Thread: Gibson A-50?

Default Gibson A-50?

This popped up locally for sale. Seller claims it is from the 50’s. I am assuming it is a Gibson A-50. Anybody have an idea what it might be worth? Is there anything exciting about the sound of this era of Gibson? I really don’t need another mandolin, but nothing exciting ever comes up for sale in my area.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/A7BKrKSYKusXZQbq5

Default Re: Gibson A-50?

I had one once, worst mandolin I ever owned, the retailer refunded me and apologised.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

3. The following members say thank you to Dave Hanson for this post:

The mandolin has lost its original tuners which would help date it but 1950s is very likely and it is an A-50. Those Japanese tuners seem to be on upside down for reasons best known to whoever put them on. My assumption would be it had Kluson tuners that had button rot and these tuners were used but to fit with the existing holes they went in back to front- so the mandolin may tune backwards although it may be regular! If you can get to play it and find out about its tone/volume and playable nature or not, that would be best but it depends on the price. As already suggested the sound from these mandolins can be variable from bad to good, so checking it out would be a good idea unless it is going really cheaply. There was one on eBay that sold for $600 with an original hard case. https://www.ebay.com/itm/31420383586...p2047675.l2557

5. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Teacher, repair person

We don't see many A-50's in my corner of the world. I've only played a few, and most of those were unimpressive.

However, I do remember playing one about 35 years ago that was a pretty good mandolin. From what I remember, it was an older block logo model, perhaps from sometime between the late 1940's and the mid '50's.

For years, the standard asking prices for them were +/- $1200, depending on condition. People are trying to get a bit more these days, but I don't know if they are having any success. In that condition, I wouldn't go much more than $1000, and I would only consider it if it sounds quite good. I wouldn't buy it without playing it first.

If it's local and you don't mind helping out the seller and gambling a set of strings, it couldn't hurt to take a look.

7. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

When I was first starting out on mandolin I bought a '60's Gibson A-50 on eBay for $500 - I blame the influence of "brand recognition" as I was a long time guitar player who'd had some nice Gibson acoustic and electric guitars in the past. The A-50 was pretty uninspiring and I think it only stuck around for about 3 weeks before I sold it and bought a nice Flatiron 2M pancake mandolin for about the same price that was a million times nicer to play.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

9. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

Thanks for the responses. I reached out to the seller but it had already been sold. MAS cured again by outside forces.

11. The following members say thank you to Trader Todd for this post:

Blog Entries

Yeah, they were rather heavy in those days, the best are the 33-35ish A-50's with the elevated board! "IMHO-For awhile I thought 35 was the only year for the F-hole elevated board A-50's but I scored on a few 33's based on the FON#" I've had maybe 10 of them over the years and all were good some better than others, the best was a 33, as it may have been a prototype as it had awesome carving and was better voiced than many later 30's-40's F-5's. I should've kept it

13. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post: