Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 93031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Default Re: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Thanks! Looks like a great program! An excellent reason for a road trip from Philly to Baltimore.

Just discovered this thread, which is great! I know this last minute, but the Mandolin Society of Philadelphia is hosting a concert - Around the World on Eight Strings" - tomorrow night (April 11, 2015) in Ardmore, PA. The concert feature Oregon-based Mando Planet and Philadelphia's Munier Mandolin & Guitar Orchestra and the Philadelphia Mandolin Ensemble. The program offers a mandolin-based exploration of world music traditions. See the following link for info and tickets:

http://phillyfunguide.com/music/arou...-eight-strings

Not exactly classical, but an Early Music Society presentation here in Vancouver this coming Tuesday: An American Tune, a concert presenting a range of 19th century American styles using traditional instruments like mandolin, fiddle and banjo. The band of six musicians includes John Reischman. Extensive notes plus program and artist bios here:

http://www.earlymusic.bc.ca/events/american-tune/

Blog Entries

London Mandolin Festival
    May 17th St. Paul's Church, Covent Garden

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LMF-Back.png 
Views:	165 
Size:	304.3 KB 
ID:	133619
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

5. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra (PMO) will perform a concert in the Little River Music Series, Hampton Community Center, 178 Main St, Hampton CT, on Sunday, May 17, 4:30 PM. The concert will feature two major recent works for mandolin and guitar ensemble: the “Kalamazoo Suite” by James Kellaris and the “Australis Suite” by Stephen Lalor. Also on the program are original works for mandolin and guitar ensemble by Philip DeWalt, Owen Hartford, Mark Linkins, and Jürgen Thiergärtner, and several arrangements. Tickets are $15.00, available at the door.
    Robert A. Margo

7. The following members say thank you to margora for this post:

Blog Entries

I've added some photos of last Sunday's LMO / MOoD concert to the London Mandolin Group for posterity.

The LMO Before the concert (minus Cathy who had gone AWOL for the photo)

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	134359

Our 'Travel Pack' sized MOoD group before the concert

Views:	170 
Size:	178.3 KB 
ID:	134360

The LMO just before the start

Name:	LMO.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	134361

Finale with the combined orchestras and soloists.

Views:	171 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	134358
    Last edited by Beanzy; May-21-2015 at 1:40am.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Blog Entries

I've added some photos of last Sunday's LMO / MOoD concert to the London Mandolin Group for posterity.

(Apologies this seems to have double-posted and I can't delete it.)
    Eoin

The New York Mandolin Ensemble is doing two concerts in New England.
    On May 30th at 2pm we are at the Barrington Public Library which is at 281 County Road in Barrington, RI.
    On May 31st at 2pm we are at the Cultural Center at Rocky Neck at 6 Wonson Street in Gloucester, MA.
    We hope we will see some of our New England friends.
    We will be joined at this concert by several New England folks including Mark Davis, Bob Margo, Steve Levy, John Ruis, Gino Cicchetti and Ralph Martin.
    I've attached the programs for each concert.

Name:	NYME Barrington RI May 30 2015.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	134489

Name:	NYME Gloucester MA May 31 2015.JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	134490

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra will perform a spring concert on June 6, 7:30 PM, at the Park Place United Church of Christ, 71 Park Place, Pawtucket, RI 02860. Tickets are $15, available at the door. All proceeds benefit the church. The concert will include two three-movement suites -- the "Kalamazoo Suite" by James Kellaris and the "Australis Suite" by Stephen Lalor, both very beautiful contemporary works. Also on the program are original pieces for mandolin ensemble by Owen Hartford, Philip DeWalt, Mark Linkins, and Jurgen Thiergartner, and arrangements by Mark Linkins and myself (Robert Margo).
    Robert A. Margo

The Dutch Mandolin Chamber Orchestra Het CONSORT will give a concert Friday June 5th in the Catharinakapel in Harderwijk, Netherlands.

If you're happen to be in the Netherlands, you are welcome!

Name:	Poster Harderwijk.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	134876

Hi all,

Next Sunday, June 21th, two concerts by the Dutch Mandolin Chamber Orchestra HET CONSORT during the Guitar Festival Enkhuizen (at 12:00 and at 14:00 hours). Among other compositions we, together with guitarist Tom Edskes as the soloist, will perform the beautiful Concerto for Guitar and Plucked Orchestra composed by the Dutch composer Chris Mouter! Everybody welcome!

Best greetings,
    Alex.

Name:	Enkhuizen Poster 1.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	246.9 KB 
ID:	135260

Yesterday I was delighted to attend a performance shared by the New American Mandolin Ensemble and the Munier Mandolin Orchestra in the environs of Philadelphia; among the works performed was my Concerto a pizzico, with David Miller of NAME as soloist. David and the two ensembles joined hands in the happiest American premiere of this piece I could have ever wished for.

This was also my very first opportunity to hear NAME in live performance, and I must say that it's truly not to be missed. If you ever have a chance to attend one of their performances, please do; you will have me to thank for the hint. Good stuff...

Three cheers to NAME, Munier, and David!

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vkioulaphides For This Useful Post:

Wonderful
    I had the pleasure to play with the Munier orchestra in 1985 and 1986 when I was the Director of the Folklife Center of Philadelphia
    Wonderful folks and a great experience. I brought them to a major Ohio folk festival a few years after that. How quickly time goes.
    John

2012 Collins MT-2 Birds Eye Maple
    1924 Gibson F-4
    2010 Custom National Resonator (one of a kind)
    1930 National Resonator with new custom neck and "Doug Unger" inlay and back painted by Howard "Louie Bluie" Armstrong
    2005 Godin A-8
    2013 Kentucky KM-1050 "stage and club mandolin"

17. The following members say thank you to oldwave for this post:

Victor, We were so pleased to see you at our concert, and delighted to be able to perform your 'Concerto da Camera' for you. It is a wonderful piece which deserves more exposure (well, we're working on that!). On the recent NAME Mid-Atlantic States Mini-Tour we performed the piece thrice -once in New Market, MD, at our NAME concert (the US premiere ), once in Haddonfield, NJ, with the Philadelphia Mandolin and Guitar Ensemble, and again in Wallingford, PA with the Munier Mandolin Orchestra (which you attended). This is a piece which could be performed by many mandolin orchestras - of course they would have to find a soloist (we know one!).
    Thank you for once again providing the mandolin world with a top-notch piece of repertoire!
    Mark

19. The following members say thank you to MMDavis for this post:

Ah, a senior moment of mine: Concerto da camera, not a pizzico. Sorry, sorry... or perhaps I can excuse myself by the multitude of pieces I've written.

Hi all,

I like to inform you about a special concert this Sunday, June 21st, starting at 13.10 hours, in the Filmzaal of the Zuiderzeemuseum in Enkhuizen (NL) given by two Dutch mandolinists, Sebastiaan de Grebber and Ferdinand Binnendijk. Sebastiaan will play the mandolin while Ferdinand will play the mandolin as well as the Liuto cantabile. Programmed are compositions by Barbella, Albrechtsberger and Calace. The entrance is free and you are all very welcome!

Best, Alex.

Name:	Poster Seb en Ferd Enkhuizen.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	236.5 KB 
ID:	135450

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex Timmerman For This Useful Post:

A truly beautiful, lifelong friendship, a beautiful musical collaboration...

Cheers to Sebas and Ferdi,

Victor

24. The following members say thank you to vkioulaphides for this post:

Hi all,
    Tomorrow at 14:00 hours in the Doopsgezinde Kerk in Zwolle (NL): Ferdinand Binnendijk & Friends. A concert with the harpist Suzanne Zijderveld and pianist Steven Faber. Music by Rota and Schubert!

Everybody welcome!

Name:	Suzanne Zijderveld and Ferdinand Binnendijk.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	135557

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra will give a concert on Friday, October 30, at the Sandywoods Center for the Arts, 43 Muse Way, Tiverton RI, from 7:30-9:30 PM. The program will include a performance of Victor Kioulaphides' "Concerto de Camera" with David Miller as mandolin soloist. Also on the program are works by James Kellaris ("Kalamazoo Suite"), Stephen Lalor ("Australis Suite), and pieces by Philip DeWalt and Owen Hartford. Tickets are $15 at the door.
    Robert A. Margo

27. The following members say thank you to margora for this post:

Hello, all.

I attended an earlier performance of my Concerto da camera by the very same soloist and ensemble, so I can heartily and enthusiastically recommend them. As I just got back from another, this time family-related escapade from work, I unfortunately will not be able to attend this performance, for as much as I might have liked to. David and the PMO really make my score sing...

Cheers,

Victor

"I attended an earlier performance of my Concerto da camera by the very same soloist and ensemble, so I can heartily and enthusiastically recommend them."

Hi Victor -- you heard David Miller as soloist with the Munier Mandolin and Guitar Orchestra plus NAME, so not the same ensemble. But I can assure everyone that the piece sounds great with David and the PMO! Also, I will soon post information about two additional upcoming performances of the Concerto de Camera, again with David Miller as soloist, accompanied by the other members of NAME.
    Robert A. Margo

Very true; my apologies. It was the complex, Venn-diagram-like overlap of friendly faces that tripped me up. I, too, have no doubt that David and the PMO are a great mix, and kick myself doubly for missing this performance. I do look forward to othersm though...

North Meadow House Concerts is proud to present the New American Mandolin Ensemble in concert at the Hampton Community Center, 178 Main St, Hampton CT on Saturday, November 14th at 7:30 PM. Tickets are $15.00 at the door.

The New American Mandolin Ensemble is a group of professional musicians dedicated to presenting original compositions for plucked strings. Using the instruments of the mandolin family as well as classical guitars and string bass, the group performs a wide range of eclectic new music with influences ranging from Bach to bluegrass. The concert will feature the "Concerto de Camera" by Victor Kioulaphides with David Miller as soloist. Also on the program are works by Chris Acquavella, Richard Charlton, Owen Hartford, Annette Kruisbrink, Armin Kauffmann, Eden Macadam-Somer, Emiel Stopler, and Yasuo Kuwahara.

“The New American Mandolin Ensemble shines a fresh light on the Mandolin Orchestra tradition…the group plays wonderful new music…will no doubt become a standard [for] the mandolin groups of tomorrow” -- Mike Marshall

“I love it. Beautiful playing" -- Caterina Lichtenberg
    Robert A. Margo

Recently the trio presented their upcoming CD of the Dark Side of the Mandolin in a concert in La Casa del Mandolino a Napoli. Soon it will be available at Amazon.

In this thread http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...de-of-the-moon, posted by Billkilpatrick, you can read more and see a video or listen a track.

Remark that cafe-members who donate to their crowdfunding project and choose for a CD as a reward (€30), can obtain this Dark Side CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Margriet View Post
    Recently the trio presented their upcoming CD of the Dark Side of the Mandolin in a concert in La Casa del Mandolino a Napoli. Soon it will be available at Amazon.

In this thread http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...de-of-the-moon, posted by Billkilpatrick, you can read more and see a video or listen a track.

Remark that cafe-members who donate to their crowdfunding project and choose for a CD as a reward (€30), can obtain this Dark Side CD.

This update was meant to go with an earlier post. I forgot to quote. Anyway you will find the information in Bill's thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Margriet View Post
    Yesterday we attended a concert of note: " the dark side of the mandolin". As you can recognize in the title it refers to the album of Pink Floyd, released 40 years ago. This concert was given by the trio Mauro Squillante, Gaio Ariani and Valerio Fusillo. The concert was given in a theater in Naples, Italy. These three excellent musicians made us fascinated from the beginning until the end and more, regarding the enthousiast reaction of the audience, that gave two " encores".
    It was a joy to see/ listen what happens when classical taught musicians can bring such richdom to the mandolin and her family. They played Pink Floyd music on acoustic mandolin, mandola and mandoloncello, amplified and it sounded great.
    People who were not there, missed a lot.
    The trio can play this more often... and it is very worth. I would recommend to get them in your town and attend.
    We feel very lucky, these days in Naples.
    Beert and MargrietClick image for larger version. 

Views:	235 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	108023