Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nick's Front Porch Mandolin

Default Re: Nick's Front Porch Mandolin

I got pretty deep into old time music a few years back & wrote a bunch of tunes in that style. This is one & yes, it's named for the whiskey.

forty creek.mp3

2. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

Here's something with just me playing, a blues I wrote a while ago:

new blues in d.mp3

Here's another from my book old time of tunes, called "Down In Chapman's House" but I'm starting to wonder if should I keep doing this. I have many more tunes but most don't even get a reply. Should I take that as a "thumbs down"? Am I just embarrassing myself here? Feeling pretty unsure about having started this thread in the first place & wondering if should, as gracefully as I can, wind it down.

10 Track 10.mp3

5. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

I think you have a nice bunch of tunes. But, MandolinCafe is not that different from most "gear" sites, where lots of folks come here for reasons other than hear other people's music.

If you want people to hear your music, you might have better luck doing even SoundCloud links that you could share everywhere, or, probably more popular, just put up a video with a still picture for the entire thing on YouTube, and share that. The MP3 attachments may not be capturing the eye of casual post scanners, and that's the only way you get a click, maybe. The download step further disconnects the person from where you made the post, since they could possibly have listened, but in the meantime, moved on to some other post. ("It's all about eyeballs!" is a line I first heard from a guy from WB back when I was in a room where something was being pitched, and "those guys" wanted to know how we could insure a certain number of "eyeballs" on their content. I realize it was not just a TV-thing every time I'm scroll down an ad-filled page on every website I visit.)
    2018 Kentucky KM-950, 2017 Ellis A5 Deluxe

That's really good advice, thanks for it but it's not so much about wanting to have my tunes heard as it was just me thinking there might be some interest here. However, I take your point about "gear" sites & the similarities. As for sharing my music elsewhere, a lot of these recordings are pretty funky, sound-wise. I think if I were to take your advice, I'd like to have some better versions of them. Some are studio-quality but most are either from live shows or rehearsals.

I have been enjoying your tunes Nick. You have some great stuff.

Adam

9. The following members say thank you to addamr for this post:

Nice channel you've got there. That Northfield sounds great. Really pops.

11. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

Hey Nick, I think Keith pretty much nailed it. It's a fickled world. The MC accounts for about 3-4% of my YouTube views. But it's still my most important audience. And believe me that there really are people who listen and never comment. I get personal messages that comfirm this. So don't be discouraged, just do your thing. Your a player people can learn from.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankdolin For This Useful Post:

Another old time tune. This one's a bit crooked with an extra beat in bars 1 & 3 in the "A" part. Managed to lose the guitar player at the end:

Jump Up Sally.mp3

15. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by nick delmore View Post
    Here's another from my book old time of tunes, called "Down In Chapman's House" but I'm starting to wonder if should I keep doing this. I have many more tunes but most don't even get a reply. Should I take that as a "thumbs down"? Am I just embarrassing myself here? Feeling pretty unsure about having started this thread in the first place & wondering if should, as gracefully as I can, wind it down.

10 Track 10.mp3
    Nice tune and a robust arrangement.

I am more likely to mash the Thanks button (or Like on other sites) than make a detailed comment, since I usually don't have anything very consequential to add to the conversation. If I listen to something all the way through and like it, I do push the button, but time doesn't permit listening to every worthy offering.

Anyway, back to the point, I think it's definitely worth posting performances. My background is in science, and a project's not done unless it's published. Some publications get cited a lot by others, some not so much, but publication is a goal that spurs doing as well with the project as you can, and is a part of being a member of the community.

D.H.
    Last edited by Dave Hicks; Sep-04-2022 at 11:17am.

Thanks Dave. I appreciate the "robust" description. I probably put as much work into the arrangement as I did the tune. I was one time where I managed to record exactly what I was hearing in my head

18. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

lenf12 

Thanks Dave. I appreciate the "robust" description. I probably put as much work into the arrangement as I did the tune. I was one time where I managed to record exactly what I was hearing in my head
    It's very "big" sounding, but not too busy, and supports the melody well.

D.H.

20. The following members say thank you to Dave Hicks for this post:

That's really good advice, thanks for it but it's not so much about wanting to have my tunes heard as it was just me thinking there might be some interest here. However, I take your point about "gear" sites & the similarities. As for sharing my music elsewhere, a lot of these recordings are pretty funky, sound-wise. I think if I were to take your advice, I'd like to have some better versions of them. Some are studio-quality but most are either from live shows or rehearsals.
    I think your "goal" is fine. And I have never been concerned with quality of sound, but ony content. My favorite listening is "live", recorded or in person. Give me a choice between a polished perfect studio version, and a "live" one that is listenable, I choose "live".

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frankdolin For This Useful Post:

Hi Nick, keep it up because it's some of the more interesting "non-professional" original mandolin playing here on the MC. I dig it!!

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

24. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Here's another from my batch of old time tunes:

The Bent Mast.mp3

26. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

Here's one of mine in a medley with a couple of Grisman tunes off the "King Of The Gypsies" soundtrack. The solo by the vaguely guitar-like instrument is a vintage Gibson tenor lute.

05 Haripj Meg Engan.mp3

28. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

Here are two I wrote, in a medley. Ginny Gin & Cumberland Mtn.

Ginny Gin - Cumberland Mtn..mp3

30. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

Fine playing and very listenable tunes, Nick. Your recording techniques produce really good results.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Thankyou John, I appreciate the feedback. Some of this stuff was recorded in a proper studio, the rest is a mixed bag of rehearsals or live performances.

This is a relatively recent tune that I haven't had the chance to record with anyone. It's a bit odd in that the first bar has seven beats, the rest of the tune is in 4/4.

MB_Eleven.mp3

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nick delmore For This Useful Post:

This is another newer tune. I'm actually still working on it a bit. It's got a few tricky spots in it. This is the best version I have from my practice sessions:

MB_Far Away.mp3

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nick delmore For This Useful Post:

Here's another attempt at writing a goof oldtime tune. It's hard to come up with something that sounds authentic but not hackneyed.

Crow In The Old Pine Tree.mp3

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nick delmore For This Useful Post:

"goof" lol! Good, obviously. I'd love to hear any opinions on whether I'm hitting the mark or not.

Well the old time stuff doesn't seem to be generating much response so here's something completely different. This is a terrible recording, just someone in the front row with a recorder. Fortunately he was right in front of my special guest, the great Emory Lester. He plays the hot solo right after the banjo break. This is called "Funk It".

1 (46).mp3

41. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

Lucas 

Wow, not even a guest appearance from Emory Lester gets a response. Oh well, I can only hope some folks are listening. Here's another of my bluesy/funk stuff. This
    is called "Fat Chance". It's another live recording. I kind of whiffed the ending:

2 fat chance.mp3

43. The following members say thank you to nick delmore for this post:

Lucas