Page 1 of 37 1234526 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Since we have the Bowlback of Note thread alive and well, perhaps one of this nature is needed.

Here's one I just discovered...

Saturday, February 11, 2:00 p.m. Weill Rexcital Hall, New York City
    http://www.midamerica-music.com/weill_janfeb2006.htm

Quote Originally Posted by
    Ensemble "Russian Carnival"
    Tamara Volskaya, domra, mandolin, director
    Mayya Kalikhman, domra, alto-domra, mandolin, mandola
    Nataliya Vsevolodskaya, balalaika-alto, guitar
    Anatoliy Trofimov, bayan, mandola
    Leonid Bruk, balalaika-contrabass

Budashkin (arr. Trofimov): Concerto for Domra
    Sviridov (arr. Trofimov): "Old Romance" from Blizzard
    Glinka (arr. Trofimov): Kamarinskaya, Fantasy on two Russian folk tunes
    Schnittke (arr. Trofimov): Menuet and Fugue from The Suite In Old Style
    Paganini (arr. Trofimov): Carnival in Venice
    Rossini (arr. Trofimov): William Tell Overture (Excerpt)
    Clementi (arr. Jutzi): Rondo for Mandolin Ensemble
    Eileen Pakenham: Reverie
    Victor Kioulaphides: Toccata Scarlattiana (World Premiere)
    Munier: Bizzarria for mandolin and guitar
    Andrey Bizov: Gold Rush, suite in three movements based on the novels by Jack London
    Kalitka (Hidden Gate), Old Russian Romance (arr. Scheynkman)
    Two Freilakhs (arr. Trofimov)
    Anatoliy Trofimov: Gypsy Fantasy
    Looks like a world premiere of a work by the prolific Mr. Kioulaphides.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

2. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

It was Eugene`s idea to open such kind of a topic. It was called "Mandolin in recital/concert", if I recall it right. Unfortunately it didn`t last too long. I hope this one will have a better fortune.

Jim,

Wow, I absolutely have to make this one.
    When is Tamara performing in Yorktown?

Cheers,
    Mark

Mark Levesque and Judy Handler
    International and Classical Music
    http://www.judyandmark.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acousticblend
    The New American Mandolin Ensemble on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4L...uROoOXFj6GVSg/

Blog Entries

Caterina Lichtenberg is doing a tour in Chile and Argentina.... tonigth I will see her in concert at Viña del mar's Palacio rioja....

Lucho,

That is great news, I wish I was there.
    Please give us a full report of the performance!
    Buy any of her CDs that you can, they are all wonderful.

Well, maybe not "of note", but this may be an opportune place to mention an upcoming concert by our little ensemble, the Wirral Mandoliers. I don't have all the details yet, and will post an update when I do have the handbills that are currently being prepared. We will play on Thursday, 13th October, at Knowsley Village Church (just outside Liverpool, UK). Admission £5. Not sure yet about starting time, but I believe 7:30pm. It'll be a joint concert with a local vocal ensemble and we will play four pieces together. I wasn't sure how a vocal/mandolin combination would work, but the rehearsals have been surprisingly smooth -- let's see about the concert. In addition, we will play about five pieces on our own and the vocalists will sing about the same number without us and with a pianist. There'll also be a guest solo vocalist about whom I know nothing: we'll not play together.

The repertoire is quite varied (I don't want to give too much away), but is probably best described as "light classical with some folkloristic touches". Nothing particularly virtuoso, but good fun and interesting arrangements. Certainly good fun to play; hopefully also good fun to listen to. We're still deciding on some options for the playlist, but it looks like we'll have pieces by Chopin, Offenbach and Dvorak.

If you're in or around Liverpool, come by and have a look (and say hello afterwards)!

Martin

Yeah, I had tried to maintain a little thread that I'd called something like that to which Plamen refered, but it didn't last. Ah well...

My little mandolin-guitar/mandolin-mandolin/guitar-guitar duo, Gruviera Armonico will play at "A Classical Affair," 20 November 2005 at Tuttle Mall, Columbus, OH. The event starts at 6:30, but our stage time starts at 9 pm. I'm not sure, but I might opt to split stage time between Gruviera Armonico and Flute Cocktail with whom I play mostly guitar. The event is sponsored by Ohio Citizens for the Arts. We are performing to promote the concert series of the Columbus Guitar Society.

Down from the mandometropolis of Milwaukee, Stas Venglevski (bayan/accordion) and Mikhail Litvin (mandolin) will be performing on the City Music Columbus chamber music series 4 December 2005, 2 pm at the Elevator Brewery and Draught Haus, Columbus, OH. That should be stellar good fun.

I will be playing just a little bit of mandolin, rather simple little accompaniment bits I've concocted, at three holiday concerts with The Magpie Consort: 9, 10, and 14 December 2005. Most of what I do with them will be on guitar...but I did manage to weasel a little mandolin into the mix. See their web site for detail.

I want to have something like this on the CMSA site but until we can get that together, this will suffice.

Keeps us going that mandolin playing is alive and well.

Tamara is scheduled for the library in Yorktown Heights, NY for Sunday, June 4, 2006. The main problem is that Carlo Aonzo will have his workshop that same weekend. I mentioned that to Tamara. I have to see whether she can swtich that to another date.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Bravo, Jim! Yes, I heartily applaud such a thread as this.

Tamara's (February) performance is the one I referenced in my old thread titled "How do you get (to Carnegie Hall)"; my modest contribution to her program is the 3-minute-long Toccata Scarlattiana.

By curious coincidence: I liked this little tune; furnished with a mandola and mandocello part, it "mutated" into the last movement of my Quartetto Nº 1—#hey, if "borrowing from oneself" is good enough for Bach and Handel, it sure is good enough for me!

By a curious ricochet, Carlo picked this particular movement as part of the material for his New York Workshop. Hmmm... lots and lots of mileage, this Toccata!

Said workshop will be SUPER-intense this time around, with THREE days of mandolin orchestra coachings! WOW!

Jim... I can hope to see you there, right? Others?

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Quote Originally Posted by (vkioulaphides @ Oct. 09 2005, 13:02)
    Jim... I can hope to see you there, right? Others?
    I will almost 100% be there... I am addicted to Carlo workshops and have not missed one in NY yet.

I am trying to convince a few others here to attend, tho I also hope to get Tamara and the library person to swtich dates so I can have her do a workshop up near me before that concert.

When it rains it pours mandolins.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

The Dayton Mandolin Orchestra will be performing twice in the month of October '05, first at Forest Park United Methodist Church in NW Cincinnati at 4 PM Sunday 23 Oct 2005; and at the University of Dayton, Dayton OH, at 7:30 PM Saturday 29 Oct 2005. We also have our full 2005-2006 performance calendar online at the website for easy reference.

Hope to see as many as possible!

-Allen.
    Dayton Mandolin Orchestra: http://DaytonMandolin.net/
    Midwest Mandolin Quartet: http://DaytonMandolin.net/MMQ/

Quote Originally Posted by (martinjonas @ Oct. 08 2005, 18:37)
    I don't have all the details yet, and will post an update when I do have the handbills that are currently being prepared.
    Well, we've just had our final rehearsal and have finalised (I hope) the programme for this concert. As promised, here are full details:

Wirral Mandoliers & St. Helens Ladies Choir
    Knowsley Parish Church, Merseyside
    Thursday, 13th October, 7:30pm
    Admission: £5

Our programme is going to be (probably):
    (*) joint with choir

Joh. B. Kok: Avanti
    Santa Lucia
    Fairings (*)
    Jacques Offenbach: Barcarolle (from Tales of Hoffmann) (*)
    Joh. B. Kok: Gamine
    Anton Dvorak: Humoresque
    Sebastian Yradier: La Paloma
    Richard Rogers: Edelweiss (*)
    Frederic Chopin: So Deep Is The Night (*)
    Eduardo di Capua: O Sole Mio
    Jay Ungar: Ashokan Farewell

Martin

I have one coming up

I'll be playing The Gaudioso (a.k.a Caudioso) Mandolin Concerto at the Mannes Guitar Ensemble Concert in New York:

Adam Tully, Mandolin
    Danilo Bonina, Violin
    Christiana Liberis, Violin
    Paul Smith, Guitar (Continuo)

Friday December 16th, 2005
    8pm

Guitar Ensemble Concert--Terry Champlin, director

MANNES COLLEGE #The New School FOR MUSIC
    150 West 85th Street, New York, New York 10024 (212) 580-0210
    FREE

http://www.mannes.edu/college....i=37023

There should be some other interesting things on the program: a Terry Champlain guitar and string quintet, some Giuliani guitar and violin, Hovhannes guitar and harp, etc.

Adam,
    That is one that might be possible for me to attend. Maybe we can get a crew of us folks in the NY area to fill some seats. Sounds like fun.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Oh, I would love to attend, too! The only reason I cannot promise I will is that there is always a good chance that I myself may be working that evening. If not, Adam... I'll be there! #

It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Victor:
    LMK if you are going. We can meet for a bite before, possibly.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

What a good idea for a thread!
    It's great to know where everyone is located so that I can look for your concerts when we are traveling.

Martin, That sounds like an interesting combining of ensembles. I'll bet it sounds wonderful. (You should record a piece or 2 for us!)

Adam, that is really my kind of concert, I may drive the 2 1/2 hours from CT if we are free (and perhaps, get to hear a Pandini on the way?. )

We are performing a duo show in Brooklyn:

Sunday, October 23, 2005, 3-5 p.m.
    THE BROOKLYN MUSEUM
    Music in the Galleries
    Hall of the Americas, first floor
    Brooklyn, NY
    www.brooklynmuseum.org

We ARE working on having more classical mandolin/guitar pieces in our sets in the coming year, although I don't think I am going to be ready to play a sonata in the next 10 days.

Mark:
    I must check my schedule and see if I can make it down to Brooklyn on the 23rd. And, of course, it would also be great to meet beofre or at Adam's show.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Mark: Thanks for the comment. We had our concert last night and it went pretty well. Pretty good turnout, probably around 100. Playing in a church is cheating a bit in that respect: one is pretty much guaranteed that the congregation will show up. Still, more fun playing to a full venue than an empty one and the acoustics of the church were wonderful.

All went pretty smoothly. I played my share of bum notes, but hope that they didn't stand out too prominently -- the audience seemed to enjoy themselves. The pieces with the choir went very well considering we had only rehearsed twice together. Some timing issues on the coda to Barcarolle, but nothing dramatic I think. The Chopin piece went much better than in either rehearsal.

The concert was recorded by the church on what looked like fairly decent equipment. I'll try to get a copy of the recording and will see if I can put a few tracks up somewhere (not "O Sole Mio", though, where I confidently launched into the chorus when everybody else was playing the verse...). I'm keen to listen to the recording myself, as it's very difficult for us to gauge precisely what the tonal balance out front is.

I've survived my first ever concert, anyway...

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by (martinjonas @ Oct. 14 2005, 06:01)
    We had our concert last night and it went pretty well.
    Martin:
    I am curious... which mandolin(s) out of your wonderful collection made the for the concert, which one was the one of choice?

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Jim: the double-topped Ceccherini. The Vinaccia is developing nicely and has an intriguing complex tone, but doesn't (yet?) have the clarity, volume or projection of the Ceccherini (although the Vinaccia's intonation is more spot-on, because of the compensated saddle and the new fretboard). With the Ceccherini, when the crescendo comes in on the treble courses, you can feel the mandolin soaring and filling the entire space of the church with this wonderful reverberating sound. It's a most intoxicating feeling!

Martin

Here's a little info about something I'm playing on this Friday in Milwaukee. The program includes Scarlatti's Sonate K81, Calace's Danza Spagnola, the premiere of Jorge Morel's Rapsodia Latina (trio for mandolin, guitar and cello) and an arrangement of Andres Allen's Danzon Legrand for mando,two guitars and cello as well as two guitar duets and De Falla's Seven Spanish Dances performed on guitar and cello:

UWM Peck School of the Arts Presents

Classical Guitarist Rene Izquierdo & Friends

Rene Izquierdo, guitar
    Elina Chekan, guitar
    Linda Binder, mandolin
    Ana Ruth Bermudez, cello

In a concert of Chamber Music for Guitars, Mandolin and Cello

Friday October 28th, 2005 7:30 PM in the UWM Peck School of the Arts Recital Hall, 2400 E. Kenwood Blvd. Milwaukee, WI
    Tickets: 414-229-4308 $10/$7 students & seniors

In case any of you find yourselves in that neighborhood (unfortunately, I won't be)... This is the first I've heard of a performance of the Sammartini in modern times. I can't even imagine attempting this tuned in fifths without gross modification.
    Quote Originally Posted by
    mercoledì, 16 novembre 2005, ore 21

MONASTERO DI SANTA CHIARA

IL MANDOLINO

ALLE CORTI EUROPEE NEL ?700

Arcangelo Corelli (1653 ? 1713)
    Sonata X in fa maggiore
    Preludio ? Allemanda ? Sarabanda ? Gavotta ? Giga

Carlo Arrigoni Bologna (1697 ? 1744)
    Sonata in re Maggiore per mandolino e b. c.
    Grave - Allegro ? Grave, Adagio ? Allegro

Francesco Piccone Roma (I metà sec. XVIII)
    Sinfonia in re minore
    Allegro ? Largo ? Giga - Minuet

Giovanni Battista Sammartini Bologna (1701-1775)
    Sonata in sol maggiore
    Allegro ? Andantino (sentito, con grazia)
    Tempo di Minuetto (grazioso)

Emanuele Barbella Napoli (1718 ? 1777)
    Sonata in re maggiore
    Largo ? Allegro ? Fugato
    Andantino alla Francese ? Gavotta

Antonio Riggieri Parigi (II metà sec. XVIII)
    Tema con Variazioni in sol minore ?La Fustemberg?
    mandolino solo

Giovanni Battista Gervasio Napoli (II metà sec. XVIII)
    Sonata N. 1 in re maggiore
    Allegro ? Largo Amoroso ? Taice alla Tedesca

CARLO AONZO
    mandolino

ELENA BUTTIERO
    spinetta

Carlo Aonzo, concertista di fama internazionale, effettua regolarmente tourné in Italia, Europa e Stati Uniti collaborando con vari Enti inclusa l?Orchestra del Teatro Carlo Felice di Genova, La Filarmonica del Teatro alla Scala di Milano, la Nashville Chamber Orchestra, il Metropolitan Museum di New York. Recentemente ha collaborato con il Teatro Lirico di Cagliari eseguendo il Don Giovanni con il basso Ruggiero Raimondi.

Dal 1998 ha fondato e dirige l?Orchestra a Pizzico Ligure con la quale si è esibito per Papa Giovanni Paolo II e ha prodotto l?album dedicato ai concerti di A. Vivaldi eseguiti per la prima volta con un?orchestra a pizzico che ha ottenuto un grande riscontro della critica specializzata.

Ha registrato le composizioni per mandolino di Nicolò Paganini per la prima volta eseguite con lo strumento originale: il mandolino genovese (Integrale per Amandorlino & Chitarra Francese, Arion); per la americana Mel Bay, ha registrato un concerto-video sulla storia del repertorio per mandolino solo (Carlo Aonzo: Classical Mandolin Virtuoso); con il chitarrista Beppe Gambetta il progetto discografico ?Serenata? sulla musica dei virtuosi italiani delle corde e insieme a David Grisman l?album ?Traversata? dedicato alla musica italiana ?emigrata? nelle americhe.

Svolge attività didattica a New York (corso annuale a partecipazione internazionale) e al Polo Musicale Savonese.

Come ricercatore si occupa delle origini e storia del proprio strumento, ha collaborato con il New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians ed ha curato l?edizione di brani originali per mandolino da lui ritrovati (Bèrben).

Frequentemente tiene conferenze sulla storia del proprio strumento.

Elena Buttiero, si è diplomata in pianoforte presso il Conservatorio di Cuneo, ed ha seguito i corsi di perfezionamento tenuti da Christopher Hainsworth, Graziella Rivara ed Eros Cassardo.

Premiata ai concorsi di Osimo, Stresa e Genova, ha tenuto concerti in molte città italiane (Roma, Milano, Firenze, Pistoia, Venezia, Genova, Bologna, Cremona, Verona, Trento, Ferrara, Trieste, Ancona, Teramo, Campobasso, Potenza, Oristano, Sassari, ecc.), in Francia (Parigi, Lione, ecc.), Svizzera (Lugano, Neuchatel, Bellinzona), Germania (Bonn, Colonia, Hildesheim, Goslar, Meinz, ecc.), e Irlanda (Dublino, Ennnis, Caherciveen, ecc.).

Ha registrato programmi per la Rai, la Radio della Svizzera Italiana, Radio Capodistria, la Radio nazionale tedesca WDR, la Radio nazionale irlandese, Radio Kerry e la Radio nazionale norvegese.

Ha effettuato incisioni discografiche distribuite in Europa e in Giappone.

Dal 1990 è docente di pianoforte presso la Scuola Media ad Indirizzo Musicale di Savona.

Quote Originally Posted by (Eugene @ Nov. 11 2005, 16:44)
    I can't even imagine attempting this tuned in fifths without gross modification.
    Is it possible that he is playing a historically correct mandolino? Do you have a web site for this info, BTW?

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: