Thread: Gibson F-5 neck on Ebay

Default Gibson F-5 neck on Ebay

Was this a model offered in the 60's or 70's by Gibson? It is a mortise & tenon neck joint so?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144814947876
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gibson neck on Ebay.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	204335  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Gibson F-5 neck on Ebay

My initial reaction was to say that if it is a Gibson neck, it's a prototype, but . . .

I did a little digging. Checked Gruhn's Guide, and they noted that F-12's made from 1970 to 1980 had a fingerboard extension and fleur de lis inlay.

The peghead inlay bothered me. It's not my usual idea of a fleur de lis. So did the high position of the truss rod pocket, the small inlays in the upper positions, and the location of the scallops on the fingerboard extension.

Then I found this: http://www.julienslive.com/lot-detai...g/71/lot/27835
    We have a match.

Ya never know how those Norlin instruments are going to look compared with what we normally expect to see in a Gibson instrument.

Or as Mel Allen used to say, "how 'bout that!"
    Last edited by rcc56; Nov-20-2022 at 7:31pm.

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    My initial reaction was to say that if it is a Gibson neck, it's a prototype, but . . .

I did a little digging. Checked Gruhn's Guide, and they noted that F-12's made from 1970 to 1980 had a fingerboard extension and fleur de lis inlay.

The peghead inlay bothered me. It's not my usual idea of a fleur de lis. So did the high position of the truss rod pocket, the small inlays in the upper positions, and the location of the scallops on the fingerboard extension.

Then I found this: http://www.julienslive.com/lot-detai...g/71/lot/27835
    We have a match.

Ya never know how those Norlin instruments are going to look compared with what we normally expect to see in a Gibson instrument.

Or as Mel Allen used to say, "how 'bout that!"
    Nice detective work!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Teacher, repair person

For the benefit of future viewers in case the julienslive link expires, the match for Jim's example is a Gibson F-12, serial number 964724, made sometime during the 1970's.

Both necks have the unusual interpretation of the fleur de lis, high truss rod pocket, bound fingerboard with extension and tiny position dots for frets 17, 19, and 22, and tiny double dots for fret 24.

For posterity, the Mid 70's Gibson F12 and the OP full neck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mid70sF12.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	204349   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OPeBayNeck.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	376.8 KB 
ID:	204350  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Curious piece. It appears to have been mounted to a body and removed, yet there is no finish on back of neck -- at least as far as I can tell -- needs more photos of the back and back of peghead. Were tuners ever installed? As far as price, it really wouldn't be worth much to me, but maybe a builder can salvage it.

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    it really wouldn't be worth much to me.
    In my best Jethro Bodine (Beverly Hillbillies) imitation: But Jeff, only $50 for the business end of a Gibson F mandolin! Now, all I gotta do is wait around for the other end to show up!

8. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

I asked for a picture of the back, and BINGO, it's on the auction.

Also, Serial Number 968856 which shows a recurrent serial as a result of the 70's random method. So, probably 70's not 80's.

His other auctions are for Gibson guitar necks and Banjo necks. He has a neck fetish.

10. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

Looks like it must have come off a mandolin with a busted body and they robbed the neck, the tuners and the truss rod cover. Pre-Siminoff era. F-12 mandolins from that era don't bring tremendous money (or interest) but, all in the same it says "Gibson" on the peghead...

Quote Originally Posted by your_diamond View Post
    I asked for a picture of the back, and BINGO, it's on the auction.

Also, Serial Number 968856 which shows a recurrent serial as a result of the 70's random method. So, probably 70's not 80's.

His other auctions are for Gibson guitar necks and Banjo necks. He has a neck fetish.
    Courtesy Terry Southern, ca 1966, neckrophilia. The guy had talent for brilliant tastelessness.

13. The following members say thank you to Richard500 for this post:

Three piece headstock …

already $100 bucks and 5 days to go....

NFI
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Nov-22-2022 at 8:54pm.

Sold for $283.00 [ 24 bids ] plus Shipping of $9.75 (YMMV).

His auction of 4 Gibson guitar necks (1980ish) Les Paul, ES-175, Acoustic J-45 and Byrdland - BUNDLE sold for $2,047.00 with 39 bids (+$15.80 shipping, YMMV).

I noticed that and wondered if that was a good price or not. Certainly several times my interest in the neck, mostly because of the time period. I also wondered what the buyer may have in mind for it. I guess if someone had a good Gibson body with a broken neck it may serve a function. Otherwise, I don't think anyone would go to all the trouble of building a body to stick this neck on -- they would probably build their own neck. Unless they wanted it to say Gibson? Otherwise, you could mate it to a Rogue F body and have $500 bucks in a fake Gibson that wouldn't be worth the $500 spent, IMHO. Or, ....you could mount it on the wall of your music room for a conversation piece. (I know a guitarist who mounted a Fender strat neck on his fireplace mantel as a focal point, so.......who knows?)