Thread: Nylon-Strung Piccolo Mandolin Prototype

Default Nylon-Strung Piccolo Mandolin Prototype

A few weeks back, I posted a couple of pictures in the What’s on Your Bench thread, of the latest mandolin to leave my bench, a prototype nylon-strung, four string piccolo (sopranino) mandolin. For those who might not have seen these smallest and highest voiced members of the mandolin family, they are tuned a fourth above the mandolin (cgda) and have a scale length of about 10.3 inches. They are exceedingly rare but fun little instruments that have a legitimate place in the mandolin family.

I’ve built a number of piccolo mandolins at this point and each of them but this latest one has had double courses of steel strings, per usual. Here, I’d like to show some photos and videos comparing this new nylon strung piccolo mandolin to the more typical steel-strung piccolo mandolin that I built some time ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nylon Piccolo Front.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	203009

Name:	Nylon Piccolo Back.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	203010

Name:	Piccolo Pair Front.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	203011

Name:	Piccolo Pair Back.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	203012

I have four videos read to post here but I have to figure out how to do it. They are MP4 Files. They'll have to go on a later post, once I can overcome my technical issue (lack of technical prowess).

Both of these instruments have backs and ribs of local (Southwestern N.J.) Cherry. Both have tops of Adirondack Spruce, and both have hard Red Maple Necks. Bridges differ considerably, as do tailpieces.

Tops and backs have an induced radius of about 15’. Bracing of the two instruments is also quite different. Both have a transverse brace in the locale of the bridge, with two small braces running from the transverse brace to the linings either side of the neck block. But the nylon strung piccolo has modified Torres bracing with braces that taper to a knife-type edge, and small flat braces arranged as a fan south of the transverse brace. This, plus the very low string tension, allows for a very thin top.

Why go to this trouble? I am looking for different voices in the mandolin family; voices we can use to enrich the music we play. I’m also interested in developing mandolin family instruments with very light string tension that sound good. This would enable players with various hand conditions to continue playing despite their limited ability to fret high tension strings.

I believe the prototype shown here is successful, but you be the judge for your own purposes. I think it has a voice that will work in a number of genres. I’m currently building another like this one, plus a larger member of the mandolin family, of a similar design. I’ll keep you posted.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nylon Piccolo front.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	419.7 KB 
ID:	203007   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nylon Piccolo Back.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	528.3 KB 
ID:	203008  
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bob Clark For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Nylon-Strung Piccolo Mandolin Prototype

I think you have to upload your videos to another internet host like YouTube or Vimeo and then link to them from here. They are probably too big to upload directly.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Aug-31-2022 at 7:36am.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

They are really nice. If it's taking up too much room, I'd happily store it for you
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I think you have to upload your videos to another internet host like YouTube or Vimeo and then link to them from here. They are probably too big to upload directly.
    Thanks for the advice, Jim. You are right. Scott directed me to put the videos up on one of those types of sites and then the Cafe links them in from there (sorry if my terminology is at the low level of my web savy-ness). So, to that end, I tried to open a FaceBook account. Seems I did it wrong, probably due to former failed attempts at signing up, because they told me I was violating their rules. FB is reviewing my situation now and will tell me whether I can have an account. Who knows; could also be that there are too many 'Bob Clarks' (there are millions of us). As soon as I get this sorted out, I'll post the videos so you can hear what these piccolos sound like.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    They are really nice. If it's taking up too much room, I'd happily store it for you
    Thanks for the compliment. You have always been supportive, and I appreciate it.

You know, these piccolo mandolins are really small. They fit into a Concert Uke gig bag with room to spare. So, they aren't taking up too much room (but I am hoping my wife won't look in certain closets! ). Too bad you live so far away. I'd let you borrow one to give it a try! I've sold some, I've given a couple away, I've loaned them out. I'm an evangelizer for the Piccolo Mandolin cause .

7. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Very nice indeed and the size is appealing for travel, fun use. I would love to see one with nylon strings and a slotted headstock.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    Very nice indeed and the size is appealing for travel, fun use. I would love to see one with nylon strings and a slotted headstock.
    Thanks, and you are right, they are fun and really easy to travel with!

I like your idea of the slotted headstock. I'll do that on the one I am building now. The body is started but the neck is not, so it's a good time to follow your suggestion. Let's see how a slotted headstock works out. I think it will look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    Thanks for the advice, Jim. You are right. Scott directed me to put the videos up on one of those types of sites and then the Cafe links them in from there (sorry if my terminology is at the low level of my web savy-ness). So, to that end, I tried to open a FaceBook account. Seems I did it wrong, probably due to former failed attempts at signing up, because they told me I was violating their rules. FB is reviewing my situation now and will tell me whether I can have an account. Who knows; could also be that there are too many 'Bob Clarks' (there are millions of us). As soon as I get this sorted out, I'll post the videos so you can hear what these piccolos sound like.
    i think it is probably easier to both open, upload, and then embed the video on YouTube vs. Facebook. At least that is my experience.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

OK, here's my first attempt at posting videos on the Cafe! Let's see if this works. There should be two videos demonstrating my new nylon-strung piccolo mandolin prototype (the first two videos) and two videos demonstrating one of my typical steel-strung piccolo mandolins (videos three and four on the list below). The same two simple pieces are played on each mandolin, for comparison. Fingers crossed.

https://www.facebook.com/10008523726...07963873223352
    https://www.facebook.com/10008523726...76303617414577
    https://www.facebook.com/10008523726...84580368591485
    https://www.facebook.com/10008523726...04116827568166

Dang, no cigar. I was looking forward to the videos. Don't give up. Many MC folks can help with the tech challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    Dang, no cigar. I was looking forward to the videos. Don't give up. Many MC folks can help with the tech challenge.
    Agreed. MC videos are no good if you have to log into FB to see them. I'm trying out Jim Garber's suggesting and exploring YouTube right now. I'll be back!

OK, Here we go again. I think this will work (famous last words). As suggested by Jim (thanks Jim!), these are from YouTube. Here are the two Nylon-Strung Piccolo Mandolin Videos.

16. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

And here are the two standard steel-strung piccolo mandolin videos for comparison.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Clark For This Useful Post:

They both sound great, Bob, and I love the idea of making something easy to play for people whose hands need a break.
    Is that your own tune?
    "To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

20. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Nice sounding mandolins, Bob. And I’m glad you figured out the video.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

22. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I like the simplistic builds. The style reminds me of Baroque instruments.

I really liked the sound of the instrument in the first video. Nice timbre, punch, ring, and intonation.

What type of strings did you use to get the CGDA tuning?

I'd be interested in buying one if you're selling them. Feel free to PM me.

24. The following members say thank you to daLimuHead for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Thanks for the compliment. You have always been supportive, and I appreciate it.
    Aw, gee, thanks. You do great work, and I'm always amazed at what people come up with here. Love your work.

You know, these piccolo mandolins are really small. They fit into a Concert Uke gig bag with room to spare. So, they aren't taking up too much room (but I am hoping my wife won't look in certain closets! ). Too bad you live so far away. I'd let you borrow one to give it a try! I've sold some, I've given a couple away, I've loaned them out. I'm an evangelizer for the Piccolo Mandolin cause .
    If I ever get your way (or you mine), let's make it happen. I'd love to have a go at one.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

26. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by daLimuHead View Post
    I like the simplistic builds. The style reminds me of Baroque instruments.

I really liked the sound of the instrument in the first video. Nice timbre, punch, ring, and intonation.

What type of strings did you use to get the CGDA tuning?

I'd be interested in buying one if you're selling them. Feel free to PM me.
    Thank you for your nice comments, I appreciate it. I'm glad you like my instruments. I really am trying for a clean, simplistic aesthetic that allows the wood to show itself off, and perhaps harken back to an earlier era. I'm pleased that you 'get it'.

Strings are as follows:

c D'Addario Classical Guitar J2704 Wound
    g D'Addario Classical Guitar J2704 Wound (Same as 'c' string)
    d .028 String from D'Addario from EJ65S Ukulele Strings
    a .024 String from D'Addario from EJ65S Ukulele Strings

I'm still experimenting though. Finding the optimal strings is a fun treasure hunt.

I'll send you a PM soon.

Best wishes,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    They both sound great, Bob, and I love the idea of making something easy to play for people whose hands need a break.
    Is that your own tune?
    Hi Sue,

I'm so glad you like the sound. I know that you know the 'flat-top' sound.

No, I can claim neither of these tunes. The first one is Jean de Nivelle by Jaques Mangeant (1610) and the other is Pretty Little Cat from one of Evelyn Tiffany-Castiglioni's songbooks. She was a real treasure and contributed greatly with her beautiful arrangements. My Duo plays much of her music. She indicated that this might not be this tune's real name, but I'm sticking to it because it fits!

Best wishes,

Bob