Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Default Re: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Sorry I missed that one but thanks for the eyewitness 9really earwitness) report, Victor.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hi all,

I like to point out that the Dutch Mandolin Piano Duo Sebastiaan de Grebber and Eva van den Dool are giving a concert in the Cultureel Centrum in Heerde (The netherlands).

More info can be found here:

http://www.cultureelcentrumheerde.nl...stelling_ID=68

Best,

Alex.

Interesting concert coming up next week, Carnegie Hall is hosting a workshop for vocal composers led by Dawn Upshaw and Donnacha Dennehy, with performances at LaGuardia PAC on the 16th and at Zankel Hall (the recital space at Carnegie) on the 17th. Best part is they're using the Weill Foundation 'house band' as the ensemble, so I get to play in it, and Bridget will be there as well as a lot of my friends from Carnegie MC, Ensemble ACJW, ICE, and Argento. I'm a huge fan of both Dawn and Donnacha, and the new works look amazing so far. If you're interested in checking out the concert at Zankel (I think the LaG PAC one is invite-only) go here:

http://www.carnegiehall.org/article/...11_upshaw.html

2 free tickets to the concert listed just above to the first person to email me --

Warning: may contain modern music content.

Hello all,
    We will be giving a free concert for the Boston Classical Guitar Society's "Saturday Sounds Special" series at the Hingham Public Library on Saturday afternoon, 3 PM, April 23rd. The first half of the program will be classical guitar duos, but the second half of the program will feature our mandolin and guitar duets, including the US Premiere of our own Victor Kioulaphides' "Sonata Marittima" which he wrote for the Danish mandolinist Tove Fensborg. The piece has to date been only performed twice to the best of our knowledge; once by Ms. Flensborg, and again by the young maestro Ferdinand Binnendijk.

For more info on the concert see: http://www.hinghamlibrary.org/SundaySSFlyer210-11.pdf

Here is the program:

BCGS Sunday Sounds Special Series presents

International intrigue!*
    Romance and mysteries for guitars and mandolin
    Mark and Beverly Davis

The Hingham Public Library
    April 23, 2011, 3:00 PM

Sonata XII in A Domenico Cimarosa (1749-1801)
    Sonata XXII in D minor
    Sonata in A minor Antonio Soler (1729-1783)

What I Saw in Your Eyes Maria Linnemann

Clair obscur Roland Dyens
    Il funghetto

The Lass of Patey’s Mill Trad. British Isles, arr. Edward Flower

Sanzen-In Andrew York

Sonata Marittima for guitar and mandolin [USA Premiere performance] Victor Kioulaphides
    Storm at Sea
    The Docks at Night
    Sailor’s Dance

Tutta pe’ me, love song from Ischia Fiore/Lama, arr. Luca Iacone

Souline; vals musette Malto Ferret

Hymn; Page 911 Peter Ostroushko, arr. M. Davis

Vibracoes Jacob do Bandolim
    *Music from: Italy, Spain, the Netherlands, France, the British Isles, USA, Greece, Italy, and Brazil

ABOUT THE DUO
    Mark and Beverly Davis have performed together as a duo since 2001; recent concert tours have taken them to Eurofestival 2010 (Germany), Festival Ciudad de Cristal (Spain) and the Sydney FAME Festival (Australia). In July 2008 they performed the premiere of John Craton’s “Bloemen von Spanje” in Zwolle (The Netherlands) with Het Consort directed by Alex Timmerman.

The duo has been praised for the intensity of their performances and their ability to communicate with audiences. Drawing from the large international repertoire for two guitars by contemporary composers such as Andrew York, Maria Linnemann, Ed Flower, and Roland Dyens, Mark and Beverly Davis chose their pieces based on the qualities of musical interest, dialogue and emotional depth. Their first CD “Ayres and Dances for Two Guitars’ was a Motif Magazine nominee for ‘Best Local CD of the Year.’ Most recently they have added original pieces for mandolin and guitar to their repertoire from contemporary composers such as Victor Kioulaphides and Peter Ostroushko.

Mark Davis is recognized as a leader in the field of plucked string music, known equally for his work as a guitarist, mandolinist, conductor and educator. He is the music director of the Providence Mandolin Orchestra, and also plays lead guitar in the popular soul/R&B band Big Jump. Beverly Davis studied the classical guitar with Reed Desrosier at Keene State College, and also performs with the Providence Mandolin Orchestra.

The Duo lives in the rural quietude of north-eastern Connecticut where they practice their music and run a “guitar-centric” chamber music series in their home (North Meadow House Concerts).

DUO WEBSITE
    http://www.myspace.com/markandbeverlydavis

Not sure if it will be "of note", but our ensemble, the Wirral Mandoliers, have been invited to play a free performance at the Wallasey Central Library this Saturday, 16 April, at 3:30pm to 4:30pm. See also the library web site:

Link

I should say that we didn't write the blurb saying: "Listen to light Italian-style soft background music whilst browsing in Wallasey Central Library’s beautiful setting." Not sure it will be all that soft, or background -- readers browsing the shelves may find a mandolin ensemble slightly distracting. We're still finalising the set list, but we're pretty sure it will include Victor's Ionian Mandolinata as well as various Italian waltzes and mazurkas, and probably also some swing to liven things up.

Martin

Oh, ANY concert by a group sporting such a poetic term as "Mandoliers" is of note, as far as I'm concerned.

As for softness, I don't mind sharing this anecdote with you: we (the NY Mandolin Ensemble) once played at a Chinese art-gallery/museum in the advent of the Beijing Olympics. It was (unsurprisingly) packed. Now... *ahem*... I had NO idea just how, ah... ~resonant~ spoken Mandarin can be, with a gazillion people packed in one, open space.

At the end, several attendees came up to compliment us on our playing, praising us for having been so "delicate", and "elegant" (etc., etc.), and having thereby allowed the art-show to go on without distraction. The (rather harsh) truth of the matter is that we had been HACKING on our instruments with all our might, just to be heard at all. Softness, apparently, is in the ear of the listener...

But your venue IS a library, after all, and that connotes at least some lower-decibel environment...

Best of luck!

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra is pleased to present its latest concert:

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra
    Mark Davis, Director
    With special guest artists, Duo Galluci-Pilato
    Goff Hall
    124 Bay State Road, Rehoboth MA
    Saturday, April 30, 8 PM

Grooves 1 & 2 Owen Hartford

A Day at the Circus Richard Charlton
    Under the Big Top-Clowns-
    Flying-Bareback Riders

Garoto (choro) Antonio Carlos Jobim (1927-1994)
    (arr. R. A. Margo)

East-West Stephen Lalor

(Pause)

Adios Nonino Astor Piazzolla (1921-1992)

Tutta pe’ me Fiore-Lama
    (arr. L. Iacono)

Vibraçoes Jacob do Bandolim (1918-1969)

Ron y Cola Luca Iacono

Elegia Raffaele Calace (1863-1934)

Invierno Porteno Astor Piazzolla

Isola Verde De Angelis-De Mura,
    (arr. L. Iacono)

Serenata Luca Iacono

Largo Mesto (from Concerto No. 2) Raffaele Calace

Meu Chorinho J. Silva

Fabio Gallucci, mandolin
    Antonio Pilato, guitar

(Pause)

Variazioni sul basso di Tarantella Antonello Paliotti
    Adagio – Allegro

Duo Gallucci-Pilato with the Providence Mandolin Orchestra

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra is pleased to present its latest concert, in collaboration with the exciting new mandolin-guitar duo from Italy, Duo Gallucci-Pilato. The concert begins with a selection of pieces from the PMO’s recent repertoire, including original works for mandolin ensemble by the PMO’s own Owen Hartford, Australian composers Richard Charlton and Stephen Lalor, and an arrangement of a beautiful choro by the Brazilian composer Antonio Carlos-Jobim. The Duo’s segment of the program draws on their spectacular 2009 CD, “Dal Vesuvio all’America Latina” featuring an eclectic selection of modern Latin American works from the fiery tangos of Astor Piazzolla to the sultry and sensuous Brazilian swing of Jacob de Bandolim alongside classic Italian mandolin compositions of Rafaele Calace. The concert closes with a joint PMO-Duo performance of a tarantella by Antonio Paliotti.

Born in Naples, Italy in 1980, Fabio Gallucci received his diploma in mandolin studies from the Naples Conservatory where he also studied baroque music. A founding member of the Duo Galluci-Pilato and of the Nov’Mandolin ensemble, he has performed widely in Italy, France, England, and elsewhere in Western Europe.

Born in Ischia, Italy in 1976 Antonio Pilato studied guitar at the conservatory of Benevento and later with Aniello Desiderio, along with composition at the Conservatory of St. Cecilia in Rome. A founding member of the Duo Galluci-Pilato, Pilato has performed widely in Spain, Italy, and Western Europe.

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra was founded by the late Hibbard Perry in 1971. Since then, it has become one of the leading American mandolin ensembles, with regular appearances throughout the eastern United States, Canada, and Western Europe. The orchestra is under the direction of Mark M. Davis. Mr. Davis pursues an active career as a solo and ensemble performer, educator, and conductor.

Director: Mark M. Davis
    First Mandolin: Joshua Bell (concertmaster), Michael Cappelli, Yvette Cote, Duane Golumb, Chang Lee
    Second Mandolin: Lynne Bell, Antonio Carylon, Christine Chito, Owen Hartford, Paul Wilde
    Mandola: Mark Chuoke, Mack Johnston, Robert Margo, Gayle Raposa
    Mandocello: Dan Moore, Matt Synder
    Classical Guitar: Beverly Davis, John Dennewitz, Sylvie Harris, Michael Hession
    Robert A. Margo

Gave the west coast premiere of David Bruce's The North Wind Was a Woman with Art of Elan on the 3rd, the review is here and you can listen to the whole piece, along with the rest of the concert, here. Some really nice mandolin solos in the 3rd and 4th movements.

In other news, Chris and I finally got a chance to pit our Brian Deans against each other
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic 278.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	71771  

Hello all,

For all our viewers and members in England, here is a nice concert to visit:

================================================== =======

Concert on Sunday the 22nd May 2011 at 7.00pm (6.00 - 6.40 VIP Reception)

North London Colourstrings Summer Festival

at

Hampstead Garden Suburb Free Church
    Central Square
    Hampstead Garden Suburb
    London NW11 7AG

I Maestri Orchestra conducted by George Hlawiczka

Programme:

J.S. BACH - Concerto for Violin and Oboe
    GERSHWIN - Porgy and Bess
    JULIAN DAWES - Concerto for Mandolin and String Orchestra (UK Première)
    BENJAMIN BRITTEN - Simple Symphony
    BRAHMS - Hungarian Dances

Soloists:

George Hlawiczka- Violin
    Melanie Rothman - Oboe
    Alon Sariel - Mandolin
    Sarah Aaronson - Accordian

I Maestri Orchestra conducted by George Hlawiczka

Tickets: £15, £10, (VIP £35)

Booking (in the UK): 020 8444 9435
    www.nlcolourstrings.co.uk
    Or At The Door

======================================

Best greetings,

Alex.

Name:	alon 2.bmp 
Views:	163 
Size:	322.4 KB 
ID:	71784  

Just a reminder that our concert in Williamsburg, VA is coming up this Friday evening. Hope to see fellow habitues of the Mandolin Cafe there.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasley View Post
    The Hampton Roads Mandolin Ensemble will be performing at the Williamsburg Regional Library theater, Friday evening May 20, 2011. The library is located at 515 Scotland St., Williamsburg, VA. The concert starts at 7:30pm, doors open at 7:00 pm. There is no admission charge.
    John Kasley
    Williamsburg, VA

I would like to add that the Edinburgh Mandolin and Guitar Orchestra (EMGO) are performing at Innerpeffray Chapel (http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...pel/index.html ) near Crieff on Sunday afternoon. The origins of the chapel date from 1365, and the concert is preceded by an introduction to the adjacent ancient library (3.30pm to 4.00pm) which was founded by David Drummond, the 3rd Lord Madertie, in 1680, when he made 400 of his family books available to the public (see http://www.innerpeffraylibrary.co.uk ). Being Scotland this is followed by afternoon tea (4.00pm-4.30pm), and then the concert commences at 4.30pm. The orchestra and ensembles will be playing a wide range of music, from Renaissance and Baroque pieces, to Mozart and Hadjidakis, through to recently inspired compositions, including ‘Memories of Alison’ by Nigel Gatherer.

On June 4 I'll be giving the world premiere of a piece by John Eaton called Elegy for Jane which was originally written for Dimitris Marinos years ago, but never performed after he moved back to Greece. The performance will be at Symphony Space at 7:30. For more information, go to http://www.symphonyspace.org/event/6...orld-premieres.

Thanks to the instant login provided by Facebook I can post easily some news to the Mandolincafe, I have been an avid reader for some years now and wanted to share some information.

On Tuesday 28th of June Het Vers Ensemble will perform the premiere of Arend Gerds his new work Elegos written for mandolin, guitar, flute, 2 french horns, trombone, tuba, violin I, violin II and cello. The mandolinpart will be performed by Ferdinand Binnendijk.

The concert where the work is premiered is Arend his Bachelor Final Exam in Composition. The location is Doopsgezinde Kerk in Zwolle, the Netherlands and the concert starts at 20.30.

...and although it is still some time ahead of us, the 7th of october Het Vers Ensemble will perform the complete Guitar Concierto by cafemember Victor Kioulaphides and also some other mandorelated works during the yearly festival evening of Het Vers Ensemble. I`ll keep you all posted.

Welcome among the "active" members of the Café, Tom. All your projects sound FABULOUSLY exciting! Please keep us posted.

Cheers,

Victor

Great work Tom!

Hi all,

The Dutch Mandolin Piano Duo Sebastiaan de Grebber and Eva van den Dool will give a concert at the Cenedese Museum in Italy on next Sunday, Juny 26th at 18:00 hours. Other mandolin related ensembles will also perform this same weekend. For more information please follow this link: http://www.federmandolino.it/htm/vittorioveneto2011.htm

Best from Holland,

Alex.

Photo: Eva & Sebastiaan

Name:	Eva & Sebastiaan.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	73596  

Hi all,

If you happen to be in the area of Sicily (Italy) you are welcome to see us perform two concerts at the 1st Plectrum Orchestra Festival of Taormina.

We, The Dutch Mandolin Chamber Orchestra Het CONSORT, will concertise during the opening concert of the 1st Festival Internazionale Orchetre a plettro a Taormina, Sicily, Italia on July 24th. This concert will take place in the Ancient Teatro Greco in Taormina, starting at 21.30 hours.

On July 25th Het CONSORT will give an evening concert with the mandolin soloists SEBASTIAAN DE GREBBER and FERDINAND BINNENDIJK. The concert will take place on the 25th of July, starting at 21.00 hours in the Vïlla Comunale (the Public Gardens) of Taormina.

Best greetings,

Alex.

http://www.orchestraaplettro.it/het_cononsort.html

Name:	Griekse Theater te Taormina.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	74483   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAA Het CONSORT.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	74484  

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Timmerman View Post
    If you happen to be in the area of Sicily...
    Only with my heart and mind...

Il greco meno antico.

Cheers,

Victor

Thanks Victor,

At our 2nd concert during 1º Festival Internazionale Orchestre a plettro Taormina, July 25th, we will do the Italian première of your wonderful 'Sinfonia a pizzico' (Overture: Allegro brillante – Canzonetta: Andante con moto – Scherzo: Presto assai – Finale: Allegro assai).

And we will for the 1st time perform your arrangement of the 'Cantique de Jean Racine', Op.11 by Gabriel Fauré as well!

Cheers and many greetings,

Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Timmerman View Post
    And we will for the 1st time perform your arrangement of the 'Cantique de Jean Racine', Op.11 by Gabriel Fauré as well!
    How exciting! Even though of course I did not compose this myself but only arranged it, Fauré's original score gets as close to the true meaning of "sublime" as anything ever written. I am sure Het Consort will do a FABULOUS job with it!

Cheers,

Victor

For the "public record", so to speak:

When I first made that arrangement, Alex was of course aware that I was working on it; he was not, however, aware that I meant it for him, for Het Consort. So it was a bit of a surprise, I suppose, when he received the score and parts. He reciprocated with an informal video of the first reading— for my eyes (and ears) only, of course, as it was not the "final product".

For as "unfinished" as that first reading sounded, it was still WONDERFUL! Alex and the musicians of Het Consort had already gotten "under the skin" of this magnificent score. When the tremolo first came in over the velvety undulations of the guitars, hushed, subtle, in the lowest register, I could *hear* the mystical, sublime words of Racine, "nous rompons le silence", even though of course no words were actually sung.

And that, IMHO, is what it's all about. It's not how many notes you play; it's what comes across that counts.

So, needless to say, I will surely delight in hearing the "finished", rehearsed performance(s) in due time.

Cheers,

Victor

ooo...can't wait to see/hear a video of this performance!
    KristinEliza

Facebook

CONSORT greetings to you all from Taormina, Sicily, Italy.

Best, Alex.

Name:	Het CONSORT in the Ancient Greek Theater of Taormina.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	74897  

Edinburgh Festival Fringe 2011: Music/Classical/Workshop

Mandolinist Frances Taylor presents a

Georgian Mandolin Workshop
    and
    Georgian Mandolin Sonatas

Frances Taylor heads up a unique and amazing opportunity for amateur mandolin players to experience playing 18th century music in Georgian surroundings accompanied by professional musicians from the Scottish Chamber Orchestra.

Participants will have the chance to play original music for the mandolin in St Cecilia’s Hall, distinguished as the second concert hall to be built in the UK during the Georgian era.

Places for the workshop are limited to 20 but non-participants are welcome to listen free of charge. Plucked stringed instruments including mandolins are also on show at the adjoining museum for free on the same afternoon.

The mandolin day concludes with a recital of Georgian Mandolin Sonatas performed by Frances Taylor and accompanied by harpsichordist Jan Waterfield and cellist Su-a Lee from the SCO.

The Georgian mandolin extravaganza marks the launching of Taylor’s Georgian Mandolin Project in which she travels the length and breadth of Britain to play 18th century music in the Georgian buildings it was originally written for. Visiting Georgian properties she will play her copy of a 1772 Antonio Vinaccia mandolin previously displayed at the Victoria and Albert Museum, and will wear a blue silk Regency dress created by award winning costume designer Andrea Galer.

Frances Taylor has already recorded some 18th century repertoire on her well- received CD Italian Mandolin Sonatas.

‘…an utterly delightful record…quite brilliantly played…A splendid disc.’
    Musical Opinion

For further information, interview and photo requests please contact Frances Taylor, 020 8989 7591, mobile 07951 021640 or mail@taylor-mandolin.com

Booking Information
    Venue: St Cecilia’s Hall
    Date: Aug 6
    Time: Workshop 13:00 (1 hour), Concert 16:00 (1hour)
    Tickets: Workshop £10 (£8), Concert £10 (£8)
    Box Office: 0130 651 1292
    Regards,
    Henry