same five-fret stretch. In this small cluster of chords are 6402 F#m ( and the easier 6400 F#m7) and 5300 Am - which would be a toughie to barre up for me. But be that as it may, that's a nice-sounding chord you've got there. Tough for me, but probably not for others.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

All that mandola, octave and cello work has stretched me good, I will admit fatigue is setting in more and more, on those stretches.
    3rd in the bottom is "wierd" sometimes.
    I found this while learning Grisman's "Tzigiani" which is Romanian for Gypsy I think (in Dracula the "Tzigiani" was the name of the Gypsy tribe that Harker discovered filling the boxes in the castle for the Boyars gold) He did as a medley with Grapelli, O'Connor, Marshall and Wasserman and "Typsy Gypsy" as Fistorza and a tune called Fulginiti -Tzigiani / Fisztorza / Fulginiti.
    David and Stephan do it in Gm, The Tony Rice unit (Tony, Wyatt, Fred Carpenter, John Reichman, Todd Phillips) in Em ( for that open guitar chord).from the "Still Inside" Album, it sadly did not make it on to any of the compilation CDs, I was lucky enough to find it on Take's Bluegrass YouTube Channel.
    I originally learned the Tony Rice version in Em but then moved back to Gm as the cords are much easier on mandola in Gm.
    So I may use that chord shape in that tune.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

a moveable minor chop shape:

e 3 (G)
    A 5 (D)
    D 8 (Bb)
    G 7 (D)

Some shapes should be practiced with several different fingerings, which you might use depending on the preceding and/or following chords, to minimize moving your fingers around a lot. Some of the options for the barre C

A 7 E
    D 5 G
    G 5 C

1-1-3 (i-i-r) or 1-1-2 (i-i-m);
    2-2-3 (m-m-r,)
    2-2-4(m-m-p),
    3-3-4 (r-r-p).

If you intend to do much with walking the chords or chord melody you'll want to make your movements as efficient as possible, and that means use of interchangeable/multiple fingerings, depending on context.

Niles H

Quote Originally Posted by mandocrucian View Post
    a moveable minor chop shape:

e 3 (G)
    A 5 (D)
    D 8 (Bb)
    G 7 (D)

Some shapes should be practiced with several different fingerings, which you might use depending on the preceding and/or following chords, to minimize moving your fingers around a lot. Some of the options for the barre C

A 7 E
    D 5 G
    G 5 C

1-1-3 (i-i-r) or 1-1-2 (i-i-m);
    2-2-3 (m-m-r,)
    2-2-4(m-m-p),
    3-3-4 (r-r-p).

If you intend to do much with walking the chords or chord melody you'll want to make your movements as efficient as possible, and that means use of interchangeable/multiple fingerings, depending on context.

Niles H
    Thanks I never thought about the D on the 7th,
    I use the 553 on the dola more than the mando, but there are always new worlds to gain.

Reischmann was doing these very cool minor 7 suspended 2253 chords in the Tony Rice tune "Devlin"
    there was also a 9667 EMaj7 then up to a B7sus (?) 9797

what really have trouble is with the partial bar chords Dm7 5355 (bar the and e) Kind of like the Stormy Monday chords on guitar.
    took me a while to get those on guitar as well so we shall see.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

Blog Entries

I use these closed voice triads and forms often. They concentrate the sound and power into a small pitch range. All popular singing harmony is close voiced, whether high lonesome or the Beatles.

The familiar four-note G chop does not need the high note, the lower three notes, D.G.B (7-5-2-x) are where the power is.

I use these forms (from G course upward in pitch):

D -- 7-4-0-x
    C -- 9- 5-3-x
    G -- x-9-5-3
    C minor -- 8-5-3-x
    A -- x-7-4-0
    E -- x-6-2-0

Also, a bass note underneath is cool, like adding the open G under the close triad as in 0-9-5-x.

The comfortable open voicings like 0-0-2-3 spread across a lot of pitch range, and make a less focussed effect than closed triads. Guitar voicings are mainly close triads, easy from the closer intervals between strings.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

7. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

thanks Tom, I do use some of those, probably not as much as I should.

I try to not play the same exact chord shape (where it works) as the other mandolins when in that scenario.

I tend to use the 3 note chords on mandola a lot but some of those stretches can be challenging.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel