Thread: Martin 5-15T vs 0-18T

Default Martin 5-15T vs 0-18T

60's 15, 70's 18. The 18 looks so much bigger but the prices are roughly the same. What would you prefer and why? Thanks!

Default Re: Martin 5-15T vs 0-18T

If I was going to use it for CGDA tuning, I would be more drawn to the 5-15T. If I was relying on a decent bass tone with a lower (eg GDAE) tuning, I would favor the 0 size. On the other hand, 70s Martins are generally dissed as being inferior to older vintages - whether that's based in fact or attitude is not something I can opine on. If the 60's 5-15 is pre-'68 (or is it '67)? you should have Brazilian rosewood on the fretboard and bridge (assuming they're original), if that matters to you. Since you haven't mentioned condition, I assume neither have any serious concerns that you can identify, e.g. cracks, bowed neck, etc. If one needs major surgery and the other doesn't, there goes the price equity.

Quote Originally Posted by Seonachan View Post
    If I was going to use it for CGDA tuning, I would be more drawn to the 5-15T. If I was relying on a decent bass tone with a lower (eg GDAE) tuning, I would favor the 0 size. On the other hand, 70s Martins are generally dissed as being inferior to older vintages - whether that's based in fact or attitude is not something I can opine on. If the 60's 5-15 is pre-'68 (or is it '67)? you should have Brazilian rosewood on the fretboard and bridge (assuming they're original), if that matters to you. Since you haven't mentioned condition, I assume neither have any serious concerns that you can identify, e.g. cracks, bowed neck, etc. If one needs major surgery and the other doesn't, there goes the price equity.

I'd be looking for GDAE or maybe even going wild with octave Bass (EADG), so it sounds like the bigger body wins. I didn't realize that about 70's Martins. Wonder if it applies to the Tenors as well. Condition is almost identical between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by subby13 View Post
    I'd be looking for GDAE or maybe even going wild with octave Bass (EADG), so it sounds like the bigger body wins. I didn't realize that about 70's Martins. Wonder if it applies to the Tenors as well. Condition is almost identical between the two.
    in the '70's Martin made changes to how the guitars were built - the thinking is that they started to "overbuild" them to stave off future warranty work, and there were also changes made to the bridge plates and bracing I think? There was also a well known issue with bridge placement on the guitars of that era being "off" due to worn templates, resulting in intonation issues if I recall correctly. Don't know if the tenor guitars were affected by that though.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

These don't match the dates, but here are clips of a 58 5-15T and a 66 0-18T, both in GDAE tuning, from Jake Wildwood's website.

Teacher, repair person

Actually, Martin started to gradually beef up the construction on D models by the mid 1960's. Rosewood bridgeplates came in 1968, then were considerably enlarged the next year. The smaller Martins were not necessarily beefed up to the degree that the D's were.

The smaller body and the mahogany top on the 5-15 is going to produce a different tone than that of an 0-18 with larger body and spruce top.
    Style 15 was considered to be a lower budget model than style 18 when these instruments were built. If you can't play the instruments before purchase, it's anyone's guess, but I would be inclined to lean toward the larger instrument, especially if you're going to tune low.

7. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

I have one of those 70s 018Ts and I think the "dread" is a bum rap. Plays and intones as it should.

Larry

I really like the 5-17T or 5-15T for either tuning. I find the smaller body more comfortable and they did a great job of making a small guitar sound bigger.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!