Thread: Ermelinda Silvestri - Needs help!

Default Ermelinda Silvestri - Needs help!

Hello-

Can you help me identify this Ermelinda Silvestri? I believe it to be around 1900ish. It came from a relative who immigrated from Italy in around 1910, and who passed away in the early 1970s. It's been sitting since

Obviously it is in pretty rough condition. Does anyone know what model it is?

1. Can this be saved/restored?
    2. Any idea of the value as is, or restored?

Thank you!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68313044354__F4FE276E-7CAE-4194-9CC5-8E0D393D5252.fullsizerender.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	575.5 KB 
ID:	202876Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68313032008__BF3D0327-FA3C-4453-8967-122D13198023.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	362.4 KB 
ID:	202877Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68313033165__F90ECFF5-8BB6-44AB-99F1-F8066A885A42.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	362.1 KB 
ID:	202878Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68313034373__1B865002-D0E1-409A-922E-7F80099511F2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	621.6 KB 
ID:	202879Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68313039440__50592083-1406-4FAE-92A1-6BDE06D4A6E5.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	470.3 KB 
ID:	202880Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68313040822__EFA43E2F-7793-4C82-985F-FB31AD92E055.fullsizerender.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	642.0 KB 
ID:	202881Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68313042717__54924FB7-51AE-47D6-AA08-370F6944283B.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	328.1 KB 
ID:	202882Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68313044354__F4FE276E-7CAE-4194-9CC5-8E0D393D5252.fullsizerender.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	575.5 KB 
ID:	202876

2. The following members say thank you to cawhite78 for this post:

Default Re: Ermelinda Silvestri - Needs help!

Is there a Silvestri label inside? I think the ornate tailpiece is not original- it appears to be an American style tailpiece with that ornate cover added.

Edit: The ornate tailpiece cover may have been original but the tailpiece broke and the tailpiece seen was a replacement while the original lyre style part was joined to the sleeve from the replacement.
    Last edited by NickR; Aug-25-2022 at 1:31pm.

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    Is there a Silvestri label inside? I think the ornate tailpiece is not original- it appears to be an American style tailpiece with that ornate cover added.
    Yes. That's the only way I could tell what it is.

I'm not from a mandolin background and don't know anything about them. I tried to look online, but there isn't much on the older stuff.

The mandolin came with an awesome pre-war gibson banjo guitar that is stunning.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Edit: The ornate tailpiece cover may have been original but the tailpiece broke and the tailpiece seen was a replacement while the original lyre style part was joined to the sleeve from the replacement.
    I have some Silvestri mandolins in my files with some rather ornate tailpieces, such as the one attached.

Cawhite...from my limited vantage point of about a dozen Silvestri mandolins, it appeared they, like other Catanese makers, were enthusiastic copiers of popular styles from Rome and Naples but usually with a delightful Sicilian flair.

From what I've seen they didn't have 'models' such as we are used to with contemporary US mandolins, or some of the bigger name Italian makers from the period.

Yours has a hybrid collection of design details: the V-shaped neck profile and slotted headstock from Roman mandolins and the carved "head" which one sees on some Neapolitan Vinaccia mandolins, as well as others.

The double banded top inlay is a typical Sicilan feature as is the exuberant scratchplate.

Silvestri used various labels on the mandolins, some touting their connection to Roma.
    These appear to have an earlier / older looking graphic layout and type font styles.

I would suggest the more colorful labels are later models given the style and type fonts used.

Can you post a photo of the label in yours?

It looks like a good quality mandolin, though the photos you posted make an assessment of its condition a little difficult.

The small bits of restoration of missing pieces of mother of pearl, etc. shouldn't be a big deal.

The value ...outside the sentimental value, such as this must have for you in abundance...will be totally based on its playability.

And that is almost entirely based on the condition of the neck.

Can you post some carefull taken photos showing a SIDE view of the mandolin where we can see the position of the strings relative to the neck?

Also a shot looking down along the neck from the headstock / tuners to the bridge / lower end of the mandolin.

And then a shot looking in the opposited direction, looking UP the neck.

These will be very helpful to ascertain the playability.

And, obviously, some better shots of the carved head, a great feature of the mandolin.

Maybe $100 if unplayable, maybe $1000 if playable? Perhaps more in a 'restored' state with all bling replace.

For a good while, the market for Italian mandolins was quite active in Japan, and may well still be.

Any estimate of value is totally subjective, if not a wild guess, as there isn't a large market for bowlback mandolins, and an even smaller one for those that are unplayable...there are hundreds if not thousands of unplayable Italian bowlback mandolins out there.

Silvestri wasn't one of the big names in Italian mandolins and many folks interested in bowlback mandolins tend to sniff at Sicilian instruments (which, to the contrary, I very much enjoy.)

This is a nice mandolin, for sure, so keep the photos coming.

Mick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silvestri_Ermelinda #3-Front.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	202884   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silvestri_Ermelinda#2-Label.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	202885   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silvestri_Ermelinda-Label.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	202887  

Name:	Silvestri-#6-Stamp.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	202886  
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

6. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

This Ermelinda Silvestri mandolin sold in the UK recently for very little. I estimate it as from about 1930 but yours- looking at its neck construction is earlier. You can see it also has an elaborate tailpiece but all original. It also has a solid headstock which is more typical. It looked like a nice instrument and it was in my opinion in quite good condition- from the photos, but may have issues once in one's hands for a close inspection.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-M...p2047675.l2557

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    I have some Silvestri mandolins in my files with some rather ornate tailpieces, such as the one attached.

Cawhite...from my limited vantage point of about a dozen Silvestri mandolins, it appeared they, like other Catanese makers, were enthusiastic copiers of popular styles from Rome and Naples but usually with a delightful Sicilian flair.

From what I've seen they didn't have 'models' such as we are used to with contemporary US mandolins, or some of the bigger name Italian makers from the period.

Yours has a hybrid collection of design details: the V-shaped neck profile and slotted headstock from Roman mandolins and the carved "head" which one sees on some Neapolitan Vinaccia mandolins, as well as others.

The double banded top inlay is a typical Sicilan feature as is the exuberant scratchplate.

Silvestri used various labels on the mandolins, some touting their connection to Roma.
    These appear to have an earlier / older looking graphic layout and type font styles.

I would suggest the more colorful labels are later models given the style and type fonts used.

Can you post a photo of the label in yours?

It looks like a good quality mandolin, though the photos you posted make an assessment of its condition a little difficult.

The small bits of restoration of missing pieces of mother of pearl, etc. shouldn't be a big deal.

The value ...outside the sentimental value, such as this must have for you in abundance...will be totally based on its playability.

And that is almost entirely based on the condition of the neck.

Can you post some carefull taken photos showing a SIDE view of the mandolin where we can see the position of the strings relative to the neck?

Also a shot looking down along the neck from the headstock / tuners to the bridge / lower end of the mandolin.

And then a shot looking in the opposited direction, looking UP the neck.

These will be very helpful to ascertain the playability.

And, obviously, some better shots of the carved head, a great feature of the mandolin.

Maybe $100 if unplayable, maybe $1000 if playable? Perhaps more in a 'restored' state with all bling replace.

For a good while, the market for Italian mandolins was quite active in Japan, and may well still be.

Any estimate of value is totally subjective, if not a wild guess, as there isn't a large market for bowlback mandolins, and an even smaller one for those that are unplayable...there are hundreds if not thousands of unplayable Italian bowlback mandolins out there.

Silvestri wasn't one of the big names in Italian mandolins and many folks interested in bowlback mandolins tend to sniff at Sicilian instruments (which, to the contrary, I very much enjoy.)

This is a nice mandolin, for sure, so keep the photos coming.

Mick
    Thank you so much for all of this info!

I have a few pics here of the label attached. It's difficult to get a good shot in the room I was in due to the low light.

I will take more pictures, but the mandolin is in a condition that is completely unplayable. Borderline destroyed. The top is separating from the body in some areas, and the binding is peeling off almost like used tape. Would love to get it restored. It looks like it would sound amazing.

It does have what looks to be the original leather hard case. It's also very ornate. I can get some pics of that too.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2790.jpg 
Size:	552.5 KB 
ID:	202890Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2791.jpg 
Size:	627.8 KB 
ID:	202891

This Ermelinda Silvestri mandolin sold in the UK recently for very little. I estimate it as from about 1930 but yours- looking at its neck construction is earlier. You can see it also has an elaborate tailpiece but all original. It also has a solid headstock which is more typical. It looked like a nice instrument and it was in my opinion in quite good condition- from the photos, but may have issues once in one's hands for a close inspection.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-M...p2047675.l2557
    This one I would put in the "unplayable" category, perhaps even when the "Silvestri" brand was being used on a far more ordinary range of instruments.

Given the very wide range of stylistic variation in the ES mandolins, even the older models, and the length of time the brand has been available (ca 1900 into the 1950s) it makes one wonder if these were from an actual fabricator or were part of a branded / jobbed production.

Or maybe some complex relationship between the two.

The Catanese stringed instrument history is fascinating and over here we only ever get fragmented glimpses into it.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

I like it, and hope you can at least clean up the cosmetics, even if the playability is too challenging. What I like is the Art Nouveau sinuosity all over, even if it could induce nausea if you had to see it while playing!
    The one shot of a side view does hint at neck movement, but not beyond remedy.

I would roughly date it in 1910s-1920s. At some stage Silvestri teamed up with another maker Sgroi and had mandolins made under Sgroi-Silvestri joint brand. Then they apparently split and Sgroi teamed up with some Mancuso and became Sgroi-Mancuso and Silvestri went solo. I guess one day someone will put all the bits and pieces together and write a book about all those enterprising and innovative Sicilian mandolin makers.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vic-victor For This Useful Post:

This thread -towards the bottom explains the history of Silvestri and the various names as mentioned by vic-victor above with a couple of labels also shown.

https://letstalkguild.com/ltg/index....inding.199273/

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NickR For This Useful Post:

Thanks all for the info thus far.

Here are some more pictures. Let me know what you guys think!

Name:	IMG_3003.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	203119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3004.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	203120Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3005.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	203121Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3007.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	913.5 KB 
ID:	203122Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3008.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	868.3 KB 
ID:	203123Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3009.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	203124Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3010.jpg 
Size:	1,012.3 KB 
ID:	203125Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3011.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	933.6 KB 
ID:	203126Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3012.jpg 
Size:	977.4 KB 
ID:	203127Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3013.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	782.3 KB 
ID:	203128Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3014.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	940.7 KB 
ID:	203129Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3016.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	964.7 KB 
ID:	203130Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3017.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	203131Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3018.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	203132Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3019.jpg 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	203133

16. The following members say thank you to cawhite78 for this post:

The photos tell their own story but an interesting instrument. The original top part of the tailpiece is German. Here is an explanation:
    "D.R.G.M., or sometimes DRGM, is not a German patent. It was instead a way for inventors to register a product's design or function in all states within Germany. From 1891 to 1952, products manufactured in Germany might have been stamped with this D.R.G.M."

Thanks for the extra photos.
    This was probably a pretty nice mandolin at one time.

In deep trouble now.

What's going on in Picture #5 (row 2, 2nd from left)?

Is the top lifting off? What is the goop on there?

I dig the carved head.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

It can of course be restored, anything can be, but that's a very significant challenge: the neck angle is terrible, and there's some old repair at the heal of the neck which may or may not be something nasty and hidden. Fretboard fixup is trivial IF the neck can be sorted. Top and all that mess that's holding it on is looking pretty nasty too. In terms of pure value, there's no way it's worth restoring, in terms of sentimental value, then maybe, if you have quite a few $$'s to spare.

Sure was a lovely mandolin at one time though!

Thanks for the extra photos.
    This was probably a pretty nice mandolin at one time.

In deep trouble now.

What's going on in Picture #5 (row 2, 2nd from left)?

Is the top lifting off? What is the goop on there?

I dig the carved head.

Mick
    I'm not sure. The top is lifted off and separated from the body. I'm unclear what the goop is and if it was something that was added to try to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    It can of course be restored, anything can be, but that's a very significant challenge: the neck angle is terrible, and there's some old repair at the heal of the neck which may or may not be something nasty and hidden. Fretboard fixup is trivial IF the neck can be sorted. Top and all that mess that's holding it on is looking pretty nasty too. In terms of pure value, there's no way it's worth restoring, in terms of sentimental value, then maybe, if you have quite a few $$'s to spare.

Sure was a lovely mandolin at one time though!
    I appreciate these insights. I tend to agree, that it may be too far gone. The sentimental value is there. Going to hang on to it, who knows maybe some day down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by cawhite78 View Post
    I appreciate these insights. I tend to agree, that it may be too far gone. The sentimental value is there. Going to hang on to it, who knows maybe some day down the road.
    If anyone could fix it, John—Tavy—would be the man.

Have you tried loosening / removing the strings?

Can the top be eased back into position with the strings off?

I’d be more concerned with the neck position right off than reseating the top.

It all looks so wonky with the top awry.

If the neck (miraculously) has rotated up, maybe some interim repairs to make it playable aren’t that far off.

Of course, if the neck is out of position, it may be even worse than starting over.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Great peghead -- looks like he/she is wearing headphones!

Quote Originally Posted by cawhite78 View Post
    Thanks all for the info thus far.

Here are some more pictures. Let me know what you guys think!

Name:	IMG_3008.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	868.3 KB 
ID:	203123
    Is this the "goop" picture? Looks like packing tape to keep the top or binding from falling off behind the couch.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Of course, if the neck is out of position, it may be even worse than starting over.
    Depends by what you mean by out of position: if it's actually come loose, then I would say that's a result: just glue it back in place to fix the issue, it's body distortion that's the hard one to deal with.

BTW while half of me thinks that one would be great fun to restore, half of me wants to run away screaming

Depends by what you mean by out of position: if it's actually come loose, then I would say that's a result: just glue it back in place to fix the issue, it's body distortion that's the hard one to deal with.

BTW while half of me thinks that one would be great fun to restore, half of me wants to run away screaming
    I tend to agree on the screaming bit. It may be too far gone.

As for the goop picture? I think at some point there may have been some tape trying to hold it together? It also looks like there is some tape on the fretboard.

It's the latter that I was referring to John.

I was just wondering how much the detached top was contributing to the overall troublesome geometry of the whole instrument and / or whether neck problems were associated with that or had issues of their own.

From the photos it doesn't appear as if the neck has come loose at the neck / bowl joint.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

It's the latter that I was referring to John.

I was just wondering how much the detached top was contributing to the overall troublesome geometry of the whole instrument and / or whether neck problems were associated with that or had issues of their own.

From the photos it doesn't appear as if the neck has come loose at the neck / bowl joint.

Mick
    Nod. In order for the neck to rotate forward something has to give, in this case it appears the top has separated from the rim and the body spread outwards at the sides allowing the neck to rotate forward. You would hopefully get back some of the geometry when putting it back together, but it tends to be very hard to get everything back to the original shape when it's been this way for a while. There would be no way to tell except pull the top and then see how it looks!

Nod. In order for the neck to rotate forward something has to give, in this case it appears the top has separated from the rim and the body spread outwards at the sides allowing the neck to rotate forward. You would hopefully get back some of the geometry when putting it back together, but it tends to be very hard to get everything back to the original shape when it's been this way for a while. There would be no way to tell except pull the top and then see how it looks!
    Ha!

John, I can see maybe more than half of you would be interested in tackle this repair.

I know I would.

The difference is that I know you would be able to fix it.

Mick

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road