Thread: Washburn Jethro Burns M4S

Default Washburn Jethro Burns M4S

Last week I bought I believe it is a 1981(based on serial number research) Jethro Burns Washburn M4S mandolin.

I bought the mandolin for the trip I was taking, because I didn't want to take one of my more expensive mandolins. The plan was to list the mandolin for sale when I got back home from my trip, but I think I am going to keep it, because it sounds much better than I expected it would.

Really great sounding mandolin with better volume than I thought it would have. Even with old light gauge strings it sounds surprisingly good. I can't wait to install new D'addario EJ-74 strings on this mandolin.

Is this great tone typical of the 1980's built Jethro Burns Washburn mandolins? Or did I just get lucky?

2. The following members say thank you to MandoMan1 for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default Re: Washburn Jethro Burns M4S

Listening to jethro play one, I’d say yes it’s typical?
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

It's been a while, but I had one of those of the same vintage once that was quite qood, both the craftsmanship and tone.

Thank you for the feedback! I wish I could play this mandolin like Jethro did. He has always been a mandolin hero to me. Good to hear other owners experienced the same great tone that I am enjoying. I did change the strings last night to D'Addario EJ-74 strings and now it is sounding better this morning.

There is quite a bit of discussion on this model if you search the forums. One poster said they were "junk"; another poster disagreed strongly.
    Congrats on finding a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Phantoj View Post
    There is quite a bit of discussion on this model if you search the forums. One poster said they were "junk"; another poster disagreed strongly.
    Congrats on finding a good one!
    Thank you! I remember reading that someone said they were junk and I guess I let their judgement influence me until I actually played one, which certainly surprised me how good it sounds, because I was expecting it to not be this good.

I have a Washburn Jethro Burns model M5S-SB s/n 824691 that I bought used 25 plus years ago. My first real mandolin. My understanding was his was model M6S and they were the same but the M6 had the rope type binding and the M5 has the more traditional layered binding. Came with the tail piece cover engraved with his signature.
    Nice even tone across the all the range and very smooth and comfortable fretting. Not particularly loud but that is typical of these instruments. As mentioned by previous poster many discussions through the years.
    I consider mine one of the good ones, so congrats to you for finding a good one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1665586290582.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	353.3 KB 
ID:	203720
    My Washburn M5S and a pic of the album cover Old Friends with Red Rector. Jethro with his M6. And Red with his classic old Gibson oval hole. Some great pickin and some fun banter too. (Rebel 1626 - 1983).
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

10. The following members say thank you to Bob Gnann for this post:

Name:	IMG_1665586290582.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	353.3 KB 
ID:	203720
    Ratliff R5 2007, Capek A5 2003, Washburn M5S-SB Jethro Burns 1982, Mid-Mo M-2, Epiphone MM 30 Bk mandolins, Harmony Batwing 1970's, George Bauer bowlback early 1900's Philadelphia.

"Don't cloud the issue with facts!" Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gnann View Post
    I have a Washburn Jethro Burns model M5S-SB s/n 824691 that I bought used 25 plus years ago. My first real mandolin. My understanding was his was model M6S and they were the same but the M6 had the rope type binding and the M5 has the more traditional layered binding. Came with the tail piece cover engraved with his signature.
    Nice even tone across the all the range and very smooth and comfortable fretting. Not particularly loud but that is typical of these instruments. As mentioned by previous poster many discussions through the years.
    I consider mine one of the good ones, so congrats to you for finding a good one.
    Thank you Bob! Good looking Washburn Jethro Burns mandolin you have. Thank you for sharing the photo and information about your mandolin!

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    Listening to jethro play one, I’d say yes it’s typical?
    As monumentally great as Burns was and where he sits on the Mt. Olympus of mandolin players, I would venture that "tone" was not his major virtue as a player. This assessment comes from the only time I saw him live but, between his thin pick, internal pickup on his Washburn, and cheap amp he was plugged into, his tone was thin and nearly cringe-inducing. Fortunately for me, everything that came outta his mouth was riotously hilarious and every note he played was a musical gem, tone be damned...
    too many strings

14. The following members say thank you to musicofanatic for this post:

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

The earlier models were often quite good. The M6 models were generally decent early on. The top thickness and finish types seemed to degrade. Mine had incredible flamed maple on the back, and nicely right grain on the top. A little more attention to the issues I mentioned and it would have not been part of a trade deal.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

The earlier models were often quite good. The M6 models were generally decent early on. The top thickness and finish types seemed to degrade in quality over the years. Mine had incredible flamed maple on the back, and nicely tight grain on the top. A little more attention to the issues I mentioned and it would have not been part of a trade deal.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

I bought my Washburn M4S brand new around 1981. When I bought my Colling's, it became my practice mandolin but I still play it every day and I wouldn't dream of parting with it. I removed the pick-guard to expose more of the occulted f-hole and added a Fishman bridge pickup that works great. When the frets got too grooved I had them replaced with a harder grade of fret wire. And when one of the pins on the stamped tailpiece failed, I installed an Allen cast one myself. All of these upgrades seemed to give it more volume and sustain. Over time the tone got better and better. Frets Magazine published a very complimentary review of the M4S right around the time I bought it. Now, it's not really fair to compare its sound to instruments costing five times as much and more, but it's still a substantial value for the money. I hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed mine. And as I've said before, "Why would I sell it? It knows all my tunes."
    Jethro lives! (Tiny, too!)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Morse View Post
    I bought my Washburn M4S brand new around 1981. When I bought my Colling's, it became my practice mandolin but I still play it every day and I wouldn't dream of parting with it. I removed the pick-guard to expose more of the occulted f-hole and added a Fishman bridge pickup that works great. When the frets got too grooved I had them replaced with a harder grade of fret wire. And when one of the pins on the stamped tailpiece failed, I installed an Allen cast one myself. All of these upgrades seemed to give it more volume and sustain. Over time the tone got better and better. Frets Magazine published a very complimentary review of the M4S right around the time I bought it. Now, it's not really fair to compare its sound to instruments costing five times as much and more, but it's still a substantial value for the money. I hope you enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed mine. And as I've said before, "Why would I sell it? It knows all my tunes."
    Awesome thank you! Do you remember what your M4S cost new? I don't blame you for not selling it. It is a lot of mandolin for the money. The Washburn Jethro Burns mandolins were built in Japan?

Mine had the pickguard stored in the case compartment. Still in good shape.

I would like to see that Frets Magazine review.

Quote Originally Posted by MandoMan1 View Post
    Do you remember what your M4S cost new? I don't blame you for not selling it. I would like to see that Frets Magazine review.
    Look what I found! I've kept this article in the original hard-shell case ($79) for 43 years. In 1979 the Japan-built Washburn M4S listed for $749 which the Bureau of Labor Statistics inflation calculator says would be $3,254.89 in today's dollars. I bought mine at Buckdancer's Choice in Portland, ME, which is still in business, and I'm sure I got a nice discount. All in all, a great value—and a Jethro Burns signature model to boot!

Name:	Washburn 4M4S Frets Mag. .pdf 
Views:	105 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	203734
    Jethro lives! (Tiny, too!)

20. The following members say thank you to Tom Morse for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Morse View Post
    Look what I found! I've kept this article in the original hard-shell case ($79) for 43 years. In 1979 the Japan-built Washburn M4S listed for $749 which the Bureau of Labor Statistics inflation calculator says would be $3,254.89 in today's dollars. I bought mine at Buckdancer's Choice in Portland, ME, which is still in business, and I'm sure I got a nice discount. All in all, a great value—and a Jethro Burns signature model to boot!

Name:	Washburn 4M4S Frets Mag. .pdf 
Views:	105 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	203734
    Tom, thank you so much for sharing this. Interesting and informative!

I got the brown rectangle case. The same case is on eBay for $249. Nice case.