Thread: Changing tuners

Default Changing tuners

I have Grover 309 and I want to change them for Rubner (F style/Worm over) the one with the plate not like the waverly.

I have try to check from the specs sheet of each tuners and it seem it should fit but I'm wondering if somebody had made this change from grover to rubner and how everything align? From what I understand the screw will not align with the existing hole as the plate is shorter but except from that these tuners should fit or I missing something?

Default Re: Changing tuners

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Nugent View Post
    I have Grover 309 and I want to change them for Rubner (F style/Worm over) the one with the plate not like the waverly.

I have try to check from the specs sheet of each tuners and it seem it should fit but I'm wondering if somebody had made this change from grover to rubner and how everything align? From what I understand the screw will not align with the existing hole as the plate is shorter but except from that these tuners should fit or I missing something?
    Are the Grovers worm over?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Yes the Grover are also worm over and I would like to change them for Rubner worm over.

With the exception of some early and replica mandolins, one of the few things that is more-or-less standard on modern mandolins is tuner post size and spacing. Rubners should be a drop in replacement, except for the screw holes as you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    With the exception of some early and replica mandolins, one of the few things that is more-or-less standard on modern mandolins is tuner post size and spacing. Rubners should be a drop in replacement, except for the screw holes as you mentioned.
    Thanks for the confirmation!

The other thing is the diameter of the bushing itself. There are times when there is a difference in the size of the hole.. Sometimes you can leave the original bushing and not have any problems, sometimes you can't.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Charlie, I had a set of Rubners put on one of my mandolins a few months ago, I believe replacing Grovers. The Rubners are countersunk into the headstock, so a slight modification there. Also, being a product of German engineering, the tolerance on the Rubners is extremely tight. When the holes were drilled on my F they weren't absolutely perfectly lined up, so a bit of a problem there as well. My luthier was able to sort it out, and the new tuners are great.

I have changed out tuners for Rubners on a couple of mandolins. As mentioned, it’s pretty straight forward except I found Rubners seem to have a little collar at the base of the string shafts which I experienced a problem seating the tuners flush with the headstock back. I had to slightly expand the rear of the shaft hole to accommodate the collar.

Thanks Mike, Louise and Bob for your experience.

Yes, I made the same change and experienced the same issue as Bob so you'll need to ream the back of the peghead holes a bit. They are wonderful tuners.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rubner.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	273.9 KB 
ID:	202567

Thanks for the reply Rob. I have put my order and they should arrive probably next week I guess. We'll see from there the adjustment needed to fit them. I have read great reviews here about them so I'm excited to have them install.