Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Default Re: Mandolin Concerts of Note

A group of us from the British BMG Federation will be performing as the "BMG Ensemble" at the Eurofestival Zupfmusik in Bruchsal, Germany.

This event is on from the 29th May to the 1st June 2014 and is possibly the biggest "plucked music" festivals in Europe. It will have mandolin orchestras, ensembles and solo players from Germany, Britain, Israel, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Czech Republic, France, Finland. Australia and the USA.

A few individuals among others I will say who will be there are, Carlo Aonzo, Brian Oberlin, Chris Acquovella & Steffi Rauch.

As ever there is a website to visit if interested www.eurofestival-zupfmusik.de
    Regards,
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clausen View Post
    Thank you for that, Jeff. Great piece and a super performance! Nice to hear such a convincing meeting of two different musical worlds, and with mandolin in a real virtuoso solo role.

I'm left wondering if you bring your own concertmaster when you perform the concerto. The demands made on the solo violinist seem to be above and beyond what orchestral players are expected to do. The whole orchestra rose to the occasion, and the audience loved it. Glad you're getting more chances to present the piece.

Thanks Bruce!

Actually, the orchestra's concertmasters have been playing the solos and so far they've all been great! It's fun to hear the differences between their playing. Last month in Boulder the concertmaster, Chas Wetherbee, absolutely nailed it!

I'm currently working on a new Double Concerto for Mandolin and Violin and that's going to be a whole different situation!

Thanks for listening!

Jeff

Hi all,

I like to inform you about one of our up-coming concerts; the DOUBLE CONCERT by the New American Mandolin Ensemble NAME & The Dutch Mandolin Chamber Orchestra HET CONSORT.

Programmed are i.e. compositions by Antonio Vivaldi, Egberto Gismonti, Victor Kioulaphides, Clarice Assad
    Michel Bosc and Jan Bartlema.

Begijnhof 48
    1012 WV AMSTERDAM

Starting at 15:15 uur
    Entrence €10,-

Information: engelsekerkconcerten@chello.nl
    Phone: 020 - 624 9665

WELCOME ALL!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HET CONSORT and Name 1.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	220.4 KB 
ID:	119178

4. The following members say thank you to Alex Timmerman for this post:

I will be there in spirit...

Three cheers, and to both ensembles!

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

6. The following members say thank you to vkioulaphides for this post:

But first there is this concert in the very heart of our hometown Zwollywood! :-) We'll play a Family concert in the wonderful 'Statenzaal' (the Library Concerthall). Location: Diezestraat 80 in Zwolle Centrum.

Wednesday, May 28th, starting at 20.00 hours - a 'Family' concert by Het CONSORT for 'young and old' in the wonderful 'Statenzaal' (the Library Concerthall) in the Diezestraat 80 in Zwolle.

Programmed are the famous Double Concerto for 2 Mandolins and Orchestra by Antonio Vivaldi and the Concert for Guitar and Mandolin Orchestra by the Dutch composer Chris Mouter. The soloists in these compositions are the mandolinists Sebastiaan de Grebber and Ferdinand Binnendijk and the guitarist Tom Edskes.

Scheduled are also original compositions for harp and mandolin that will be performed by the Duo Stringendo; Annegreet Rouw (harp) and Ferdinand Binnendijk (mandolin).

Besides these works the program shows music by Victor Kioulaphides (première) en de Italiaanse componist Giuseppe Manente.

Everybody is very welcome. The entrance is 5 Euro.

Name:	Oude-Statenzaal.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	261.1 KB 
ID:	119266

8. The following members say thank you to Alex Timmerman for this post:

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Currently in Athens for a couple of days before heading off on a cruise around the Aegean tomorrow, and annoyingly there is a concert at the Folk Instrument Museum ( which we will be visiting this morning) tomorrow by the mandolin ensemble Atticus, which we will miss! Tomorrow is International Museum Day or some such celebration.

Cheers

G

Have a great time in my hometown, Graham! That museum is such a sweet spot, right in the shadow of the Acropolis, by the Aérides, the "Temple of the Winds", overlooking the Roman forum. I was there myself this past February, along with Margriet and her husband, who were in town from the Netherlands.

ATTIKA is in fact the group I delivered my latest "baby" to (see relevant thread) only a week ago. The roots run deep, so to speak. On May 21st they are premiering a concert-aria of mine for tenor and plucked orchestra at the Archaeological Museum of Athens. So yes, there is in fact some broader celebration of museums around this time.

Cheers,

Victor

Tonight in Athens— that would have been a great starting line for a romantic novel, no? — ATTIKA will premiere my concert aria for tenor and plucked orchestra titled Alla mia bella insensibile, a setting of an Italian-language poem by Dionysios Solomós, famed in Greece as the author of our national anthem, Hymn to Liberty.

The performance will be in the Archaeological Museum of Athens, and will feature along my own, short work a number of fine compositions.

Three cheers to ATTIKA!

Victor

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vkioulaphides For This Useful Post:

I was very happy to hear that the performance yesterday by tenor Yiannis Christopoulos and ATTIKA was extremely well received. The venue of course is a most impressive space, the so called Temple Room of the Archaeological Museum of Athens; it was filled over capacity, with much of the audience standing for about an hour and a half, listening to plucked instruments— are we still feeling like underdogs?

For now, I attach a beautiful photo from the event; the performance was recorded, so some posting on YouTube will be coming in the near future...

Three cheers for Yiannis and ATTIKA!

Victor

Name:	ATTIKA, Christopoulos_21May14.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	122.9 KB 
ID:	119510

Thanks Victor,

For the up-date of the ATTIKA concert.
    Indeed three cheers for them ánd you!

Best, Alex.

Always happy to share such good news.

Yet again a case of "the gift that keeps on giving": just today this little piece will be heard yet again, this time at the Croatian International Mandolin Festival Mandolina Imota; the orchestra is from Sloga, Zagreb; Josip Oreskovic is its director— nice fellow, too!

[My dreadful deficiency in Slavonic languages may have led me to misstate the proper names of the festival and the ensemble, but I hope I'm forgiven for my ignorance.]

Cheers,

Victor

As far as I am concerned (mandolin enthusiast that I am) every concert featuring the mandolin is "of note"; on that note, then, today there are not one but two performances of my works!

Vivienne Weller is performing my Studio Fiorillesco at the TIM Competition in London, while our Café friend Margriet Greydanus is giving the world premiere of my Carillon along with De Grote Markt in the Netherlands.

The more, the merrier!

Cheers,

Victor

17. The following members say thank you to vkioulaphides for this post:

Hi dear Victor,

Look here and listen; One of your latest works in première - beautiful and lovely as always!
    And very well performed by the tenor Yiannis Christopoulos and the ATTIKA mandolin ensemble!

Thanks for the music, Maestro!

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Alex Timmerman For This Useful Post:

Ah, yes, dear Alex! Thank you!

In the past few days there has been a consortial celebration by all the very many, and most impressive museums in Greece; as part of those celebrations, the venerable Archaeological Museum of Athens hosted a performance by Attika, a truly excellent orchestra of plucked instruments— a wonderful thing, in and of itself, to see plucked instruments presented in such a spectacular manner to the public at large!

One of the works featured on Attika's program was my concert aria titled Alla mia bella insensibile, a setting of an Italian-language poem by Dionysios Solomós, famed in Greece as the author of the country's national anthem. The composition itself is a modest concert aria, written from the heart in the bel canto aesthetic that was contemporary to Solomós' poetry; I put pen to paper thinking of Bellini and his sublimely simple, simply sublime songs, known and loved around the world.

I was deeply honored to have this little song of mine given its world premiere under such auspicious circumstances, and I hope you will all agree with me that this was a absolutely splendid performance, the sort of experience that composers live for; both the young tenor and the orchestra that accompanied him gave an unforgettable reading of my score, and I could ask for nothing more, or nothing better than this interpretation. The glorious Altar Room of the museum provides a unique and striking backdrop...

In short, I couldn't be happier.

Three cheers to Yiannis Christopoulos and Attika!

Victor
    Last edited by vkioulaphides; May-26-2014 at 4:56pm.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vkioulaphides For This Useful Post:

Registered User attikaorchestra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh, Victor

Once again it' s not you the reason of a very nice work - it' s only the performers! But please, accept our thanks for finding this very nice poem and writing such sensitive and sweet music on this. The pleasure is ours, as well as our friend' s Yiannis Christopoulos, who we should say that is the most talented and famous Greek tenor today. Looking forward listening (and playing) of so special music of today's composers!

All the best to all of you!

Kind Regards,
    for ATTIKA Plucked String Orchestra
    Anna Psyllaki

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attikaorchestra For This Useful Post:

The people here loved both your pieces, Victor! They were listening very quietly. We are not far from Groningen and the market place De Grote Markt in the center of the town is well-known. A man was listening with his eyes closed; afterwards he thanked me and said that he could imagine well everything. This painting - in sound - fitted very well in the project of arts in our village that day. (and the noises of the surroundings , like traffic and coffee-machine mixed along )

Thank you !
    Margriet

25. The following members say thank you to Margriet for this post:

Thank you, Attika, Victor!

It is great, i enjoyed it a lot and wished I was there. Looking forward to hearing you a next time !

Margriet

27. The following members say thank you to Margriet for this post:

In the meanwhile, I was just told by Josip Oreskovic, the director of the Croatian ensemble Sloga of Zagreb, that their own performances of my little aria were also very well received. I couldn't be happier.

Cheers to all, Greeks, Croats, and mandolinists in general.

Victor

Quite the delightful coincidence: Ugo Orlandi just wrote to tell me that he will spending yet another "working vacation" in Zákynthos, the southernmost and most verdant of Greece's beautiful Ionian Islands. As part of that visit, he will be performing my little concert-aria at the most "topical" location ever: Solomós Square! (He was our national poet, after all...)

I reasonably anticipate a proud and emotional audience.

Cheers,

Victor

Good morning, all.

I was just informed that next Monday Italian mandolinist Raffaele La Ragione and his duo partner will be performing my Toccata Scarlattiana at the Bortolazzi Festival. I believe that Raffaele is/was a pupil of Ugo Orlandi, and a member of the Citta di Brescia mandolin orchestra.

I will share details as I find out...

Not to spill the beans but there's more on Scarlatti and Yours Truly coming down the pike. More on that, anon.

Cheers,

Victor

Ha Victor and all,

Wonderful to hear that there are so many mandolinists are taking up and performing your music!
    And for orchestra, one more performance can almost be added to have taken place in Amsterdam:
    Tomorrow in the afternoon the New American Mandolin Ensemble & Het CONSORT will, as one orchestra, perform your wonderful gem of a piece - the 'Follia Piazzollesca' - in the English Church at the Begijnhof, right in the very heart of Amsterdam!

So, Maestro Kioulaphides, you'll be with us through your music!
    In fact, I wish you all could be with us!

Best greetings to all here and I'll keep you informed,

Alex.

Name:	The New American Mandolin Ensemble NAME   &    HET CONSORT.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	120141
    Last edited by Alex Timmerman; Jun-06-2014 at 6:30pm.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex Timmerman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Timmerman View Post
    In fact, I wish you all could be with us!
    Ah, so do I, dear friend, so do I...

Cheers,

Victor

Hello all,

It really hase been a great concert yesterday. And what a joy it was for me to work with both NAME and Het CONSORT as one large orchestra!

Both compositions, Victor Kioulaphides' Follia Piazzollesca and MANDOLIVE by Jan Bartlema, went very, very fine - if I may say so myself .

Really a performance that received a long and enthousiast applause by a wonderful public.

Best greetings to you all, Alex.

PS. Here is a photo of both orchestras in action together!

Name:	Mooi.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	120234

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alex Timmerman For This Useful Post:

Yesterday, 8 June, we had a nice concert in Rome, Italy. It was the last of 5 weekends of the Early Mandolin Academy, organized by Mauro Squillante, Davide Rebuffa and Andrea Damiani, in cooperation with F.I.M.A.
    This sunday the auditorium of Santa Cecilia had a kind of " open day" and so did the museum of musical instruments, with a nice collection of historical plucked instruments. There is the heritage of queen Marguerite of Savoye. The teachers gave a lecture, a demonstration and a concert and in the afternoon we had a student's concert. The instruments of the museum could be seen.
    During the course we learned to play the 4-5-6- courses mandolino from the 17th and 18th century, tuned in quarts and with gut strings, that is played with the right hand fingers. Also we played the Early Neapolitan mandolin, with 4 courses, tuned in fifths, metal strings, a bit like the modern mandolin. Though it is tuned the same, the way of playing is quite different. The strings are different and there is lower tension, softer sound, but with more sustain and different plectrum. We played repertoire that was meant for these mandolins and that could have been played by them.
    I have enjoyed this course and the playing of these mandolins a lot !

Here are some photos. You see Mauro with a copy of a liuto a penne. And an example of tablature for it. Also a copy of one of the early mandolin of Gaspar Ferrari ( 1731), that is in the collection of the museum. The others are early ( copies of) Roman mandolino' s and Early Neapolitan. I play an early French one, probably from the first half of the 19th century. It is a bit in- between: same kind of head and bowl, pegs, strings, but with a fretboard on the neck.

At the program were pieces of Colista, P.P. Cappelini, Corelli, Sammartini, Barbella en anonymous.

There was quite a lot of people at the concerts and this way more people got to know about the mandolin ( family) and her history.

Name:	Barbella4auditorium.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	120260Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tabulatura liuta a penne 1.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	120261Click image for larger version. 

Name:	teacher' s concert2.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	120262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	teacher's concert 3.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	120263

Margriet

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Margriet For This Useful Post:

Hi all,

This wonderful piece by Giuseppe Manente was one of the works we performed last Saturday in the English Church in Amsterdam (June 7th).

Enjoy!

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alex Timmerman For This Useful Post: