Thread: Parrot Party

Default Parrot Party

Today I'm hosting a birthday party at Dawg studios to celebrate and document the "birth" of a very special mandolin, the "Parrot," whose label was signed by Mr. Lloyd Loar, 100 years ago! Also in attendance will be its good friend, "Crusher," whose big day is coming up next month. Stay tuned!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dawg plays Parrot.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	204528   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dawg & Parrot back.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	204529  

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Dawg For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Parrot Party

Bravo!

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

What a beauty! Front and back. It would be a thrill to be a fly on the wall at this party! Wish it were broadcast. Think I'll wear one of my parrot shirts.

And this on the heels of Jimi Hendrix' 80th birthday yesterday. Some very cool vibes along with these dates.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

This Cracker wants that Polly! Play on, Dawg!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Soper For This Useful Post:

Dear David, enjoy picking and celebrating; have fun.

I saw that mando at an early (first?) Loar-fest. An interesting piece!

Thanks Dawg! You've made my life (and a lot of people I know) a lot better! Love you!
    1924 Gibson A-O Snakehead
    2005 Glenn F5 Fern

I was under the impression that the parrot had been removed. I'm so happy to see it still there! I know the decals on the front went away. That's one of the things I've always wanted to do was have someone paint a parrot on my mandolin
    Way cool.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

I read Stan Jay´s description when he had it for sale at Mandolinbrothers. If I remember right it had another parrot on the top that was later removed.

I fullheartedly congratulate the "Parrot Loar" for it´s 100th birthday. May it bless the player and listener with many more years of music.

I was stunned and totally taken in when I bought the Tone Poems I CD when it frist came out. I would gladly buy the CD of a similar project with all kinds of different Lloyd Loar F-5´s and different Martins (D-18s, D-28s) and Gibsons (Southerner Jumbos, Advanced Jumbos).

And, David, enjoy celebrating any of these birthdays in good health for many years to come.
    Olaf

I recognize the Neumann 84 but I don't recognize the other mic on the mandolin. Anyone know what it is?
    My Youtube Channel: http://bit.ly/1F9sJ8G

That mic is very special to me John. It's a vintage Neumann KM-86, directly from 1750 Arch Studios, and the mic that Tony Rice preferred. It was kindly offered to me by Bob Shumaker, one of the engineers there, a year ago when he heard about the theft of six of my mics in Portland, OR. I also was able to obtain (from Bob as well) two of the original KM-84s that were used on our Arch Street recordings. It's a great mic for recording just about anything acoustic. Serendipity survives!

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dawg For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the update on your mic situation. It still stinks that you suffered that loss, but the way they are being replaced is heartwarming - with a story to boot. I've suffered a loss this way myself (pales in comparison, though that late 70s F-12 was my steadfast companion for nearly thirty years), so I understand some of what you must have felt. Now I've got a teens A model (or two), actually a much better instrument for my music, so yes, serendipity helps things along, indeed.

Hope your Parrot Party was a success. I did wear one of my parrot shirts for a while, just a little fun. From a few years ago:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170930-1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	204565
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

No button from the back over the neck heel...izzat the only Loar signed F5 like that? Let the Loar centenary celebration commence! My recognition of this historic period (2022-2024) is partially what prompted me to make my own acquisition earlier this year...I will be celebrating through March 24, 2024, when mine turns 100! Woo hoo!
    too many strings