Thread: Tell me about Ibanez mandolins

Default Tell me about Ibanez mandolins

I am a recovering banjo player that has recently (2 years ago) decided to get back into bluegrass type music after a 20+ year time out. I bought an Ibanez model 510, F style, laminated, “basic” mandolin. No, I am NOT a mandolinist. I just really like playing on it and I find it much easier to learn a song on the mandolin and then transpose it to the guitar. I don’t know why and quite honestly, I don’t care why. I’m just enjoying the new found fortune. I am “IMPRESSED” with it. When I bought it, I only considered the cost, not the instrument. I figured that at this stage of my mandolin development I didn’t really need a top quality, all solid, not signed off by anyone famous mandolin, but just a few months with it and I am ready to upgrade and I am seriously considering the Ibanez M700 as my upgrade. O.K., full disclosure, I probably do not yet need a “better quality” mandolin, but that’s just the way the acquisition syndrome works, and the M-520 has truly surprised me. It is loud, clear and easy to play after an exhaustive set up. So why not the Ibanez M-700? Your opinion would be appreciated.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ibanez M-522
    Gold Tone GM 10 Frypan

Default Re: Tell me about Ibanez mandolins

I'd enjoy what you have and save up for a much better mandolin. It will lift you up to another level when you play it and it fills you with a new joy from how it reacts to your playing. Your playing improves because the better instrument will not just function better but it will feed your soul as the love put into a better instrument by its builder comes up as reward with a much better voice for you through that instrument.

Eastman makes a dang fine mandolin that will suit you for a long time. Jus' sayin'
    "It doesn't matter how much you invest in your instrument until you invest in you and your ability..."

Kentucky KM-150
    Eastman MD-404
    Eastman MD-305
    Morgan Monroe MFM-300 (passed on to a new player)
    Rover RM-75

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B381 View Post
    Eastman makes a dang fine mandolin that will suit you for a long time. Jus' sayin'
    Yes, but the closest Eastman F body will run about $875 (MD-315).

Maybe a Loar? I don’t know their models & prices off the top of my head like I do Eastman.

I don't know Ibanez mandos, but I am interested that you like your current one. Laminate-topped mandos don't get much love around here. I suppose I'm part of that: I gave my weirdly-branded Asian mandolin (think bottom-rung Rogue) that I got as a travel instrument away to my son. He's primarily a guitarist and fiddler. But, here's the point: even with the sonic limitations of a pressed laminate top, he makes that thing sound great, and you would be far happier spending time listening to him play that than me on my 15 year old Collings MT. The Eastman advice is great to get you into the mainstream, but I don't think you should feel pressure to get a carved-top mandolin if you are happy with what you have now.

Quote Originally Posted by JiminRussia View Post
    I am a recovering banjo player that has recently (2 years ago) decided to get back into bluegrass type music after a 20+ year time out. I bought an Ibanez model 510, F style, laminated, “basic” mandolin. No, I am NOT a mandolinist. I just really like playing on it and I find it much easier to learn a song on the mandolin and then transpose it to the guitar. I don’t know why and quite honestly, I don’t care why. I’m just enjoying the new found fortune. I am “IMPRESSED” with it. When I bought it, I only considered the cost, not the instrument. I figured that at this stage of my mandolin development I didn’t really need a top quality, all solid, not signed off by anyone famous mandolin, but just a few months with it and I am ready to upgrade and I am seriously considering the Ibanez M700 as my upgrade. O.K., full disclosure, I probably do not yet need a “better quality” mandolin, but that’s just the way the acquisition syndrome works, and the M-520 has truly surprised me. It is loud, clear and easy to play after an exhaustive set up. So why not the Ibanez M-700? Your opinion would be appreciated.
    My first mandolin was an Ibanez 510. I was happy with it at the time but once I got something a little nicer I realized it wasn't a particularly good instrument. I know nothing about the m700 but maybe there are better options at that price

The Loar LM-520, $599 from many forum sponsor shops & a few big box shops that aren't:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loar-LM520-2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	204174
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Although I prefer the looks of the LM-590, same price.

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Here's the thing that trips up some new mandolin players - they just cost more. There are probably 1000 or more guitar players for every mandolin player. The majority of guitars bought are flat top/flat back. A lot of mandolins (the better ones at least) are carved top and back. They take longer, require thicker plates to start out with and thus cost more to build.

We can go out and buy a very nice guitar for around $500 (you can certainly spend much more too). A mandolin of equivalent quality of that $500 guitar will cost about $1500 or more.

I'll never again buy a beginner or student grade instrument - they really sound bad compared to a good one.

Wait for a bigger step, especially to a better, used instrument. An A style will provide the most bang for your buck.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Wait for a bigger step, especially to a better, used instrument. An A style will provide the most bang for your buck.
    A good bit of wisdom I got from the Café here - Skip your second mandolin and go straight to your third mandolin.

I am trying very hard to NOT buy my second mandolin as I save for my lifetime instrument.

Buy once, cry once is a saying we have about fishing gear. It’s almost applicable here except (just like fishing) I can’t live with just one instrument
    I’d step ahead of another Ibanez. Lots of better options and it’s worth stepping up to the 1000-3000 range.