Thread: Buzz on open D string on jbovier ELS

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default Buzz on open D string on jbovier ELS

So it’s clearly the nut. 12 years of constant use will do that.

The question is - should I get the nut recut? Or get a new nut? If the latter where can I source one from? It’s a four string solidbody.

Thanks in advance.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Default Re: Buzz on open D string on jbovier ELS

You can cut out a piece of the nut wider than the string by 1/16", or so, on each side. Now replace it with a piece of the same material that fits that space. File the string slot. You don't have to go all the way thru the nut, but enough below the string for support. You won't notice a difference in sound.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

That's my preferred repair as well. The quick-n-dirty fix is superglue and baking soda to fill the slot, but that's temporary and as a pro, I wouldn't do it.
    The inlaid material doesn't have to be the same as the original nut- a bone inlay would be an upgrade to a Tusq nut, for example.

Greg Mirken
    Shade Tree Fretted Instrument Repair, retired
    Nevada City, California

5. The following members say thank you to Greg Mirken for this post:

Thank you everyone.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay

Another temporary instant easy fix: put a tiny piece of paper under the string in the nut slot.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Haywood For This Useful Post:

You might also check that the first fret hasn't lifted slightly under the D string.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

10. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

FWIW, I've had bone dust/baking soda/superglue repairs that have lasted 25 years and still going on guitars I play. EVEN EASIER is a quicker fix I often use -- just put a squirt of superglue only (no baking soda, just the superglue) on a piece of scrap plastic/country crock lid, etc. and THEN cut a small piece of paper, I use an index card thickness, don't use much, just dip the tip of the paper into the superglue and carefully slide it into the needed nut slot. I let it dry overnight, but probably not necessary. Tune it up and see if it fixes the problem. If it makes the slot too high, just file it down. Anyway, it seems I do this on setups, etc. several times a month for customers. Sometimes just switching to a lighter gauge string set will cause buzzing. The ADVANTAGE of this method is that it takes 30 seconds and if it doesn't work you can still do the replace nut or bone insert or baking soda route, but 9 times out of 10 this is all you need. Oh yeah, if you think superglue isn't hard enough by itself, put a drop on a hard surface and let it dry completely, then take a screwdriver and hit it with a hammer hard. You probably won't even dent it, in my experience. Good luck!

It goes without saying, whenever I use superglue I always tape off anything I don't want glue on, just in case.

12. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

All good suggestions here. I'll add that I start with the paper in the slot to help determine what kind of permanent repair is needed. A thin piece of paper may stop the buzz. If not, a second thin piece usually will stop it, and it will give you a good idea of how deep the problem is. I've played a couple of instruments for several years with the paper still in. If it is an outside slot, I would consider making a new nut because the end of the nut will likely chip off eventually. That always seems to happen at the worst time.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

14. The following members say thank you to Tom Haywood for this post:

Finally took it to my tech guy. It now plays beautifully again.

Thank you all for your advice. It's deeply appreciated.