Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3456789101132 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Concerts of Note

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra is pleased to announce the following concert, with special guest artist Robert Paul Sullivan:

June 17, 2006, 8 P.M.
    First Parish Church
    20 Lexington Road
    Concord, Massachusetts

I.

Suite No. 6 Hermann Ambrosius
    Prelude
    Minuet
    Sarabande
    Gavotte-Trio
    Badinerie

Song of Japanese Autumn Yasuo Kuwahara

Song for My Father Clarice Assad

Concerto per orchestra a pizzico Victor Kioulaphides
    Sinfonia
    Notturno
    Rondo

Concerto in C Major (RV 425) Antonio Vivaldi
    Allegro
    Largo
    Presto

Robert Paul Sullivan, mandolin

II.

American Songs Traditional
    (announced from the stage)
    Robert Paul Sullivan, mandocello

Abendmusik: Nocturne de Salon, Op. 227 Ferdinando Carulli
    Allegro
    Largo
    Allegretto Grazioso

Summer Music Robert Martel
    Morning Song
    Meditation
    Evening Dance

Mark Davis, guitar
    Robert Paul Sullivan, guitar

Concierto de Media Luna Jose Luis Barroso
    Recuerdos
    Elegia
    Danza

Chagall’s Mandolin Hankus Netsky
    Eastern Wind
    Song of Longing
    Silenced Voices
    Song of Passion
    Sirba

Robert Paul Sullivan, mandolin

Program Notes

By Robert A. Margo

Italy is the ancestral home of the mandolin, spiritually and literally. It was in Italy that the “mandolino” and “mandoline” first made their appearances in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. The mandolino had six courses (double strings) tuned mostly in fourths while the mandoline had four courses tuned in fifths like the modern mandolin (or violin). Vivaldi wrote his “mandolin” works such as the familiar RV 425 for the six course instrument although these are frequently performed on the modern mandolin, as in today’s concert.

By the mid nineteenth century the mandolin had fallen into disuse in European art music but remained popular as a folk instrument in Italy. A revival ensued in the late nineteenth century, and the mandolin soon became one of the most widely played instruments in the Old and New Worlds. Virtuosos burst on the scene, tutors written, ensembles of all sizes and types formed, and vast quantities of music published. It was during this “Golden Age” of mandolin that ensembles of mandolin family instruments became very popular. The contemporary American version of the mandolin orchestra mimics the bowed strings variety, featuring sections of mandolins (violin), tenor mandola (viola), mandocello (cello), mandobass (double bass) and classical guitar for harmonic support.

Today’s concert features two of the classics of the modern repertoire for mandolin orchestra, Hermann Ambroisus’ “Suite No. 6” written in a friendly, neo-baroque style; and Yasuo Kuwahara’s “Song of Japanese Autumn”, a romantic work whose cadenza is spiced by pentatonic scales and arpeggios that hazily evoke the music of the composer’s homeland. Jose Luis Barroso’s “Concierto de Media Luna” wears its Spanish origins on its sleeves with pointed references to flamenco harmonies and rhythms. The concert also features a remarkable new work, Victor Kioulaphides’ “Concerto per orchestra a pizzico”, composed for the Dutch ensemble Het Consort and given its United States premiere in February by the Providence Mandolin Orchestra. Written for the Providence Mandolin Orchestra, Clarice Assad’s “Song for My Father” is filled with the subtle harmonies and infectious rhythms of the composer’s native Brazil.

Other than the human voice no instrument has been partnered more often in chamber music with the classical guitar than a second guitar. Ferdinando Carulli was one of the most prolific of the early nineteenth century guitarist-composers. Carulli’s “Nocturne de Salon” falls easy on the ear with its sprightly melodies. Robert Martel is a classical guitarist and composer from Massachusetts. His works for mandolin orchestra have been performed widely, including by the Providence Mandolin Orchestra, which featured his piece “Sky Colored Lake“ on its recording “Songs Without Words“. True to its title, Martel’s “Summer Music” for guitar duo features breezy harmonies and relaxed rhythms.

A multi-instrumentalist, composer, and scholar, Hankus Netsky teaches improvisation and Jewish music at the New England Conservatory. He is the founder and director of the Klezmer Conservatory Band, an internationally renowned Yiddish music ensemble. He has composed extensively for film and television, and has collaborated with such artists as Itzhak Perlman, Robin Williams, Joel Grey, and Theodore Bikel. Inspired by Chagall’s depiction of the mandolin in his paintings Netsky’s four movement concerto deftly mixes both Yiddish sounds and improvisation (by the soloist).

Robert Paul Sullivan studied guitar with Hibbard Perry, Rey de la Torre, Oscar Gighlia, and Emilio Pujol, among others. He has taught at the University of Rhode Island, Syracuse University, Clark University, and the New England Conservatory. A master of all instruments plucked, his recent performances have included the Boston Symphony Orchestra’s opening Gala concert of Mahler's Symphony No. 8 with conductor James Levine in Boston and New York; Boston Celebrity Series; Alea III; New Hampshire Symphony Orchestra; Rhode Island Symphony Orchestra; Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra; Boston Ballet; Boston Opera Company; Musica Viva, and Broadway productions of Chicago, Ragtime, Fiddler on the Roof, and Man of La Mancha. Several of Sullivan’s students have gone onto important careers, including John Muratore, Hopkinson Smith, and Crawford Young.
    Robert A. Margo

I wish the PMO all the success it deserves. Pick on!

Now, I know that this is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of anything concrete, but, hey, I'll throw it into cyberspace anyway:

There is "in the cooking" the possibility of Het Consort coming from The Netherlands to the U.S. in July of 2007. Obviously, this is hardly a done deal at this early stage; further information will follow in the months to come, as things unfold.

One "leg" of this tour will be a performance in Providence, splitting a program with the PMO and, perhaps, in ensemble with the PMO. While I have acted as initial conduit in this, I will hereby step into the background and let, in due time, the respective directors of these two, fine groups (i.e. Alex Timmerman and Mark Davis) say more on this.

Another leg of the tour will be a performance of Het Consort in New York, for which I have offered to do impresario pro bono duty: I have already booked a performance space, and will work on publicity in due time. Chaim Caron, organizer of the Carlo Aonzo Workshop, has graciously offered to lend invaluable help in reaching his comprehensive list of mando-contacts in support of this event.

Let us see how things unfold... Stay tuned!

Three cheers for the PMO!

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

"There is "in the cooking" the possibility of Het Consort coming from The Netherlands to the U.S. in July of 2007."

Yes, definitely in the cooking! The PMO also hopes to visit Het Consort on its home turf sometime as well.

Much else is in the cooking for the PMO: an evening devoted to the music of our resident composer Owen Hartford including (hopefully) a performance of his chamber opera for mandolin orchestra, "The Frog Prince"; newly commissioned works; and my personal pet project, a concert of modern German music.
    Robert A. Margo

Quote Originally Posted by (margora @ June 09 2006, 09:36)
    chamber opera for mandolin orchestra, "The Frog Prince";
    How wonderful! I made a point of including a mandolin part in my last opera, but an opera with an entire mandolin orchestra!! Sounds truly delightful.

(Are the wheels turning in your head too, Victor? )
    John Craton
    "Pick your fingers to the bone, then pick with the bone"

"... chamber opera for mandolin orchestra, "The Frog Prince"

This would actually be a revival -- the PMO gave the premiere of this piece several years ago.
    Robert A. Margo

Quote Originally Posted by
    "Are the wheels turning in your head too, Victor?"
    I've got a few screws that are loose, John; don't know about wheels.

Cheers,

Victor

Hi John and all,

Just to inform you that the two rehearsals for the concert tomorrow at which the young Dutch mandolinist Ferdinand Binnendijk will première John Craton's Mandolin Concerto No1, went fine.

Attached a somewhat vague photo but one that hopefully gives you an idea about the size of the orchestra.

Best, Alex

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ferdinand__het_OvhO_1.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	16590  

Hello John and all,

Here is a report of the concert last Thursday with Ferdinand Binnendijk and the Orkest van het Oosten premiering John Craton’s Mandolin Concerto No1.

Thursday was of course a very special day for Ferdinand but also an ordinary schoolday for him. We only met in the evening about 30 minutes before the concert started.

Ferdinand was already in the soloist room tuning his mandolin and also the other two soloists of the evening Alain Pondman the saxophonist and the violinist Martine Stigt Thans were there.
    Ferdinand seemed to be quite relaxed and after we had talked again about the last rehearsal and what could have been done better back then, he played through some parts and assured me that he would do his very best to play as clear and loud as possible. We had noticed that especially in the moments where the mandolin plays together with the orchestra the notes on the G and d string have to be played with more strength and projection. Even when in the music for the mandolin is written p and mp. Otherwise those notes on the mandolin would not be heard at all and be completely lost in the orchestra sound.
    I must say that Ferdinand seemed to be very confident of himself and this made me feel that I could leave him and search for a chair in the concert hall. Ferdinand however said that he would rather go with me and enjoy the first half of the concert as a listener.
    So we wished Martine and Alain good luck for their part in the programme and left the solists-room to look for some fine seats in the concert hall.

Now this hall - a big one - had a quite different acoustic than the one where the rehearsals had taken place, so there was – at least for me - some reason to be nervous about. Other than the hall in Enschede - a real concert hall - this hall is a multi functional one; one where conferences, films and theatre productions can also take place.
    Nevertheless, when the concert began and the Orkest van het Oosten took of with Mozart´s 29th Symphony, I forgot about the acoustics and really enjoyed the sound and playing of the Orchestra. The acoustic would be OK for the mandolin we thought.
    Interesting was that, except for the cellists and double bass players, the violinists, violists and wind players were all playing standing.
    Scheduled then was the young violinist Martine Stigt Thans accompianied by the pianist of the Orchestra, Mrs. Inge Lulofs. Both performed Saint Saëns´ Rondo Capriccioso in a most virtuos way! Very nice violin playing and completely from memory.
    To conclude the 1st half of the concerto the orchestra came on stage again to play Puccini´s Crisantemi. What a wonderful work this is! And what nice it was to hear that an orchestra is able to play so well together in the many p to ppp's that are required by Puccini in this beautiful composition. Good to know with the Mandolin Concerto in mind and knowing that it was sheduled right after the interval.

During the interval Ferdinand and I went upstairs to the soloist room; he prepared himself for playing the Mandolin Concerto by loosening his fingers, playing some tricky frazes of the concerto and tuning his mandolin. It was clear for me that he could handle the situation very well by his own, so I said good luck to him and left.

Then the 2nd half began. After the Orchestra members took their places Ferdinand came in. He bowed to the audience and softly tuned his mandolin. I must say that I was – and still am – very impressed; a young boy aged 15 completely in control with himself and what was going on around him. Right from the beginning Ferdinand’s playing was excellent and although one could notice – especially in the tutti parts – that he had to work hard not to be overshadowed by the strength of the orchestra, he did very well and tackled that problem as best as he could.
    Especially so when one takes in account that this result was already achieved with only two rehearsals.

Of course, the musicians of the Orkest van het Oosten are professionals but nevertheless, if an orchestra is not used to accompany let’s say a guitarist, harpsichord player or a mandolinist one perhaps cannot expect that the balance is always in complete control. This was after all a nearly 20 minutes concerto! It is thanks to the conductor Mrs. Candida Thompson that the musicians of the Orchestra stayed alert all the time and that the premiere of John Craton’s Mandolin Concerto will be rememberd by the audience in Zwolle as a great performance! #
    After the final chords of the concerto there was a burst of well deserved applause for Ferdinand, not only by the audience but by the orchestra members as well!

Next to come was the Concerto for alto saxophone composed by Glazoenov played by Alain Pondman and his own accompanist on the piano, Tanja Dijksterhuis. It was most amazing to witness the speed of finger-movement of Alain! This teenager had such great control that it seemed as he was singing instead playing an instrument. Very well done! #
    #
    The concert was concluded by the Orkest van het Oosten with a wonderful performance of Elgar’s well-known Serenade. I couldn't help that my mind was carried away by the sound of this great music thinking that this kind of concerts where young and old are seen together playing all kinds of instruments, are the initiatives that we need for the appreciation of music in general and the mandolin in particular. Especially where it concernes young people.

When I got out of the music hall into the launch of the Nieuwe buitensociëteit I saw Ferdinand. He was smiling and enjoying the attention he got from so may people. It all had been a great experience for him! It was all the more nice that so many people had liked the Mandolin Concerto. Therefore John, thank you for the Mandolin Concerto and everything you did that made this evening turn out to be such a wonderful event!

The next morning I was phoned and informed that there was a very nice photo of Ferdinand in the main news paper of Zwolle. And indeed after buying one I saw that it was a huge photo with Ferdinand playing his mandolin on it (see attached image).

All in all, a better PR we can not have for our beloved instrument!

Many greetings,

Alex

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ferdinand___Orkest_van_het_Oosten.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	16697  

Thanks for sharing this Alex! #Congratulations to Ferdinand! #It will be fun to hear about his future musical progress. #It certainly looks bright. #Before I forget...thank you John, for writing a remarkable piece for mandolin. #With all the skilled proponents of mandolin, performers and composers, I hear about on this board (Thank YOU Scott), it seems we are entering a new "Golden Age" of mandolin!
    Best wishes,
    Linda

Thanks for the update, Alex, and to you, Linda, for your very kind words. I've no doubt that Ferdinand and Candida Thompson made the concerto sound far better than it deserves. Wish I could have been there, but one trek across the pond is about all I can manage within a three-month span. Contratulations to Ferdinand on his outstanding talent! I've rarely seen any performer, much less one only 15 years old, with such relaxed stage presence. If he ever has a case of the nerves, no one would ever guess. Here is a young artist in full control and with a great future ahead!
    John Craton
    "Pick your fingers to the bone, then pick with the bone"

Thanks, Alex, for the detailed report and it is great to see the coming of age of a mandolin solosit like Ferdinand.

Wonderful photo as well.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

FYI
    Best Music Source, Inc is pleased to present...A Night Of Classical Mandolin and World Music! July 8, 2006 Richard Walz will be performing and also The Great American Gypsies ( Charlie Rappaport & Joe Kovah) and the Baltimore Mandolin Quartet at the LMH Fine Arts Center 2176 Lincolon Highway East, Lancaster, PA. #The same Afternoon Richard will do a mandolin workshop from 1-3. Workshop tickets are $40. The evening concert starts at 7pm. and concert tickets #are $30 for the first 8 rows. $20 for the rest of 1st floor and $15 for the balcony section.
    The Workshop will be held at our building located at 19 Helen Ave, Ephrata PA 17522.
    Feel free to call for additional info 717-721-7120.
    Looking forward to a great day!
    Michelle
    Michelle Garman

I went to the Providence Mandolin Orchestra concert on Saturday --another lovely performance by this fine ensemble.

Robert Margo listed the program above -- so I won't recap that here. I would say, though, that the entire program was enjoyable (the acoustics were well suited to the ensemble as well) but my favorite pieces of the evening were Victor's "Concerto per orchestra a pizzico" and Hankus Netsky's "Chagall’s Mandolin". One of the best things about the PMO in their willingness to explore (and commission) new works.

Kudos to all -- especially director, Mark Davis and soloist, Robert Paul Sullivan.

It was pretty much a capacity audience, too, and it was great to see some Cafe folks there -- including Robert (who is a member of the orchestra) and August Watters.

If you ever have the chance to see this group, do it.

"One of the best things about the PMO in their willingness to explore (and commission) new works ... If you ever have a chance to see this group, do it"

Jim, many thanks for the kind remarks! We had a lot of fun at this performance, especially w/Victor's concerto, which we have now performed several (5) times, and w/the Netsky piece.

I remind everyone that JimD will be playing his excellent "Gifts of the Bard" for solo mandolin at AMGUSS next week, and that copies of the score are available from Wolfhead.
    Robert A. Margo

I am delighted to hear that my Concerto has gotten such terrific mileage, on BOTH sides of the Atlantic! It is hardly a "simple" piece —certain publishers, not to be named, frankly admitted it was plain too hard for ANY group known to them. Yet both Het Consort and the PMO are to be heartily applauded for performing it to such good effect. Bravi!

I am evidently very fortunate to know simply better groups than said publishers do...

Thumbs up!

Hello Jim and Robert,

Thanks Jim for the report of the concert given by the Providence Mandolin Orchestra. I also saw their program as listed here by Robert and liked it very much! What I also found very interesting is to see that the Concerto for mandolin and orchestra "Chagall’s Mandolin" by Hankus Netsky was played. And great to hear that it was performed so well!

I know this ´Concerto´ as originally being composed as a Suite for Mandolin and Strings (also known as: "Klezmer Suite for Mandolin and Strings). Perhaps it is interesting to know that this work was commissioned by the New Sinfonietta of Amsterdam. Click here to find their website.
    Now I wondered who made the arrangement for mandolin and mandolin orchestra?
    Perhaps you know this Robert?

Congrats and cheers to you both!

Alex

Hello all,

Thanks Linda, John, Jim and Victor for your nice words with regard to Ferdinand! I´ll inform him and I´m sure he will be quite surprised.

To keep you informed about his musical activities I am again happy to bring under your attention Ferdinand´s 2nd appearance with orchestra.
    This time he will play together with the Amsterdam Symphony Orchestra.

The concert will take place on Saturday, July 1th at 20.30 hours. It is an open-air evening concert by THE AMSTERDAM SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA conducted by Peter Sánta at the Rode Torenplein (Red Tower Square) in Zwolle. The entrance is free and you are allowed to bring your own chair with you # .

More information about the concert, orchestra, soloists and program can be found at the Website of Het CONSORT.

Many Greetings,

Alex

"Now I wondered who made the arrangement for mandolin and mandolin orchestra?
    Perhaps you know this Robert?"

Alex, I'm not sure, but probably Mark Davis (or maybe the soloist, Bob Sullivan or maybe Netsky, since he teaches at the New England Conservatory where Bob Sullivan also teaches). I'm reading from a hand written part, violin #1. I think the only part that is "arranged" per se is the guitar part, everyone else is reading from the string orchestra parts. But I'll check with Mark and report back.
    Robert A. Margo

Hi Robert,

That would be wonderful!

Thanks in advance and greetings also to Mark,

Alex

Hello, Alex.

Such great news!

Please give Ferdinand my warmest congratulations and best wishes for a stellar performance on July 1. "A star is born"...

High-five, and thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by (Alex @ June 21 2006, 17:43)
    What I also found very interesting is to see that the Concerto for mandolin and orchestra "Chagall’s Mandolin" by Hankus Netsky was played. And great to hear that it was performed so well!
    I know this ´Concerto´ as originally being composed as a Suite for Mandolin and Strings (also known as: "Klezmer Suite for Mandolin and Strings). Perhaps it is interesting to know that this work was commissioned by the New Sinfonietta of Amsterdam. Click here to find their website.
    Now I wondered who made the arrangement for mandolin and mandolin orchestra?
    Alex, Robert, Jim,et al,
    Thanks for your positive comments on our PMO programming. #
    I am responding to Alex' request for info on the arrangement we are using.
    The mandolin family instruments are all using Hankus' original parts for string orchestra. #
    The guitar parts were written by Robert Paul Sulllivan (of the New England Conservatory). #He based the guitar parts on the piano part.
    We have in the past used an accordian to good effect to perform the piano part; we don't necessarily need this part but it does add wonderful color.

I myself was unaware of who originally commissioned this piece. #I checked with Mr. Netsky and got the following clarification from him:

"It was commissioned by the Amsterdam Niew Sinfonietta (a chamber
    orchestra) in 1998 for Jeff Warschauer (a former student of Bob
    Sullivan's!). #It was first performed in April of 1998."

I hope this helps.

Mark
    Music Director - The Providence Mandolin Orchestra
    http://www.myspace.com/markandbeverlydavis

Hello, Mark! Please give my warm regards to all the good folks of the PMO.

Cheers,

Victor

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your reply! #Indeed, it was premiered in 1998 by Jeff Warschauer and the New Sinfonietta Amsterdam in Utrecht (Netherlands). And now again by the Providence Mandolin Orchestra. Wonderful! Thanks also to you Robert for your help!

As I am very interested in this concerto and since it seems to be arranged with the composers permission for Mandolin & Mandolin Orchestra, I will contact you directly about it.

Best greetings,

Alex

Hello Alex,
    You know we didn't just give the first US performance of this piece. We arranged and played it at Jordan Hall with Bob Sullivan in 1999 and again on our European tour of that year with concerts in Munich, Giessen, Luxembourg and France (details, if you're interested, are on our website). We have played it several times since then including this latest performance. It is a wonderful piece and always goes over very well with audiences.
    I think it would be wonderful if you were to perform it.
    Mark
    PS We have always known this piece as "Chagall's Mandolin" - I much prefer this name to "Klezmer Suite..." - much more interesting don't you think? I will have to ask Hankus which is the official title.
    Music Director - The Providence Mandolin Orchestra
    http://www.myspace.com/markandbeverlydavis

Hello Mark,

Wonderful! And also that you are in such close contact with the performer/arranger and composer! I like that very much and I also agree with you about Chagall's name to the Concerto. That is much nicer, also for the audience !

I would love to play Hankus Netsky´s Mandolin Concerto with my orchestra and I will contact you tomorrow about it together with some more details on our visit to the US .

Many greetings to you and all the members of your Orchestra,

Alex