Thread: Weber Yellowstone vs Northfield Big Mon

Default Weber Yellowstone vs Northfield Big Mon

I am having trouble deciding between these two mandos. Any input would be appreciated

Default Re: Weber Yellowstone vs Northfield Big Mon

Sound will change over time due to picks, strings, your technique and just age. The feel of the instrument in your fretting hand will not. Choose wisely.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Blog Entries

There is no wrong decision here. You could eenie meenie miney mo and come out a winner.

The real question: are they enough different that owning one you will feel the lack of the other? Get one or get both?
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I love my Yellowstone mandola for the gorgeous tone, the action is also quite nice, but the Big Mon's I've heard have a deep throaty voice and are generally sweet to play (although the one owner I know says he would not use it for Celtic music).
    If you are looking for a specific "Bluegrass" sound I would lean towards Northfield, for more of a diverse pallet the Yellowstone.
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

I am a bluegrasser so this is good info. Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yellowstone.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	203722
    My 2017 Weber Yellowstone has opened up wonderfully. It has great volume but can be played quietly as well with no loss of tone. This one has a red spruce top and is a bluegrass monster.

My Big Mon, Miss Maybelle, is my #1 but I have a penchant for the increased mids & lows you get from the body design. I own & have owned a few Webers and I find both their neck & overall tone to be unique. Not better or worse, just different. They're both top end models from great builders with good resale so you can't go wrong either way but Maybelle's gonna be the one I grab in a fire
    2020 Northfield Big Mon
    2016 Skip Kelley A5
    2011 Weber Gallatin A20
    2021 Northfield Flattop Octave Mandolin
    2019 Pono Flattop Octave
    Richard Beard Celtic Flattop
    And a few electrics

Lots of good advice here. Both good quality mandos that will allow you to do whatever you ned to do. Can't go wrong.

The only thing I would add: You probably have a gut feeling that you like one more than the other. Go with that. Given that they are both good; follow your intuition.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

I have a Weber F5 Madison, and had a Northfield F5s. Both are very nice, can’t go wrong with either. The Weber fit and finish is flawless and has a slight edge over the Northfield IMHO. A key difference is the fretboard. The Weber is straight 10” radius, whereas the Northfield is compound radius 5.7” to 7.7”, which is quite curved. I prefer the flatter Weber. YMMV…what a great “problem” to have ☺️
    Pomeroy F5 2003
    Weber Madison F5 2013
    Weber Sweet Pea travel mando 2006
    Eric Ouren open back banjo
    Bart Reiter open back banjo

I've owned both, and my Yellowstone is incredible. I had a Northfield MM Engelmann Top that I kick myself once a month for selling. I recently went to Morgan Music and they had an Engelmann Topped Big Mon that was only surpassed by a Gibson Fern.

I would highly, highly recommend playing a Weber before you order one. Pre-2010ish or so they seem to be decently consistent, but the final periods before Bruce retired I have found extremely hit or miss.

Meanwhile, I would be extremely comfortable ordering a Northfield without playing or even seeing the thing. They are as consistent as they come with a few absolute stunners mixed in.

TL;DR, A good Weber is nearly unmatched, but a bad one will majorly disappoint. Never seen a "Bad" Northfield, have seen and owned some spectacular ones.

11. The following members say thank you to Keith Witty for this post:

I read recently that Weber had been sold. So the new owners may come up with their own spin and a new sound. Just trying to muddy the waters here a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Buckingham View Post
    I read recently that Weber had been sold. So the new owners may come up with their own spin and a new sound. Just trying to muddy the waters here a bit.
    This is true, but Ryan Fish is the head luthier and he makes *incredible* mandolins. I have one.

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    If you are looking for a specific "Bluegrass" sound I would lean towards Northfield, for more of a diverse pallet the Yellowstone.
    I agree completely. The Big Mon has a stronger chop, but the Yellowstone has a richer tone for playing melodies and open chords.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Can you play them both? I had a 2004 Yellowstone for a few years but I just could not adjust to the neck shape of that particular instrument. May be fine for you, but my point is to get each one in your hands if you can.
    Follow the Flatt Stanley Incident on Facebook

Listen to original tune "When You Fly" by my old band The Kindreds