Thread: Weber Bridger mandolin

Brighton on the sunny south coast of the UK

Default Weber Bridger mandolin

Hi all,

I'm looking online at a secondhand but very nice F-style Weber Bridger mandolin with the round(ish) soundhole. It looks gorgeous and is in very nice condition, but i can't find anythng about them. its obviously a discontinued model and I'm wondering where it fits in with Bruce's other models - Gallatin, Yellowstone etc. I'm thinking it would make a nice pair to my A-style Bitterroot. I'd go and have a look, but its a couple of hundred miles away from me. Four hundred miles round trip with fuel prices where they are to look at something that may not be what I hope it is doesn't hold much appeal! On the other hand, if its a good'un then the time and fuel will be a great investment.

One reason I'm slightly cautious is that to my knowledge Bruce named all his models after Montana rivers; Bitteroot, Gallatin, Yellowstone etc. I don't think there's a Bridger river in Montana; Google couldn't find one anywhere else either...

Help please, Hive mind!
    I always thought growing old would take longer...

Default Re: Weber Bridger mandolin

I see you mention a Bridger F, but in the 2009 Weber catalog the Bridger A was $2,999 so more than a $2299 Bitterroot A but less than a $3699 Bighorn A. I don't see an F Bridger that year. One MandoCafe Discussion of the Bridger changes here.

2009 Specs:
    Top: Hand Graduated and Tuned Solid Spruce
    Bracing: Hand Scalloped Spruce X Bracing
    Back/Ribs/Neck: Top Grade Flame
    Scale Length: 14 Inches
    Peghead Inlay: MOP
    Weber Logo and Knot Color: Natural
    Finish: Satin Nitrocellulose
    ---
    Bruce
    Fairview, TX

2021 Big Muddy MW-0 #3130 Engelmann Spruce / Walnut
    2022 Mia Mandolin F-Style "Rose & Dove" Spruce / Maple
    2018 Weber Gallatin A-14F Sitka Spruce / Maple
    Instagram

Can't help on the instrument, but the Bridger mountain range is in Montana
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridger_Range
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Bridger Creek is just outside of Bozeman. Nice little creek to fish.

I play a 2003 Bridger F by the way. Bought it when I lwas in Livingston which was just over the hill from Bruce and company at the time.

Love it.

Hey Derik

I recently acquired an '04 Bridger F-style. Thus far I am liking it very much! It is a lovely instrument that plays easily and has a somewhat unique sound to me. It is a nice, warm tone and projects very well. It is a very different sound than my A-4 and maybe more of a combination of oval hole and f hole. It has a decent chop for an oval hole. I also like the fact that the neck is much less chunky than my A-4.

I have not done so yet, but I know the previous owner of my Bridger called the builder and talked with him about the instrument. He also ordered a new Montana Lutherie bridge from Weber and installed it. It is my understanding Bruce Weber is always happy to talk about his instruments so that is an option for you as well.

Blog Entries

Jim Bridger was a scout / explorer / trapper / trader instrumental in opening up the Western third of the US to settlement (or invasion, depending on your perspective). As noted, there are plenty of landmarks, geographic features, and placenames out here named after him. My bet is that Bruce had the Bridger mountain range in mind.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

If I recall correctly the Bridger would've sat higher up the food chain on the Weber Mandolin ladder than the Gallatin and possibly even the Bitteroot as back in the day I coveted one but they were financially too far out of reach for me.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by Derik Palmer View Post
    Hi all,

I'm looking online at a secondhand but very nice F-style Weber Bridger mandolin with the round(ish) soundhole. It looks gorgeous and is in very nice condition, but i can't find anythng about them. its obviously a discontinued model and I'm wondering where it fits in with Bruce's other models - Gallatin, Yellowstone etc. I'm thinking it would make a nice pair to my A-style Bitterroot. I'd go and have a look, but its a couple of hundred miles away from me. Four hundred miles round trip with fuel prices where they are to look at something that may not be what I hope it is doesn't hold much appeal! On the other hand, if its a good'un then the time and fuel will be a great investment.

One reason I'm slightly cautious is that to my knowledge Bruce named all his models after Montana rivers; Bitteroot, Gallatin, Yellowstone etc. I don't think there's a Bridger river in Montana; Google couldn't find one anywhere else either...

Help please, Hive mind!
    I had an F style Bridger - it was a D hole with a Celtic knot on the head stock - cedar top and maple back and sides, the flame on the maple was absolutely beautiful. Lovely full round sound for Irish/Celtic/Folk playing - could chop too with the maple back but I didnt really use it for that.

I had it advertised here a couple of years ago, eventually sold it to a guy in Donegal here in Ireland. But I never came across one before or since and found it very hard to find info on them. Im trying to remember the year of manufacture - could be 2006 from memory.

Weber oval hole mandolins are the best they made in my opinion. Much better than F holes regardless of the model. We have an Absaroka that is killer good sounding.

I’m one of the lucky ones who has a Weber Bridger F with the “round(ish) sound hole” and it’s a really nice instrument (see below for those who are curious). Got it through the Cafe classifieds. It plays like a dream and has a really wonderful rich sound. Bruce makes some fine mandolins! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61DFBA99-D8D4-4784-A985-B17FB8F65DD5.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1,008.9 KB 
ID:	202629