Thread: GIBSON F2 selling advice- Greece

Default GIBSON F2 selling advice- Greece

Hello Mandolin cafe forum, my name is Yannis and I would like to sell my Gibson F2 Mandolin. I wish this mandolin to go back home (USA) and I need advice, is this possible? and how to do this?

Default Re: GIBSON F2 selling advice- Greece

PS. A few decades ago (1995) the Mandolin Bros evaluated that instrument by images and offered $1700 to $1800 and a easy way to go (even packing advice). This year an international instrument shop based at USA said that this is a mission impossible

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221020_223541_0.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	365.2 KB 
ID:	203838Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4379_0.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	301.9 KB 
ID:	203839

What reason did the shop give for saying this was impossible?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

5. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Y_K 

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    What reason did the shop give for saying this was impossible?
    Because of the current shipping costs and taxes between Europe and USA, and restrictions for instruments with pearl inlays

According to this, mother of pearl is not listed under CITES and may be freely traded on musical instruments.
    https://artisanguitars.com/products/...of-pearl-shell

Certain types of abalone could be a problem:
    https://acousticmusic.org/research/e...cites-and-esa/

Ebony doesn't appear to be a concern either, unless it is Madagascar ebony:
    https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/sh...ctions.439590/

You can ship from Europe to the US for a couple hundred US dollars, and the US import duty is only 3% (quite low compared to Canada & European countries).

I'm sure someone who knows more than I do will jump in here, but I think you got some bad information.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

8. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Y_K 

Adrian Minarovic

Madagascar abony is so rare and wood hardly distinguishable from gabon ebony (I think some botanists consider it just a variant of gabon) so that would not be a problem.
    I've seen some old Gibsons with wood that looked much lke Brazilian RW or African blackwood (species of rosewood) which may be problem.
    Pearl in few dots is not going to raise any attention especially in vintage instrument.
    Shipping to US will cost several 100's of EUR and you risk damage so selling locally or within EU might be best option for you. There's so many of them in the US and folks in Ireland or UK or some scandinavian countries often use old Gibsons for their music so there's good market there and prices can be even higher than in the US especially for vintage Gibsons.
    Adrian

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HoGo For This Useful Post:

Gibson instruments have been sold in Europe- certainly, the UK since not long after the firm became established while shipping costs to the USA from Europe can be high. As already suggested, you might want to sell your F2 in Europe as it is probably worth more in Europe than in the USA itself simply down to supply and demand. If I buy from the USA on top of the shipping cost, the whole cost including that shipping attracts a 20% tax and a relatively small amount- 3% for duty and a handling charge. This means that a bargain in the USA is not much of one when it arrives here!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickR For This Useful Post:

Okay, I had an F4 shipped internationally last year. Took three months to get the CITES paperwork.

All about the pearl - nothing wrong with pearl. The CITES stuff was to PROVE IT WASN'T WHITE ABALONE.

Most people think CITES is about certifying what something is, but often it's about certifying what it's not.

To the OP - getting it to the USA can be done, but costly and time consuming. Do you think you wouldn't get as much for it locally, in Europe?

If someone in the USA could get one locally for $3000, they wouldn't pay $2000 for yours because of the extra cost of CITES, shipping and tax.

I'm certain there are people in Europe who are desperate to own one of these who can't afford the shipping, CITES and tax to get it from the USA

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bazz Jass For This Useful Post:

wannabe mandolin wizzard bluesmandolinman's Avatar

I am in Europe and interested in your F2

would need to see some pics and what your asking price is
    Carl Martin - Everyday I have the Blues

My gear : 1927 A0/Ajr , JM-11 , Fender 346 white XH

16. The following members say thank you to bluesmandolinman for this post:

Y_K 

If this were an F-5 from '23 or thereabout, we'd send C.J. Lewandowski over for it
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jim simpson For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

From the posting guidelines: Refrain from using the forum as a market place, ie., a resource for selling, purchasing or trading. Please limit selling, buying and trading activities to the Classifieds section of this web site or other external locations.

20. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Y_K