Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Default Re: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Simply beautiful! I have grown so accustomed to Sebastiaan's "extracurricular" ottavino by now that I can't imagine this piece without that special effect...

Three cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

2. The following members say thank you to vkioulaphides for this post:

Surprised I did not see concert posted that I am attending right now. Milwaukee Mandolin Orchestra at the milwaukee lakefront.
    "Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Marshall View Post
    Surprised I did not see concert posted that I am attending right now. Milwaukee Mandolin Orchestra at the milwaukee lakefront.
    Please post your own review! Many of us would love to hear more about this performance...

Cheers,

Victor

I wasn't taking notes! Several Italian pieces. A few Irish with Irish flute. Number by local Milwaukee composer, who also was a local luthier and arranger of pieces for mandolin orchestras, The Talisman. The spokesperson was not very organized and kept saying the wrong song. Had my kids in tow as well and they tend to distract from the performance and making this post. Wish I had more to say other than I liked what I heard. One more thing, I find the Snarks to be distracting to the audience and half of the orchestra were sporting them on their headstocks. Constructive criticism.
    "Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted

I suppose this would go under the category of would-have-been-mandolin-concerts-of-note if there were such a category to begin with...

Tonight, at The Little Church Around the Corner in New York, violinists Mioi Takeda and Lynn Bechtold will premiere my Rondo Galante. This work was originally written for two mandolins at the request of Mike Marshall and Caterina Lichtenberg, for their second duo-CD. I don't really know what has happened of that project, but did once attend a house-concert in New York where the piece was performed among a small circle of invited guests.

So I guess this is the "real", public premiere of the piece, albeit on our bowed cousins-at-arms. It joins a program titled An Evening of Mediterranean Music, featuring works by such luminaries as Berio, Boccherini, Frescobaldi, Rota, and Tanguy.

Cheers to one and all, pluckers and bowers.

Victor

I am happy to report that Tuesday evening's performance went very, very well, and that the piece was well received. The two talented violinists managed to effectively "translate" the mandolin-sonorities to something just as lovely on their instruments.

The baby has walked. Now it's on its own; life will take it where it may. I just watch, smiling, from afar...

Cheers,

Victor

I am constantly and happily surprised to hear of the sheer number of summertime performances my works are getting; as a professional musician (of the grunt, run-of-the-mill sort), I have already called it a day for the 2013-2014 season, and have blithely slipped into summer-mode, with slow practice of scales and etudes, and other such calisthenic endeavors. And yet, and yet...

Mandolin luminary Ugo Orlandi will be devoting the entire final concert of a masterclass program he is leading in Makarska, CroatiaClick image for larger version. 

Name:	LJETNA ŠKOLA MANDOLINE.pdf 
Views:	136 
Size:	280.6 KB 
ID:	121049Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LJETNA ŠKOLA MANDOLINE.pdf 
Views:	136 
Size:	280.6 KB 
ID:	121049 to my works, either original compositions or arrangements. He and his colleagues Ivana Kenk and Stella Ivanisevic will be showcasing a great assortment of my mandolin works at that final performance at the local Franciscan Church.

The orchestra comprised of all attendees will be performing my arrangement of Mántzaros' Sinfonia-Overtura Nş 5, my (Ionian) Mandolinata in the ad libitum, five-voice arrangement, and my Concerto da camera, with Maestro Orlandi as the soloist.

Smaller, chamber ensembles will perform my Rondo Galante (referenced above, in its violin guise), my Trio Sonata "Seicento", and my Quartetto Classico Nş 2 ("Bells").

What a huge, HUGE honor and pleasure! I am absolutely certain the quality of the performances will be stellar. I hope the music-loving Croatian audiences enjoy each and every piece.

Three cheers to all!

Victor

P.S. Sorry about the dupe flyer; don't quite know how to shed it, and said scales and etudes are beckoning...

9. The following members say thank you to vkioulaphides for this post:

Yet more goodies of the same sort: this time a performance of my Toccata Scarlattiana at the Bortolazzi Festival; some here may know Raffaele La Ragione, a very fine, young Italian mandolinist.

Three cheers to Croats, Italians, and all.

Victor

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bortolazzi.pdf 
Views:	165 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	121055

Name:	Programma Toscolano 9GIU.PDF 
Views:	148 
Size:	590.0 KB 
ID:	121054

11. The following members say thank you to vkioulaphides for this post:

The "Italian connection" seems to be working overtime this summer as my Sinfonia a pizzico will be performed on August 2nd in Cividale (near Udine) by the Marzuttini Orchestra, directed by Ugo Orlandi.

I find that both wonderful and pleasantly surprising, considering how extensive and demanding this work really is; originally composed for and premiered by Het Consort of the Netherlands, it has been programmed so far (to the best of my knowledge) only by the equally studious and diligent Providence Mandolin Orchestra. A full-scale, four-movement, 25-minute long symphony demands a rehearsal regimen that few ensembles can commit to.

So I am delighted to see this particular piece appear on stage again.

Auguri!

Victor

Greetings, one and all— just back from that lovely place across the pond.

The fine mandolinists of Zákynthos, Greece's verdant fior di levante on the Ionian Sea, are honoring me with not one but two concerts this week, dedicated to my works. My gratitude is beyond words, so I'd rather say less than more. I simply attach some programs and flyers for all to see.

Maestro Ugo Orlandi provides much of the moving force behind this splendid festival of music and friendship, but of course each and every participant deserves all due credit for the music that will surely be played with much joy and spirit.

Cheers to one and all,

Victor

Name:	Zakynthos.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	122868

Name:	Skopos.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	114.9 KB 
ID:	122869

Name:	programmi zante.pdf 
Views:	139 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	122870

Victor: Well deserved congratulations to you. You are not staying over there to hear the two concerts?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks, Jim! Oh, my friend... I would soooooooooooooo have wished I could, but it was simply impossible— mind you, I was only three islands up from Zákynthos (i.e. in Corfu) up until only this past Friday! *sigh* But now we are already back in New York, and running around like the proverbial headless chickens.

Of course you have to bear in mind the elaborate "labor negotiations" that take place between colleagues at a university when time comes to coordinate vacations... speaking of which, I am at risk of a HUGE promotion shortly, so things may only get tighter and more pressure-ridden than ever before. Ah, well..

By the way, more on topic, young Russian virtuosa Natalia Marashova just informed me that she and her pianist Denis Ivanov will be performing my Rhapsody for Mandolin and Piano next week at the 44th Plectrum Festival of Rioja, Spain.

It has been a truly amazing, amazing summer...

Cheers to one and all,

Victor

I am honored and delighted to post three performances of my works at a recent Croatian mandolin festival led by Maestro Ugo Orlandi. I say no more, as the performances by those young musicians speak for themselves. I'm just too thrilled for words...

Cheers,

Victor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q8uHzIgkxA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D3MmF_TqtA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGJLKuyYq0U

Wonderful! And congrats to you Victor!

Best greetings, Alex.

Thanks, Alex. Truly wonderful, watching those young musicians tackle those very, very ambitious and demanding works that I wrote for Het Consort!

For those fortunate enough to be enjoying the mild, Athenian autumn, another bit of "musical foliage" may be the performance of my Rhapsody for Mandolin and Piano at the Estoudiantina on October 3rd.

Name:	estoudiantina2-page-001.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	124218

The performers will be mandolinists Dimitris Potamitis and pianist Vera Stravopodi. I only wish I could be there...

Cheers,

Victor

Autumn waxes poetic with a performance of my Desires are already memories on November 21st at Santa Teresa dei Maschi, in Bari's picturesque borgo antico in Italy. This composition was a commission on the theme of the Invisible Cities by Italian luminary author Italo Calvino. The wonderful performers will be mandolinist Mauro Squillante and guitarist Sante Tursi. I have yet to actually hear this piece, but that desire, too, has receded surreally into memory...

Cheers to both Mauro and Sante.

Victor
    Last edited by vkioulaphides; Oct-18-2014 at 5:08pm.

Blog Entries

We have a small concert coming up which is more old style mandolin orchestra rather than classical.
    However it is of note for mandolinists in the pokey-out toe of Britain so I thought I should include it here.

Mandolin Orchestra of Devon will be hosting a concert following a workshop day with Simon Mayor on November 8th.

In the workshop we will be preparing his arrangements of Buttermere Waltz and Elise Iza to present in the evening concert along with a new arrangement by Matt Norman of a traditional tune The Lilly, Tom's Dance by Mark Woodward, Vivaldi DMajor, Dill Pickles Rag, Fra LaRose and River Ockment by Matt Norman.
    The main feature will be a concert by Simon Mayor and Hilary James who are just excellent.

If you are in the area it would be great to see you in Okehampton on the 8th.
    H
    ere's a JPG of the poster I ran up for the event;

Name:	concert.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	125356
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

22. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

derbex 

Hello Everyone!

I am very excited to announce the premier of my new “Double Concerto” for Mandolin, Violin and Orchestra with the Roanoke Symphony Orchestra in Virginia. Violinist Akemi Takayama will join me and RSO conductor and music director David Stewart Wiley for these concerts. The Sunday, November 9th concert is at 3:00PM and Monday, November 10th concert is at 7:30PM. Both are at the Jefferson Center in Roanoke, VA. The Tuesday, November 11th concert is at the new Center For The Arts at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, VA. The concerts include Bizet’s Farandole and Beethoven’s Symphony No. 6.

If you can’t get to Virginia, the concert will be rebroadcast on WVTF http://wvtf.org Saturday, November 15th at 1:00PM. (Eastern Standard Time)

Thanks!

Jeff

(http://www.rso.com/concerts/m2.html)

https://artscenter.vt.edu/Online/

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jsmando For This Useful Post:

Mark Davis (classical guitar) and I (mandolin) will be giving a concert this Sunday at 3 PM at the Hingham Library, Hingham MA. Admission is free (donation requested). In recognition that the Library is remembering the 100th anniversary of the start of WWI, the first half of the concert features mandolin and guitar music from the early 20th century (Calace, De Falla, and others). The second half is devoted to contemporary music, and will feature a performance of a sonata for solo mandolin written for me recently by Philip DeWalt, along with solo guitar music by Frank Wallace performed by Mark. Together we will also play an iconic work of 1980s German "new age" mandolin music, "Himmel uber Kyoto" by Wolfgang Condin (for mandolin and guitar). Program notes are attached.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hingham Davis-Margo November 2014.pdf 
Views:	188 
Size:	264.1 KB 
ID:	126495
    Robert A. Margo

For anyone who may be in, or around Bari this weekend...

Name:	invisible cities.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	126595

Mauro Squillante is an artist of the highest order; it was both an honor and a pleasure for me to write my Desires are already memories for him and his guitarist partner.

Cheers,

Victor

I think there is a typo on that flyer misspelling Mauro's last name. I wish I could be in Bari right now.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hi all,

Just to let you know about one of our SPECIAL CONCERTS that is sheduled for Wednesday, December 10th, 2014, starting at 20.00 hours in the Doopsgezinde Kerk (Church) in Zwolle, Netherlands.

"FERDINAND BINNENDIJK & FRIENDS"

And these friends are the counter tenor Sytse Buwalda, Saskia Spinder on classical guitar, the pianist Laurens de Man ánd, of course, all the musicians of The Dutch Mandolin Chamber Orchestra Het CONSORT!

A choice of wonderful compositions in which a special role for the mandolin will be presented with a program starting with a 'new-old' Mozart composition for string orchestra performed Het CONSORT; The wonderful Divertimento in F (Allegro-Andante- Presto) by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, the Concerto per Mandolino e Strumenti (Allegro-Largo-Allegro) by Antonio Vivaldi, and - by popular request - 'The Japanese Autumn' by Yasuo Kuwahara.

Also on special request, Ferdinand will perform Carlo Munier's 'Capriccio Spagnuolo' for mandolin and guitar with guitarist Saskia Spinder.

To further show what a mandolin can sound as a real concert instrument, the Concerto No. I (all movements ánd in its original mandolin and piano setting!) will be performed by Ferdinand Binnendijk and his pianist Laurens de Man.

And last but by all means not least, Ferdinand will appear in a true chamber music atmosphere playing the humorous "Dierkundige oefeningen van Trijntje Fop" (Zoological exercises by Trijntje Fop) by the Dutch composer Julius Röntgen with Sytse Buwalda and Saskia Spinder, the Asteria Ensemble.

A real "Tour de Force" indeed; but a very interesting one!

Especially notable because Ferdinand Binnendijk will perform all these compositions on the 1933 Luigi Embergher Concert Mandolin that was owned and cherished so much by Alison Stephens (1970-2010) of whom we all had to part too soon.

Therefore; If you are in, or near, the Netherlands, don't hesitate to come by and hear this special concert.

You are all so welcome!

Best greetings,

Alex.

Name:	deze 4.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	243.4 KB 
ID:	126683
    Last edited by Alex Timmerman; Nov-21-2014 at 4:25pm.

29. The following members say thank you to Alex Timmerman for this post:

Hi all,

I like to inform you all about our next concert in the STATENZAAL of the Publick Library in Zwolle (Diezerstraat 80, 8011 RJ - Zwolle), Netherlands, on Monday Dec. 29th, starting at 16.30hours.
    It is a concert in the series of the STADKAMER FESTIVAL.

You are all very welcome!

Best greetings,

Alex.

Name:	Internet poster Stadkamer concert.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	128043

Hello everyone,

The Baltimore Mandolin Orchestra will be presenting a concert honoring the mandolin music of Jonathan Jensen. The concert will consist solely of music composed or arranged by Jonathan. The performance will feature the Baltimore Mandolin Orchestra, the Baltimore Mandolin Quartet and soprano Beatrice Gilbert.

Name:	jensen color.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	132796

The concert will take place on Sunday, April 26, 2015, at 4:00 p.m. at the Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic Church, 8501 Loch Raven Boulevard, in Towson (Baltimore), Maryland. For details about the concert, see the Mandolin Cafe calendar listing at:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/ca...=2015-4-26&c=1

Here's the program:

Name:	program.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	132797

Hope to see you there.

32. The following members say thank you to jblanchard for this post: