Page 36 of 37 FirstFirst ... 11323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Default Re: Mandolin Concerts of Note

MAURO SQUILLANTE TO THE NETHERLANDS WITH BACH

At 1 and 2 July 2017 Maestro Mauro Squillante will come from Naples to the Netherlands! He will give two concerts with the title "Pensando Bach", in which he will play solo partitas and sonates of J.S. Bach, on mandolin, mandola in C and liuto cantabile.

Mauro says about the concerts:
"Although Bach’s works have already been played by other mandolinists it is the first time that three instruments will be used in one recital: mandolin, mandola and liuto cantabile which is perfect for the sixth cello suite since it provides the same tuning as violoncello piccolo, the instrument it was written for. 
Except for the love of the music itself, my motive for playing Bach’s music on mandolin is also the love for the mandolin; by playing music of highest quality mandolin establishes it self as an instrument worth of respect just as any other. Moreover, playing highly polyphonic violin and cello pieces on a plucked string instrument with wisely chosen fingerings and dynamic nuances gives possibility of keeping the counterpoint and individuality of voices very clear which then illuminates expressivity of Bach’s music and also possibilities of mandolin."

1 July 7.00 p.m. in Heerde
    2 July 3.00 p.m. in Den Horn

Mauro also will give a masterclass and a workshop in Heerde. On the program Passacaglia Pizzicata by Victor Kioulaphides and Sonata K430 by Domenico Scarlatti, arranged for plucked ensemble by Victor.

1 July 10.30 - 1.30 p.m. masterclasses
    2.00 - 5.00 p.m. workshop

Sebastiaan de Grebber and Alex Timmerman are so nice to giving their assistance by leading the workshop the first hour. The result of the workshop will get a place in the concert that night.

For more information ask Margriet Greydanus, e-mail: margreyd@gmail.com

If you are around, don't miss it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foto facebook evenement mauro.png 
Views:	202 
Size:	252.2 KB 
ID:	157582

Ah, if only I could fly over like a bird... What was the line from that poem, "Ik zou een vogel willen zijn..."?

Warm regards to all my dear, dear friends who will attend. I will be with you in spirit.
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

3. The following members say thank you to vkioulaphides for this post:

The New York Mandolin Ensemble and L'Esperance Mandolin Ensemble from Rhode Island will join together in a concert to benefit Bank Street Head Start on March 10th at 7pm at Bank Street College of Education located at 610 West 112th Street in Manhattan. We hope to see you there. Thirty musicians playing mandolin, mandola, octave mandolin, mandocello, guitar, violin, bass and percussion will participate. Please help us spread the word by sharing this post. For reservations or to donate to the program please go to https://giving.bankstreet.edu/bankstreet-headstartClick image for larger version. 

Name:	HS_Benefit_Concert-01.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	4.68 MB 
ID:	165473

5. The following members say thank you to Steven C. Antonelli for this post:

Best of luck, friends! I will be in Athens until the 11th so I'm sorry to say I'll have to miss this one. Please keep posting your activities here and I'll catch up with you, sooner or later.

Three cheers,

Victor

Tamara Volskaya and her Russian Trio will perform with the Baltimore Mandolin Orchestra on Sunday, May 6, at 4:00 p.m. at Immaculate Heart of Mary Church in Towson, MD. (Go to Calendar and check out May 6, 2018, for the details.)

The New York Mandolin Ensemble will present its final concert of the season at St John Nepomucene Church which is located at 411 East 66th Street on the Upper East Side of Manhattan on June 9, 2018. This beautiful setting is an ideal acoustic environment for mandolins and other acoustic instruments. The program includes a variety of classical styles, and original compositions by ensemble members. Special guests include Mark Linkins the Director of the Philadelphia Mandolin Ensemble and Karyn Joaquino on piano. Admission is by donation. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New York Mandolin Ensemble St John Nepomucene.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	167873

Carlo Aonzo Trio - "A Mandolin Journey"

Friday, September 21 - 7:30pm – 10:00pm

Tompkins Corners Cultural Center will present the Carlo Aonzo Trio, featuring Mr. Aonzo on mandolin, Lorenzo Piccone on guitar & vocals, and Luciano Puppo on double bass.

Their presentation of A Mandolin Journey is a brilliant, bold and adventurous concert of a broad range of music - not only from their Italian roots, but also American and European ethnic and jazz compositions from David Grisman to Jethro Burns, Jacob do Bandolim and more.

Aonzo says, "Often the mandolin has traveled in 3rd class, accompanying immigrants through seas and continents, inside cardboard suitcases to unknown lands. But wherever it landed it made its new dwelling by cleverly integrating with the local culture. This is confirmed by the different shapes and tunings that it took up within the various musical genres that welcomed it.

"We present the Italian mandolin’s journey in its various traditional, renewed and reinvented aspects; a modern melting pot of music and culture. A musical map, sailing off from the strong foundations of our tradition towards other interesting and unexpected sonorous routes."

Suggested donation is $20, students and seniors $15.

For Tickets

Tompkins Corners Cultural Center, 729 Peekskill Hollow Road, Putnam Valley, NY 10579

Google Maps
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

10. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra (PMO) will perform this coming Sunday (October 28) for the Hamilton House Sunday Afternoon Music Series, Central Congregational Church Hall, 296 Angell St (at Diman Place), in Providence RI, at 4 PM. General admission is $15, tickets at the door (children are free). Music by Hans Gal, Francisco Tarrega, Victor Kioulaphides, Joel Hobbs, Guiseppe Manente, Owen Hartford, Hidenori Yoshimizu; and a special appearance by the Brown University Mandolin & Guitar Club (with the PMO) in Robert Schultz's "Suite in D".
    Robert A. Margo

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to margora For This Useful Post:

Happy to hear that, Bob. Which piece of mine are you performing? I am badly overdue with attending one of your wonderful performances again but things just keep getting in the way... We just got back from Boston/Cambridge yesterday, as a matter of fact, but our itineraries are always maxed out with obligations.

Three cheers to you all!

Victor

"Happy to hear that, Bob. Which piece of mine are you performing?"

Peripatos. It went very well.
    Robert A. Margo

Good news, all around.

Baltimore Mandolin Orchestra concert tomorrow.

This will be the BMO's first public concert with our new music director, Mark Linkins. The program will include a march by the orchestra's founder, a 17th century dance, a rumba, a tone poem by Baltimore composer Jonathan Jensen, and more. We will feature clarinetist Natalie Pucillo. She will start the program by performing Finzi's "Five Bagatelles" with piano accompaniment. Then she will join the orchestra in performing the Largo movement from Vivaldi's "Winter" from "The Four Seasons" and soloing in Manente's "Tramonto d'Autunno." The BMO's resident soprano, Beatrice Gilbert, will close the concert. She will sing a Schubert Lied and Mark Linkins's swing arrangement of Gershwin's "Summertime." Should be a great concert, so if you're in town on Sunday, stop by and see us and enjoy some refreshments after the concert.

Sunday, April 7, 3:00 p.m.
    St. Ursula Catholic Church
    8801 Harford Road
    Parkville (Baltimore), MD
    410-665-2111 for info
    Admission is free (freewill offering)

The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra is kicking off its 10th season with an April 13 Spring Celebration Concert featuring the internationally acclaimed ensemble, The Wiesenekker-Lysov Trio. Together, the orchestra and the guests will explore an intriguing musical sampler ranging from folk and samba to a Vivaldi concerto and a Japanese piece wistfully looking at the changing seasons. Special reserved VIP seats at downtown's Old Church Concert Hall will include a meet-and-greet with Michiel Wiesenekker, Marijke Wiesenekker and Maxim Lysov, as well as with Christian McKee, the orchestra's music director.

Owen Hartford Retrospective: Music for Mandolins

This is a concert in honor of Owen Hartford, one of the most prolific modern American composers for plucked strings ensemble. Six ensembles – the Al Fresco Mandolin Quartet, Enigmatica (directed by Marilyn Mair), the L’Esperance Mandolin Ensemble (directed by Josh Bell), the Mair-Martel-Moser Trio, the New American Mandolin Ensemble and the Providence Mandolin Orchestra (both directed by Mark Davis), and the Gloucester Hornpipe & Clog Society – will participate. Location, Date, and Time: First Parish Milton Unitarian Universalist, 535 Canton Ave, Milton MA, Saturday April 13, 2019, 2:30-4:30 pm. Suggested donation is $10, at the door.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Owen Hartford Concert Poster.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	175973
    Robert A. Margo

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to margora For This Useful Post:

Here is the program for those who may be interested:

Owen Hartford Retrospective Concert

Cornflakes 14 (2001)
    Grooves #11 (2007)
    Enigmatica—Ensemble Plectrophonic

Rondo Bachanal (1995)
    Al Fresco Quartet

Gretel Dreaming Song Cycle. (2008), Lyrics by Betsey Hartford
    1. Afternoon, 2. Evening, 3. Morning
    Alice Goodwin-Brown, Soprano, Jonathan Roberts, Piano, Mair-Martel-Moser Trio

Overture to the Frog Prince (mini-opera) (2009)
    Family Squabble (1994)
    L’Esperance Mandolin Ensemble

Country Bicycle (1979)
    Wistful Waltz (1982)
    Jamaica Plain Rag (1981)
    Gloucester Hornpipe & Clog Society

Urban Sketches* (2012)
    1. Circuits, 2. Underground, 3. Walkabout, 4. Fast Lane
    Carousel I, Carousel II** (2014)
    New American Mandolin Ensemble

History of a Texas Wildflower (2015)
    Twinkle, Twinkle Little Samba (1999))
    Latin Sketches (2007)
    Providence Mandolin Orchestra

A reception in the Parish Hall will follow the concert
    *2nd Prize in the International Composition Competition, "José Fernández Rojas," 2012
    **2nd Prize in the International Composition Competition, "José Fernández Rojas," 2014

21. The following members say thank you to MMDavis for this post:

Could you give the sources/publishers of this music? Trekel ? Available on line?

"Could you give the sources/publishers of this music? Trekel ? Available on line?"

"Urban Sketches" is published by MundoPlectro and is available here: https://www.mundoplectro.com/epages/...ducts/MP020032.

Everything else is available from Owen. Contact me by email.
    Robert A. Margo

Thanks, Bob; the mandolin community is one of the most sharing musical cultures around. I already heard from Owen, and will be looking at and (I hope) playing some of his wonderful compositions soon. Funny thing, though, I tried the MundoPlectro site to purchase (I support artists!) but it would not let me enter "US" in my address--it insisted on Spain. As it happens I will be in Spain later in May--maybe I'll get the music then.

"Funny thing, though, I tried the MundoPlectro site to purchase (I support artists!) but it would not let me enter "US" in my address--it insisted on Spain. As it happens I will be in Spain later in May--maybe I'll get the music then."

You can order from MundoPlectro from the US but you need to do it by email. Send me an email and I will explain.
    Robert A. Margo

Baltimore Mandolin Orchestra concert featuring lyric soprano Beatrice Gilbert on Sunday, May 5.

For the fifth year in a row, the Baltimore Mandolin Orchestra will perform at Immaculate Heart of Mary Church on Sunday, May 5 (details below). This year we will be featuring lyric soprano Beatrice Gilbert. Ms. Gilbert is celebrating her 25th year singing with the BMO, and we will accompany her as she sings some of her favorite opera arias, Broadway tunes, tunes from popular movies and more. Ms. Gilbert will also be joined by pianist John Massa for several selections.

Outgoing BMO music director Kristin Turner and current music director Mark Linkins will share the conducting duties at this concert, which will be Dr. Turner's last appearance with the BMO.

Aside from accompanying Ms. Gilbert, the orchestra will play several instrumental pieces, starting with a march composed by the orchestra's founder, Conrad Gebelein. This concert will be performed in honor of Mr. Gebelein. As an added attraction, we are thrilled to announce that Mr. Gebelein's grandson, Wayne Gebelein, will join us, and he will perform a solo on guitar of one of his grandfather's compositions. Furthermore, some of our very talented youngest members will perform a movement from the Bach Double Violin Concerto - sure to be another real treat.

Please come if you can! The concert is free (a freewill offering will be taken).

Sunday, May 5, 2019
    4:00 p.m.
    Immaculate Heart of Mary Church
    8501 Loch Raven Boulevard, Towson

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra will perform tomorrow evening (February 15, 2020) at 7:30 PM (EST) at Sandywoods Center for the Arts, 43 Muse Way, Tiverton RI. The program, entitled "Plucked Strings Around the World", will feature the US premieres of two recent international works -- "Darkness and Light" by Werner Ruecker and "Persephone" by Bart Verstraeten. Also on the program are "Suite Nr. 1" by Konrad Wölki, "Suite Marinaresca" by Amadeo Amadei, "Reverie de Poete" by Guiseppe Manente, "Suite Campesina" by Sébastien Paci, and a new arrangement (by yours truly) of Astor Piazzolla's "Verano Porteńo". Tickets are $15 at the door.
    Robert A. Margo

Only marginally a "mandolin concert," but I (and a mandolin) will help to conclude this program: https://www.centralohiosymphony.org/...t-tickets.html

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post:

I am reviving this thread (FINALLY!).

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra (PMO) will perform LIVE next Sunday (2/27/2022) at the Bread Box Theatre, 220 Valley St, Willimantic CT, at 4 PM. We will be sharing the stage with the Mark and Beverly Davis Guitar Duo, who will be playing works by Milan Tesar, Guido Santorsola, and Ed Flower.

The PMO portion of the program will feature the world premiere of James Kellaris' latest (and spectacular) work for mandolin orchestra, "Café Cárdamome". Also on the PMO's portion are works by Gustav Gusenheimer (his concerto for recorder and zupforchester, a classic of the modern German literature, with Michael J. Raymond, Jr as soloist), Giuseppe Manente, Francine Trester, and arrangements (by yours truly) of three songs by Randy Newman. Tickets are $20 at the door. Covid protocols can be found here.
    Robert A. Margo

31. The following members say thank you to margora for this post:

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra will perform tomorrow at the Tufts Memorial Library, 46 Broad St, Weymouth MA, 3-4 PM, as part of the Boston Classical Guitar Society monthly series. Music by Gusenheimer, Woelki, Manente, James Kellaris, Francine Trester, and my arrangements of three songs by Randy Newman. Free admission (donations gratefully accepted).
    Robert A. Margo

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra will perform tomorrow (Monday, April 3, 2023) at the East Providence Library, 41 Grove St, East Providence RI, 6:30-7:30 PM. Our program will feature the world premiere of a new work written for the PMO by the distinguished classical guitarist Ron Pearl, "Open the Door to the North Wind". Also on the program will be the first performance of PMO member Mark Armstrong's innovative arrangement of the "Moderato" movement from Laurindo Almeida's first guitar concerto, with Mark as the soloist. Additional pieces by Konrad Woelki, Raffaele Calace ("Intermezzo, Op. 146" -- our first performance of this beautiful late work), James Kellaris, and Francine Trester. Free admission.
    Robert A. Margo

34. The following members say thank you to margora for this post:

Eugene