Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Default Re: Mandolin Concerts of Note

The New American Mandolin Ensemble (NAME) will give a concert tomorrow (February 28) at 4 PM at the Bread Box Theater, 220 Valley St, Willimantic CT. The program includes the "Concerto de Camera" by Victor Kioulaphides for mandolin and ensemble (David Miller, solo mandolin) and the US premiere of Claudio Mandonico's "Esortazione e Danza" for guitar and ensemble (Judith Handler, solo guitar). Also on the program are works by Chris Acquavella, Richard Charlton, Annette Kruisbrink, and Emiel Stopler. For further information, see http://www.breadboxfolk.org/.
    Robert A. Margo

2. The following members say thank you to margora for this post:

Hi everyone!

I'm excited to announce that I will be performing my Mandolin Concerto "From the Blue Ridge" with the Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra (Florida) this upcoming week for four performances: Thursday, March 3 (7:30pm), Friday March 4th (11:00am and 8:00pm) and Saturday, March 5th (8:00pm). The concert is at the Times-Union Center for the Performing Arts in Jacksonville, Florida. Michael Butterman is conducting and the program also includes "Old and Lost Rivers" (1986) by Tobias Picker, "Suite from The Tender Land" and "Suite from Appalachian Spring" by Aaron Copland. For more information, please check out:
    http://www.jaxsymphony.org/concerts-...can-landscape/

Thanks!

Jeff

4. The following members say thank you to jsmando for this post:

The Washington Balalaika Society is performing Saturday March 5 at 2:30 at the Atlas Theater in Washington D.C. We perform Russian, Ukrainian and other Eastern European music on traditional Russian instruments, including domra and balalaika, and are the largest such orchestra in the US. More info at the link below. If you're in the area, we hope you'll check us out. bb

http://www.atlasarts.org/event/washi...olk-orchestra/

Hi all,

For those who are in or near Zwolle this June this could perhaps be a nice opportunity to attend the Master classes and/or play in the Day Orchestra!

Best greetings,

Alex.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AF - Flyer ArtEZ Mandolinedag 4 juni 2016.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	280.0 KB 
ID:	144842

The Connecticut Guitar Society presents the New American Mandolin Ensemble (NAME) as part of their 2015-2016 season on Saturday, April 2, 8 PM, Asylum Hill Congregational Church, Hartford CT. Tickets are $25 for CGS members and $30 for non-members, available in advance at http://www.ctguitar.org/ or at the door. The concert will feature the premiere of a new 3-movement work by Dutch composer Emiel Stopler written for NAME, "Triptych"; a mini-guitar concerto by Claudia Mandonico, "Esortazione e Danza" with Judy Handler as guitar soloist; and Victor Kioulaphides, "Concerto de Camera" with David Miller as mandolin soloist. Also on the program are works by Chris Acquavella, Richard Charlton, Owen Hartford, Annette Kruisbrink, and Yasuo Kuwahara, among others. The CGS guitar ensemble will present a brief pre-concert program at 7:30 PM.
    Robert A. Margo

8. The following members say thank you to margora for this post:

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra will perform in the "Arts in the Village" series presented by the Rehoboth Antiquarian Society in Goff Memorial Hall, Rehoboth MA, on Saturday April 9 at 7:30 PM. The program will feature five contemporary multi-movement suites for mandolin and guitar ensemble: Stefano Squarzina's homage to the Italian renaissance lute, "Piccolo Mondo Antico"; a remarkable new mini-guitar concerto by Annette Kruisbrink, "Allemanda", with PMO guitarist Will Herern as soloist; Victor Kioulaphides "Concerto de Camera" with David Miller as mandolin soloist; James Kellaris' evocation of the early 20th century Gibson factory, his "Kalamazoo Suite"; and Stephen Lalor's expansive and vibrant "Australis Suite". Tickets available at the door.
    Robert A. Margo

10. The following members say thank you to margora for this post:

Robert Margo will give a recital on solo mandolin on Sunday, April 17, 3:00-4:00 PM, as part of the “Sunday Sounds” series at the Hingham Public Library, 66 Leavitt St, Hingham MA. The first half of the program will feature original works and transcriptions for solo mandolin by Denis (Capriccio #1), Bach (Allemanda from BWV1002), Calace (Prelude #15, Piccolo Gavotta), Victor Kioulaphides (Diferencias), and James Kellaris (Dimitri’s Earworm). The second half of the program will feature arrangements of folk/pop music by Lennon-McCartney, Joni Mitchell, and Pete Seeger, among others. Admission is free; donations accepted.
    Robert A. Margo

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to margora For This Useful Post:

Carlo Aonzo and Rene Izquierdo will appear in concert with the Baltimore Mandolin Orchestra on Sunday, April 24th, at 4:00 p.m. They will perform Vivaldi's Concerto in G for Two Mandolins accompanied by the BMO, and they will solo with Paganini's Sonata No. 1 in A Minor from the Centone di Sonate, which is one of the selections from their CD entitled "Paganini." This sonata is one of a set of violin and guitar duets, which will be played by Carlo and Rene on mandolin and guitar. They are also planning on accompanying soprano Beatrice Gilbert on a couple of vocal selections. The BMO will round out the program with a variety of pieces composed or arranged for mandolin orchestra. Location: Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church, 8501 Loch Raven Boulevard, Towson (Baltimore), Maryland. Admission: Free (freewill offering). Call 410-668-7935 for information. www.baltimoremandolinorchestra.org.
    Last edited by jblanchard; Apr-07-2016 at 8:21pm.

14. The following members say thank you to jblanchard for this post:

If, by some mischance, you happen to be in Clacton-on-sea this weekend there's I'll be with a group of mandolinists in the bar of the Esplanade on the sea front both afternoons. It's probably more of a 'get together' rather than a concert but when it all gels you do get the Mandolin Orchestra sound.

Hi all,

For those in Europe - or better those who are in the Netherlands - I like tp point out that the Dutch Mandolinist Ferdinand Binnendijk will give a recital on the Liuto cantabile ánd the mandolin on April 15th in the Waalse Kerk, Schoutenstraat 4 in Zwolle (NL).

Ferdinand Binnendijk will, besides the 6th Prelude composed by Raffaele Calace and Johann Sebastian Bach's 3rd Suite (BWV 1009) on the Liuto cantabile, perform Calace's 1st Prelude for solo mandolin.

Together with his duo partner Suzanne Zijderveld on harp Ferdinand will execute 2 Sonatas by Domenico Scarlatti and the Roumanian folkdances by Béla Bartók.

You are all very welcome!

Best greetings,

Alex.

Name:	Ferdinand Solo 0a.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	311.1 KB 
ID:	145285

[A late notice, but perhaps this has already been mentioned earlier in this thread— if so, my apologies.]

Master mandolinist Carlo Aonzo and guitarist René Izquierdo will be performing my Canzona at Bargemusic tonight, "New York's floating concert hall", a most miraculous venue on a real barge, moored by the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge.

http://bargemusic.org/

This work, fully titled Canzona per Carlo Aonzo was commissioned by and written for Carlo a decade ago and was soon thereafter programmed and taken along on his tour of Japan and the US, working its way eastwards all the way to New York City, where it was given its local premiere in 2006. So tonight's performance is a sort of tenth anniversary of this piece, written with much love for the mandolin and the guitar, and great admiration and affection for Carlo.

Should any fellow New Yorkers be able to attend, I will be delighted to meet you there.

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Only a rare sort of person can be a great artist and a great entertainer, all at the same time, without compromising artistic integrity or dulling the sheen of showmanship. Carlo is just that sort of person. After all, charisma does mean "gift" in Greek. You either got it or you don't. He does.

Three cheers for Carlo!

Victor

Quote Originally Posted by jblanchard View Post
    Carlo Aonzo and Rene Izquierdo will appear in concert with the Baltimore Mandolin Orchestra on Sunday, April 24th, at 4:00 p.m. They will perform Vivaldi's Concerto in G for Two Mandolins accompanied by the BMO, and they will solo with Paganini's Sonata No. 1 in A Minor from the Centone di Sonate, which is one of the selections from their CD entitled "Paganini." This sonata is one of a set of violin and guitar duets, which will be played by Carlo and Rene on mandolin and guitar. They are also planning on accompanying soprano Beatrice Gilbert on a couple of vocal selections. The BMO will round out the program with a variety of pieces composed or arranged for mandolin orchestra. Location: Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church, 8501 Loch Raven Boulevard, Towson (Baltimore), Maryland. Admission: Free (freewill offering). Call 410-668-7935 for information. www.baltimoremandolinorchestra.org.
    Carlo changed their Paganini selection to the Sonata No. 5 in E Major. (I couldn't edit my original post.)
    Jim B.

I will be traveling to Ft Wayne Indiana to perform this coming Sunday with Eclectica. The core members of Eclectica are Melanie Bookout, Russell Bookout, myself, and Anne Martin. Melanie, Russell, and Anne play various viola da gamba instruments, and Russell and I various plucked instruments. We are always joined by one or more guests, for this concert by Elizabeth Piercy, a wonderful singer in many different styles. I’ll be playing two mandolin solos – my arrangements of three songs by Pete Seeger, and “Dimitris Ohrwürmer,” an outstanding Greek-inflected piece by James Kellaris. Russell and I will play two mandoln-guitar duets (Scarlatti), and I’ll also accompany Elizabeth on guitar for songs by Luiz Bonfa, Jerome Kern, and Paul Simon. The concert is at 2 PM in the concert hall at the Main Public Library in Ft Wayne:

http://www.acpl.lib.in.us/home/explore/locations/main

Admission is free.
    Robert A. Margo

21. The following members say thank you to margora for this post:

Mandolins in the Canongate

The Edinburgh Mandolin and Guitar Orchestra and Da Capo Alba are presenting a joint concert in the Canongate Kirk, 153 Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8BR on Saturday, 26 November 2016 at 5 30 pm.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CanongatePosterDraft2v3.pdf 
Views:	142 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	151426
    Tickets: £8.00 (£6.00 concessions)
    Available in advance or purchase at the door

Hi all,

I'm proud to inform you about a unique LUNCH CONCERT in the Kleine Zaal van het Concertgebouw in Amsterdam by Ferdinand Binnendijk on the mandolin and mandola, and Laurens de Man on the piano.
    Unique because it has not happened before that the mandolin was heard with a complete recital in this prestigious Dutch concerthall. Let's hope many times will follow from now on!

The recital will take place tomorrow, Wednesday Dec. 28th at 12:30 hours and the entrance is free! If you are around Amsterdam, don't miss it!

Best greetings,

Alex.

Name:	Concertgebouw postertje Ferd en Laurens 1.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	152442

Hi all,

Memory already... But an absolute wonderful one, having witnessed mandolinist Ferdinand Binnendijk and his pianist Laurens de Man in their LUNCH CONCERT in Amsterdam in our foremost "Music Temple" Het Concertgebouw.

The hall was completely sold out (the people stood in a row outside the Concertgebouw and more than some had to be disappointed because there were no tickets available anymore). Ferdinand Binnendijk and Laurens de Man gave a fantastic recital, performing music by Van Beethoven, Schubert and Calace, that was well received by the listeners and rewarded with a standing ovation!

Indeed, more of this would just be great! Let's hope that it'll be possibility soon and that we can listen to these two musicians in this concert hall again! What great acoustics and what fantastic musicians! Bravo to Laurens and Ferdinand!!!

Best greetings,

Alex.

Here is a photo taken during the concert of Laurens and Ferdinand.

Name:	15782696_10211694676631253_1397498148_n.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	152561
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15731440_10211694679831333_30467383_n.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	152560  

WOW! That's truly a landmark for the mandolin on the world stage!

Three cheers for Ferdinand, and wishes for continuing successes,

Victor

26. The following members say thank you to vkioulaphides for this post:

Robert Margo will give a solo recital on mandolin and mandola (GDAE) for the “Sunday Sounds Series” at the Hingham Public Library, 66 Leavitt St, Hingham MA, on April 30, 2017, at 3 PM. The recital will include the world premiere of a new work for solo mandolin by the composer and mandolinist Jesse Jones, entitled “through tremulous haze …” One of the leading contemporary composers in the US, Jones is an assistant professor of composition at the Oberlin Conservatory of Music. Also on the program are BWV1007 in an arrangement for mandola; Victor Kioulaphides’ “Suite for Ali” (mandola); “Variations on ‘L’avez vous vu mon bien aimé’” by Leone (mandolin); and “Kleine Suite Nr. 2” by Oliver Kälberer (mandolin). Three different instruments will be used: an East German (1970s) round back mandolin (Leone), an East German (1970s) round back mandola (Bach and Kioulaphides), and a 2015 American carved back oval hole by Dave Cohen (Jones and Kälberer). Admission is free (donations accepted at the door).
    Robert A. Margo

Three cheers in advance, Bob! I'd love to attend but, alas, family calamities have disrupted what I had expected to be a happy New York to Boston ping-pong. We'll get over that, and get over there, both happier and more often.

I heard you play the Suite for Ali at the CMSA Convention in Baltimore, so I'm sure this performance will be just as lovely. As you know, it was written for Ali's "Beast", so it was conceived with that lower register in mind.

Cheers,

Victor

The New York Mandolin Ensemble will be performing at Rocky Neck Cultural Center 6 Wonson St, Gloucester, MA on May 6th at at 7:30pm. Tickets are $15. The ensemble Steven Antonelli, Wayne Fugate, Richard Robinson, Roy Goldberg and Barry Mitterhoff will be joined by Steve Levy, John Ruis and Gino Cichetti. The New York Mandolin Ensemble is an eclectic group of experienced New York based musicians who seek to expand the traditional boundaries of mandolin music through their original compositions and carefully chosen arrangements of works in the classical, jazz, "downtown" and trad/ethnic genres.https://www.facebook.com/events/399486853755713/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New York Mandolin Ensemble Photo July 2016.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	156018  

Massachusetts seems to be a hotbed for classical mandolin activity lately. I wish I could make it to all these events by friends and colleagues. I hope all more local MCers can make it. Both concerts should be wonderful.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

31. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Plectrum banjoist BUDDY WACHTER will appear with the Baltimore Mandolin Orchestra on Sunday, April 30th. Buddy is a Baltimore native, but this will be a rare appearance, because he hasn't played in town in 20-25 years. He's been playing around the world and doing other stuff.

Buddy began studying banjo, mandolin and bass at age nine. At the age of 16, before he had even graduated from high school, he auditioned for the Fred Waring Show and got hired. He began his professional career as a featured performer with Waring's famed "Pennsylvanians," and toured with them for two years.

Since then, Buddy has been devoted to bringing the four-string banjo to the world's stages. He has played more than 7,000 concerts to audiences in over 120 countries. He has appeared with Arthur Fiedler, Marvin Hamlisch, the Count Basie All-Stars, Benny Goodman, John Hartford, Stephane Grapelli, Tony Trischka and Bela Fleck. He has appeared regularly as a soloist with symphony orchestras. Since his Carnegie Hall debut with Skitch Henderson and the New York Pops in 1992, Buddy has been the guest soloist with over a hundred orchestras worldwide.

Starting in 1990, Buddy performed and lectured all over the world as a musical ambassador for the U.S. Department of State.

He was inducted into the Banjo Hall of Fame in 2001 in the Four-String Performance category and again in 2012 for Education and Instruction.

Besides performing pieces with the Baltimore Mandolin Orchestra at this concert, Buddy will perform solos and ensemble pieces with tubist Ed Goldstein (music director of the Peabody Ragtime Ensemble) and mandolinist Marc DeSimone, who entertains people in Baltimore's "Little Italy" by playing the mandolin and guitar and singing Italian favorites.

This promises to be a great and one-of-a-kind concert. Please try to come if you're in town.

When: Sunday, April 30, 4:00 p.m.
    Where: Immaculate Heart of Mary Church, 8501 Loch Raven Blvd, Towson (Baltimore), MD.
    Admission: Freewill offering

Name:	budstanding photo.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	156260

Videos from my recent solo concert at the Hingham Public Library of the pieces by Jesse Jones (the world premiere piece), Leone, and Oliver Kälberer can be found at my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT7...4gbmpwQja6V8lg. Audio, video, and production courtesy of my good friend Owen Hartford. Thanks Owen!
    Robert A. Margo

34. The following members say thank you to margora for this post:

One more video from my recent solo concert has been posted on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49wt6Y46VME&t=175s. This is BWV1007, played on a bowl back mandola (GDAE, East German). Production by Owen Hartford -- thanks Owen!
    Robert A. Margo

36. The following members say thank you to margora for this post: