Thread: 1940's GIBSON f4

Default 1940's GIBSON f4

Please provide any thoughts on early '40s Gibson mandolins. Opinions seem to vary widely. Include whether you'd actually own one as well as any personal experience playing one. Thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1942 F4.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	203465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	'42 F4.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	203466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F4 back.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	203467
    Last edited by Matt; Sep-23-2022 at 6:00pm.

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: 1940's GIBSON f4

I spent some hours with this mandolin many years ago and thought it was very good: http://reverb.com/item/52762666-gibs...-1939-sunburst -- NFI-- I have no connection or experience with the seller.

It had a tone that was much jazzier than a typical teens or twenties model. It's the only one from that period I've spent any time with, so I don't know whether or not it can be considered typical for the period.
    Last edited by rcc56; Sep-23-2022 at 5:20pm.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

Hi, I see it. Nice looking instrument.
    Thanks!

Teacher, repair person

It's hard to see in the pictures, but there are a couple of spots on the back where it looks like a drop or two of whiskey marked the finish. It doesn't look bad, but it's there. We could only guess what the story behind it might have been.

The back also has quite a striking figure, which also is not easy to see in the pictures.
    I put a set of modern frets into it when it belonged to Norman. If it hasn't been fooled with since then, it should play well.

the one I'm interested in is picture above. it has quite a bit more bling, what I would term as more in following the F4 tradition vs. F2. It's also a tad less expensive. Unfortunately I can't play it in advance. Whiskey relic-ing is good added value!

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    ... but there are a couple of spots on the back where it looks like a drop or two of whiskey marked the finish....We could only guess what the story behind it might have been....
    I'm not a drinker, despite my handle here, but one can certainly imagine such a story.

I'm hoping it would be a good one. True or not doesn't matter.

I'll play Whisky Before Breakfast over breakfast on a bowlback or button box or PA at least a lot of times each week with my tacos, just because.

Could be salsa or bbq sauce taking the finish off.

My salsa, at least, can peel paint.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Teacher, repair person

I found the one you're looking at. The listed price is actually higher than the one I linked to. That link is working now.
    For the extra money, you do get the fancier peghead and an original case, and I can appreciate your desire for a nicer peghead.

You should note that the one you pictured is being listed with a no return policy, so the 5K question is: are you willing to take a gamble?

Whatever you decide, I hope you end up with something you like.

9. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Matt 

Nope!

Teacher, repair person

Well, the whiskey spot mandolin is a fairly long drive for you, but it's do-able. You could do a weekend trip and hang out in the mountains while you're at it.

The one that Bob linked to has mojo attached: Norman Blake and Harry West. I assume it has some good tonal character, too.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

13. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I had a 1940 (or near to ) years ago and it was dead. It was the first (of 9) F4s I bought and bought it because I'd fancied a Gibson F4 for a good few years. It was in good condition but no volume. I think they are all different so you've got to play them first before buying, IMHO.

At one point I owned a 40's F-4, and F-4s from 1920 and 1927. They all sounded surprisingly different. The 1940 was by far the loudest. It even had a little bit of a chop. It also had a problem with the top sinking so it was the first to go. There's a slight chance that I played the mandolin you have pictured. I knew Harry West and I'm guessing that the seller is one of his sons. It's probably been 20 years ago but I remember playing a late F-4 at Harry's that I remember as sounding very good. The 27 was the keeper for me tho'.
    Tom Mylet