Thread: What Does This Mean?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default What Does This Mean?

This is not exclusively a Forum issue - I see this all over - but I don't know anyone more well-versed in the inner workings of the internet, so I hope someone can explain this. Also, others may be wondering the same thing, and will benefit from your insights.

Every time I log in here - and elsewhere - I see this pop-up warning:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Change Your Password.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	203749

Is this really a cause for concern? Or is it just something that pops up automatically when a website recognizes a password that has been used before, or perhaps a certain times before? Or something else altogether?

Thanks for your time and expertise.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Default Re: What Does This Mean?

It means a site where that password was used had a breach and the credentials have been uploaded to the dark web with availability to miscreants. It may not have originated at this site. If you reuse credentials across sites, all of those sites are exposed to mischief. This is really a problem of risk management, if you use the same credentials on sites containing valuable data (banks, medical, etc) and also on sites with little valued information, you're risking a large loss of either money or confidentiality. With browsers that have password vaults, changing passwords to different ones for each site and storing them seamlessly has diminished the problem of remembering credentials across multiple sites.

Apple has been doing this for a while as well, although not quite so obviously (you have to look in your settings to find the info).
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

This nuisance went away, but suddenly today it came back - with a vengeance. It pops up every time I switch threads, every time I post, and twice when I log in. It doesn't make any sense to me why it should happen so often. I wonder whether I should go ahead and change my password, and if I do, will that actually solve the matter? I'm reluctant to do so, as this is the oldest password in my collection - so old, it's only six characters in the same case. I've been hanging onto it for sentimental reasons, but this new situation is really annoying. Is there some way I can defeat the pop-up, or should I give in to these persistent demands?

I do not see this at other sites where I log in, such as my email (different password). BTW, I use this password only here, so if Bill's assessment is correct, perhaps the Café has a problem.

I'm going to reboot the device, see if that helps. I doubt it, but then, none of this is making much sense.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Yep. No change.

This is so annoying, I'm about ready to go ahead and change my password, however reluctant I am to do so. I remain unconvinced that this will actually fix the problem, I'm that skeptical. I'm also just paranoid enough to speculate that the purpose of this whole deal is to allow some misbegotten miscreant on the dark web access to my settings if I do decide to update my password. I hate this stuff!

Blog Entries

Fixed it. It was in Chrome settings all along. I found a button that said "dismiss warning" - dismissed. Done and dusted. Whew!

7. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

addamr