Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandolin is guitar upside down?

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Default Re: Mandolin is guitar upside down?

Yup. In blues, country, and rock guitar, it's virtually universal. I think the only genres where you can get away with never barring two strings with one finger are classical, folk, and jazz.
    Gibson A-Junior snakehead (Keep on pluckin'!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    A mandolin is a mandolin, not an upside down guitar, not a fretted , plucked fiddle er excuse me violin; not a ukulele. If you are going to play mandolin, LEARN HOW!!! Don’t even try to learn to adapt your guitar playing to a mandolin, if that is what you want STICK WITH THE GUITAR. A mandolin is a great instrument in its own right, treat it as such
    I heartily agree. But knowing guitar chords does help me figure out mandolin chords. What I know I use. No crime in that.

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    Okay, I'll amend that to say it's something I never ran into while playing Blues, Jazz, and "American Fingerstyle" for 30-odd years on guitar. . . .

I assume you're talking about a "bent" index or other finger, and not pressing straight down with just the fingertip? . . .
    Interesting! A good example of different strokes. I'm mainly a blues guitar guy — acoustic and electric, standard and open tuning, finger-style and melodic. I flatten my first, second, third, and fourth fingers all the time. Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Yes. A guitar is strung like an upside-down bass guitar.
    Hmmmm… do you mean a mandolin is strung like an upside-down bass guitar? A guitar is strung like a bass guitar with extra strings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Question Re: Mandolin is guitar upside down?

Circle of 5ths adds a # in the key signature in one direction ,

where the other way it adds a flat symbol in order, in 4ths.

FCGDAEB <...> BEADGCF

[Mnemonic BEAD Go Catch Fish .. lingers to this day]

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

FCGDAEB <...> BEADGCF

Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle

Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles Father
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

So, a right-handed guitar player can play a left-handed mandolin upside down and use guitar chords?

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    So, a right-handed guitar player can play a left-handed mandolin upside down and use guitar chords?
    Let us know how that goes! [Says the guy who’s given up bass for mandolin.]
    A couple years in, now, and still learning!
    Ratliff F-style Country Boy
    Eastman MDO-305 Octave Mandolin
    Kentucky KM-272

I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.

I am not talking about double stops. I am talking about playing chords, though the technique can be used on double stops as well. For example an E minor chord on guitar, can be played with one finger pressing the second fret on both the fourth and fifth string if you have large fingers. Similarly an A or E chord can be played with two fingers The same approach can be used on mandolin. If your fingers are large it is done with the tip, not mini bars or flattening the finger. Doc and Merle used the ends of their fingers to do it.

11. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

I can't believe no one else has said this so I will - a mandolin is not an upside down guitar, a guitar is an upside down mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Hmmmm… do you mean a mandolin is strung like an upside-down bass guitar? A guitar is strung like a bass guitar with extra strings.
    Ugh! Yes. Now excuse me while I go fire my prufe reeder.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    Similarly an A or E chord can be played with two fingers
    I can play an A chord with one finger! Send in 20 boxtops to learn my secret.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Interesting! A good example of different strokes. I'm mainly a blues guitar guy — acoustic and electric, standard and open tuning, finger-style and melodic. I flatten my first, second, third, and fourth fingers all the time. Why not?
    I flatten my fingers playing Blues on guitar too. It was the vertical touch of an un-bent fingertip that I never used on two adjacent guitar strings because it could never cover both strings at once. Works a treat for two adjacent courses on mandolin though. Very useful in Irish/Scottish trad for those "modal A" 22OO and "modal E" O22O chords.

16. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

No.

It's a misnomer, and it's misleading.

OK, sure, the lowest four strings of a guitar are EADG and the strings of a mandolin are GDAE. So some guitar chords - but only those being fingered on the lowest four strings - will resemble mirror images of mandolin chords. For instance, 0023 on a mandolin corresponds to 3200 on guitar - those strings only. But that's about the only guitar chord whose appearance works in this way for me.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Of course it (the 'mirror imaging' of [bass] gtr and mndln 'chords') is precisely consistent throughout the entire fingerboard. Intervallic series are just that - no matter the instrument

There are innumerable relationships throughout music and 'theory' - that evince in commonalities among instruments. The more you explore, the more you'll find.

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    No.

OK, sure, the lowest four strings of a guitar are EADG and the strings of a mandolin are GDAE. So some guitar chords - but only those being fingered on the lowest four strings - will resemble mirror images of mandolin chords. For instance, 0023 on a mandolin corresponds to 3200 on guitar - those strings only. But that's about the only guitar chord whose appearance works in this way for me.
    If it's a misconception, it's a useful one. I flip guitar cowboy chords for most mando cowboy chords, though you're right that some are more awkward than others. (For example, I hate the mando E 1220.)

I use flipped guitar shapes for a few bar chords, too, but for some, it's generally easier to bar the mando cowboy shapes than try to imitate guitar bar chords.

For instance, my mando cowboy D is 2002, which is just an upside-down guitar D. But my bar E chord is 4224, which is virtually useless on guitar.

Some guitar bars are easy to flip and use, though. For instance, a mando cowboy G is 0023, as mentioned above — a turned-over guitar G. A bar A, one step up, is 2245, same as a common guitar bar shape, flipped.

One way or another, I build most my mando chords based on guitar shapes — though I must admit, the mando G 4523 isn't something I'd ever have any reason to flip and use on guitar.

In short, it's all about convenience. I'm still a novice, so I take whatever shortcuts I can find.

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

The tunings are acronyms. That’s where the similarity ends. Guitar is tuned in fourths, mandolin is tuned in fifths. I would not approach mandolin learning as an upside-down guitar.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Just slightly off topic, but probably helpful to those =at the level of= wading thru various chord shapes:

It took me a while to, duuh, realize that, when reading notation, guitar and mandolin, for the E and D strings, are ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL!! It's just that guitar sounds an octave lower than written (THAT only took me 5 decades to realize!), but reading/playing them is the same.

And it helps to notice that the other mandolin strings, A & G, have the same notes / locations as on guitar, but in different octaves.

Personal comment: Early on, I did find the "upside down guitar" concept helpful in finding chord shapes, especially if you remember trivia such as the D chord having an F# note on guitar's lowest string, even if it's not normally played. But as a major concept to hang all mandolin learning on? Not so much.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

small instrument, big fun Dan in NH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    Guitar is tuned in fourths, mandolin is tuned in fifths. I would not approach mandolin learning as an upside-down guitar.
    As has already been mentioned in this thread, fifths ascending is fourths descending

Mandolin = ɹɐʇᴉnפ or Mandolin ≠ ɹɐʇᴉnפ

Maybe for a tee-shirt or bumper sticker?
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Aug-31-2022 at 6:33pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

I flatten my fingers playing Blues on guitar too. It was the vertical touch of an un-bent fingertip that I never used on two adjacent guitar strings because it could never cover both strings at once. Works a treat for two adjacent courses on mandolin though. Very useful in Irish/Scottish trad for those "modal A" 22OO and "modal E" O22O chords.
    Thanks! I'll try it.

I was dusting around my music room last PM and picked up a mndln I have laying around. I noticed that fretting two courses on the mndln with the fingertip felt very much the same as executing the technique on cl/fl gtr. So I measured: the span of each is about 3/8".
    Last edited by catmandu2; Aug-31-2022 at 9:31pm.

I don’t think we disagree, I certainly use and expect others to use all the knowledge they process. Basic music theory knows no specific instrument. But each instrument has its place in the overall structure of music. Anybody ever heard a 6 string “banjo”’ tuner like a guitar, REALLY sound like a banjo.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    No.

If it's a misconception, it's a useful one. I flip guitar cowboy chords for most mando cowboy chords, though you're right that some are more awkward than others. (For example, I hate the mando E 1220.)
    I don't find the notion useful, not having been a guitarist before a mandolinist. (I did go there earlier, but never really bonded. Too many strings. ) But others may find use in this. I still see the two instruments as separate, with similarities despite compelling differences. The most involving interaction betwen the two arises when playing together, and it makes more sense to learn to be able to recognize guitar chords on sight as they are, and not try to translate one or the other. This is from a mandolinist's perspective, of course.

I don't know what "cowboy chords" are. Is that another way of saying "first position chords?"

Try 1224 for E. It's easier to form, and good and strong.

In short, it's all about convenience. I'm still a novice, so I take whatever shortcuts I can find.
    I think the more you play mandolin, the more you'll learn its distinct, unique character, and not need to lean on whatever steps in the process you use to achieve easy familiarity with the instrument, in and of itself. And someday you'll realize what a vastly superior instrument it is and wonder why it took you so long to attain this enlightenment. One hopes.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!