Thread: 1976 Epiphone BG440

===========

Default 1976 Epiphone BG440

I am giving this some consideration - any thoughts, suggestions, comments, criticisms and/or opinions are appreciated.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ep...40-Mandolin.gc

DISCLAIMER: I am 1,300 miles away from the actual instrument, so giving it a test drive is unfortunately not an option; (unless somebody here lives near Mobile and can check it out). Also, I have been a 'newbie' player for the last 23 years, so I'm not looking for a top quality instrument - just something decent and fun.

Thanks!

Default Re: 1976 Epiphone BG440

I would guess that this mandolin was made in Japan and sold under a number of brand names. I have a two point I bought new in 1977 and it is a well made instrument branded as Suzuki but I think the mandolin was also sold as an Ibanez model and made by the company that used this brand name. This appears to be the same instrument as yours and sold as an Aria. To make comparisons, you need to make sure that you are comparing the same instrument in terms of build quality as they were made to be sold at a number of price points- 300, 400 and 500 seem to be the designations on many. My experience of my two point is that its fingerboard is quite wide which makes it easier to play than some other mandolins- subject to string height etc. I do not know if the Gibson A5 that they are modelled on also has this slightly wider board. I think it fair to suggest that Japanese instruments of this era were well made although production shifted to Korea so many you may see after a certain date were made there. Some sellers want crazy money for these mandolins while others sell quite cheaply.
    https://reverb.com/item/19024825-ari...980-s-sunburst

Teacher, repair person

The reason we bought and played Epiphone mandolins in the mid 1970's was because they were all you could get, at least where I lived.
    My experience was that they were good for strumming 2 fingered open chords, and maybe good enough to play an easy version of "The Girl I Left Behind Me."
    Unless you get lucky, I wouldn't expect to get much more than that out of one. It should be friendlier than a late 80's - early 90's Epi, though.

500 series Eastmans are much better mandolins.

Same age as my old Ibanez 524. As rcc56 says, Pac-rim instruments were as good as you could get back then and I played it into the 21st century. Likely heavily built and finished. You could do better. Think Eastman or Kentucky.

Rather skimpy description, and in most things, ‘fair’ means obvious issues, so a real pig in a poke. It easily could require more than the purchase price in repairs, or even be economically unrepairable. However, if the appeal is the specific shape or decoration, rather than sound or playability, you could just buy it. Certainly, many people who write in here prefer an F-type to an A just on appearance, and some enjoy elaborate wood graining and finishing. Others just want a model that their favorite artist uses.
    Unless some of the above applies, I’d suggest buying something that you can play in person, and that sounds good in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    the mandolin was also sold as an Ibanez model
    I had the Ibanez and it was pretty much junk. Very pretty to look at though. I agree, you can do better for the money.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

===========

THANKS all for the feedback . . . most appreciated.

The Ibanez one could have been the 522 model. One from 1976 is illustraeted here - http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibane...p=&y=1976.html

I looked the model up on reverb and one sold for $444 and one sold for $499, so the price is right. Cool and uncommon 2-point body style -- I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I looked the model up on reverb and one sold for $444 and one sold for $499, so the price is right. Cool and uncommon 2-point body style -- I like it!
    I don't know where in CT you live, but if you are near a guitar center, they can ship the mandolin to a store near you, so you might save some shipping that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    The Ibanez one could have been the 522 model. One from 1976 is illustraeted here - http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibane...p=&y=1976.html
    I had one of those Ibanez mandolins back in the early 70's. It might have been solid wood but it was thick and sounded like it.

Also, since it is Guitar Center they have a 45 day money back return policy, so that gives you plenty of time to decide if it suits your needs, FWIW.

13. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Are you aware that GC has a policy of shipping the instrument to your nearest GC. I did that with an old archtop. I did have to pay for it in full but they dipped it to y nearest store and if it was terrible I could have just left it there. In. Other words the deal was they would deal with the return shipping, I believe. Anyway it is one of the few good things about GC. Actually what I did was call the original store and talk to a guy there with the instrument in hand to find out if he could detect any issues. He was pretty reasonable Ned relatively knowledgeable. It worked out great and I still have the guitar one made in 1936.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

15. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Also, since it is Guitar Center they have a 45 day money back return policy, so that gives you plenty of time to decide if it suits your needs, FWIW.
    Jeff, I was recently told that Guitar Center severely shortened that 45 day return policy (ONLY ON USED ITEMS). So, ask before you purchase.

Mike

17. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post: