Thread: Abbreviated pick guard doesn’t need a brace?

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Default Abbreviated pick guard doesn’t need a brace?

I’ve been looking at some f body mandolins, and the ones I’ve been looking at don’t come with pick guards. I happen to like the looks of a mandolin with a pick guard (I’m strange in other ways, too). So I’ve been looking at abbreviated f style pick guards. So far I’ve decided I like the looks of the Hill Country Stringworks unbound ebony abbreviated pick guard.

According to their web site their abbreviated pick guard doesn’t require a brace, just the two posts that attach the pick guard to the neck.

Does that sound right to you guys?

Eastman offers a few of their f body mandolins with abbreviated pick guards, but so far as I know they have some sort of brace that’s concealed under the pick guard and is between the pick guard and the soundboard.

I’d love to get the thoughts from a few of you.

Has anyone ever installed a Hill Country Stringworks abbreviated pick guard?
    Eastman MD-514 (F body, Sitka & maple, oval hole)
    Klos Carbon Fiber (on order)

And still saving my nickels & dimes & bottle caps & breakfast cereal box tops for my lifetime mandolin.

Default Re: Abbreviated pick guard doesn’t need a brace?

I’m no luthier but it sounds fine to me. I have two Kimbles (A and F), both have abbreviated pickguards and neither have a brace. They are fitted to the edge of the neck by a pin and a screw. I wanted to add one to my Clark GOM and Austin advised that a screw wasn’t necessary - simply a frction fit would be OK. My local luthier took the advice and, some years later, it’s still fine.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

While I can't speak specifically to Doug Edwards' pickguards:
    - He's a long-time poster here, with a sterling reputation for service - to which I can personally attest.
    - I have sampled various instruments with abbreviated pickguards, and they've all seemed impressively substantial. I would not avoid. In other words, don't confuse "abbreviated" with (relatively) flimsy items that REQUIRE additional support. No question in my head that Doug's would not be excellent.

Not sure weather to feel bad for Doug or good for us: He sporadically talks about retiring, but keeps on supplying us with his goodies!
    Last edited by EdHanrahan; Nov-08-2022 at 12:33pm.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

(there have been several threads about this already) I've made and installed my own for all three of my mandolins and they're very similar in size and style to the stringworks ones. They function as a fingerrest, helping to register your pick altitude without looking. I set mine about 1/8" below the top of the fretboard and angled down 15º to keep them out of the way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MandoFamFront.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	381.1 KB 
ID:	204134  

5. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

lenf12