Thread: An occasional lament: Calace and the lituo cantabile in recording

Default An occasional lament: Calace and the lituo cantabile in recording

I have fine recordings of many of Calace's liuto cantabile works performed by Calace himself, Giudice, Orlandi, Kisseljow, etc. Still wanted are recordings of Calace's 13° Preludio, op.148 and 3° Concerto, op.150. I believe Alex Timmerman shared word of a Japanese release of the concerto years ago, but I couldn't track it down for sale and have still never heard the work.

Once Calace's works entered public domain, his family made them all available. You thus have no excuses, players of liuto cantabile!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post:

Default Re: An occasional lament: Calace and the lituo cantabile in recor

"Still wanted are recordings of Calace's 13° Preludio, op.148"

Hi Eugene,

#13 is one of the most beautiful of the liuto preludes, IMHO. My liuto needs a fair amount of work at the moment before it is (readily) playable again but, as it happens, past experience is that #13 is one of the liuto preludes that can be adapted to mandola in G fairly easily -- which I just confirmed by playing through it (and re-familiaring myself w/the relevant fingerings) after my morning coffee. Likely to be a while, but I will put it on the agenda for a video.
    Robert A. Margo

4. The following members say thank you to margora for this post:

Eugene 

Default Re: An occasional lament: Calace and the lituo cantabile in recor

Quote Originally Posted by margora View Post
    #13 is one of the most beautiful of the liuto preludes, IMHO. My liuto needs a fair amount of work at the moment before it is (readily) playable again but, as it happens, past experience is that #13 is one of the liuto preludes that can be adapted to mandola in G fairly easily -- which I just confirmed by playing through it (and re-familiaring myself w/the relevant fingerings) after my morning coffee. Likely to be a while, but I will put it on the agenda for a video.
    Keen to hear your interpretation.