Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 12345627 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Quote Originally Posted by (jgarber @ Nov. 11 2005, 16:55)
    Is it possible that he is playing a historically correct mandolino? Do you have a web site for this info, BTW?
    I don't know in the former case--I've not known Carlo to use such a thing in the past (even on the Sauli partita, e.g.)--and no in the latter (this came to me via e-mail).

Eugene:
    Pardon my ignorance about these early variants (I am not at home nor near a copy of Sparks) ... what about the mandolino Genovese he used on the Paganini recording?

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Given some of the pedal effects and the lay of arpeggios, it just seems so natural to fingerstyle in g-to-g" tuning. I would guess (but don't really know) Carlo might be playing from the published edition that had the continuo fully realized for keyboard and edited the solo line to make it functional in Neapolitan tuning.

Hi Jim,

There is this info at the back of the CD box: for the Paganini compositions Carlo Aonzo uses an original Genuese mandolin made in the 2nd half 18th Century.
    It's tuning is like that of the guitar, only an octave higher : e-a-d'-g'-b'-e''. The strings are played with a quill.

The guitar was made by the Neapolitan maker Gaetano De Grado in 1802 and played here by Sandro Volta.

There is a vague (mirror image) photo #of the Genuese mandolin Carlo uses, at the back of the CD box. #

It is a very nice CD, by the way.

Best,

Alex

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scannen0002.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	11760  

Of course, my point was that the Genovese/Genoese/Genoise/Genuese that Carlo used on his Paganini disc isn't really any better suited to the Sammartini/San Martino sonata than the Neapolitan; I should have been more clear. For the benefit of others, I was going to refer to Carlo's old web page on mandolino Genovese, but it looks like a new site is up that I'm hoping is about to be populated by new material. Is that your work, Jim?

Eugene:
    Yes you are correct. We are in the process of updating the site and the old files are not directly available. You can reach the old page on Mandolino Genovese.

Thanks for clearing up that question. BTW I hope ot have the crucial parts of the site online soon. It was woefully out of date and confusing. Hoepfully it will be a big improvement.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Here is what Carlo says:
    Quote Originally Posted by
    The first half of that concert is dedicated to the mandolin music of the early '700.

The right instrument for that period and area is the 'narrow bodied' instrument with gut strings tuned G B E A D G like Stradivari mandolino or mandolins of the early Roman school.
    Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Indeed (although the known Strads were b to g", of course), but I've never known Carlo to use such an instrument. #I wrote to ask what mandolin he would be using for the first half of the program.

[QUOTE]"I have one coming up. I'll be playing The Gaudioso (a.k.a Caudioso) Mandolin Concerto at the Mannes Guitar Ensemble Concert in New York:
    Adam Tully, Mandolin"

Rats! I knew it: for me, a "night at the opera"— and I do mean that literally.

Will any other, more fortunate Café-folk be able to make Adam's promising performance? My 7:30-10:30 engagement precludes any hope... Please cheer on my behalf, too.
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

I will try to make that concert on the 16th, but that will be a pretty heavy-duty weekend for us. We will see. I would love to make it.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Well, I sadly certainly won't be in NY on 16 December, nor will I be in Italy on 16 November...but I do have word that Carlo will be performing the whole of his concert on some Neapolitan mandolin, I'd guess his Pandini.

Ali Stephens informed me that she and Craig Ogden (guitar) will be playing and chatting live on BBC Radio 3 in England on Tues, Nov 29th. The show runs #from 5:30-7pm English time (12:30-2pm East Coast US time?).
    www.bbc.co.uk then click on Radio and then Radio 3.

You may need RealPlayer to listen.

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Michael Hooper posted this on another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by
    Just to let you know that on Friday, 16 December I will be playing some Vivaldi trios, one by Boni and some Morley Duets as part of the University of York music department's lunchtime concert series from 1pm. Jack Lyons Concert Hall.

Michael
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

For anyone interested and available, the Emerald City Mandolin Quartet will be live on KUOW-fm radio 94.9 in Seattle, this Wednesday, November 30, on 'The Beat' at 2PM, PST.

KUOW also streams live on the internet at http://www.kuow.org/listen_live.asp.

Guess I better go practice... #
    -Alan

Congrats! I will try to tune in...

And no worries about the 16th guys-- maybe next time. I actually have something exciting coming up in the spring which I will post soon.

Here is one coming up SOON in New York-- my friend Dan Lippel- an excellent guitarist who does a great job doubling on mandolin will be playing a new piece for plucked quartet. The piece he is on is for 2 mandos, guitar and banjo. I am going to try to make it:

Music of Dina Koston

"...iridescent..." The New York Times
    "...this work fascinates...magical..." The Washington Post

Cygnus Ensemble
    December 11, 2005 at Zankel Hall 7:30PM
    tickets at Carnegie Charge

with Leon Fleisher, piano
    with Kathy Jacobsen, piano
    Joan Forsyth, piano
    Patricia Green, soprano

Quartet for Plucked Strings
    Quartet for Strings, Bowed and Plucked
    Messages for solo piano
    Trio Basso
    In Memory of Jeannette Walters
    Piccolo Trio
    Homage to Kurtag
    Wordplay

http://www.cygnusensemble.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by (Eugene @ Oct. 08 2005, 20:00)
    Down from the mandometropolis of Milwaukee, Stas Venglevski (bayan/accordion) and Mikhail Litvin (mandolin) will be performing on the City Music Columbus chamber music series 4 December 2005, 2 pm at the Elevator Brewery and Draught Haus, Columbus, OH. #That should be stellar good fun.

I will be playing just a little bit of mandolin, rather simple little accompaniment bits I've concocted, at three holiday concerts with The Magpie Consort: 9, 10, and 14 December 2005. #Most of what I do with them will be on guitar...but I did manage to weasel a little mandolin into the mix. #See their web site for detail.
    Just a reminder that these bits are looming on the immediate horizon.

For those who missed the BBC broadcast yesterday featuring Ali Stephens and Cragi Ogden, you can still listen to it here. Click on the date of the show 29 November on the right hand side.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Historic Old St. Paul's Tuesday Music Series
    Free Concert
    Date: Tuesday, #December 13, 2005
    Time: 12:15 p.m. to 12:45 p.m.
    Duo Dolce
    Jonathan Rudie, mandolin and Jeff Doll, guitar.
    Old St. Paul's Church
    Corner of Charles and Saratoga Streets
    Baltimore, Maryland
    410-685-3404

http://www.osp1692.org/tms.htm
    Click here: Tuesday Music Series at Old St. Paul's, Baltimore<a href="http://www.osp1692.org/tms/htm" target="_blank"></a>

Jonathan R.

Jonathan:
    hey, you changed your nom de cafe. What's up wioth that. And why not Embergher or 5-bis?

Good luck on your concert!!

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Hi Jim,

I was having computer problems and have been unable to sign on the cafe message board under my old nom de cafe "grazioso" So I opted for re-registering and Vinaccia was available.
    Jonathan R.

For those who are interested, here is some information about the New Year's Concert of my orchestra La Napolitaine, on 14th January 2006.
    Antwerp(Belgium) is of course too far away for most of you, but I thought it would be nice to let you know anyway.

On the program:
    - Concerto N°1 (op.113) (CALACE)
    - Capriccio (GAL)
    - Colondene (PAKENHAM)
    - Canto d'Estate (RANIERI)

More information can be found on our website www.mandolin.be (click on the yellow banner)

Best,
    Ralf.

[QUOTE]"Antwerp(Belgium) is of course too far away for most of you..."

Not necessarily, Ralf. My experience has been that it is usually harder for me to get to the other side of MANHATTAN than across an ocean or two.

But by early January I will be just getting back from the Caribbean— all sun-tanned and most definitely NOT happy to be back in the cold. Then I am signed up to attend the annual conference of Chamber Music America, plus I do want my wife and daughter to remember what I look like!

Do, however, keep posting your upcoming performances here. Hey, you never know...

Cheers,

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Quote Originally Posted by (vkioulaphides @ Nov. 30 2005, 20:06)
    ... I am signed up to attend the annual conference of Chamber Music America...
    I hope you'll give us a full report, Victor. Alas, my schedule's such that I can't attend this time, though I've no doubt you'll bear the mando-mantle well for those of us who can't be in NYC in January. #

-Allen.
    Dayton Mandolin Orchestra: http://DaytonMandolin.net/
    Midwest Mandolin Quartet: http://DaytonMandolin.net/MMQ/

Just a brief reminder: (The program will include works by Erik Satie, Maurice Ravel, Bedrich Smentana, Munier, Calace, and others)

Historic Old St. Paul's Tuesday Music Series
    Free Concert
    Date: Tuesday, #December 13, 2005
    Time: 12:15 p.m. to 12:45 p.m.
    Duo Dolce
    Jonathan Rudie, mandolin and Jeff Doll, guitar.
    Old St. Paul's Church
    Corner of Charles and Saratoga Streets
    Baltimore, Maryland
    410-685-3404

http://www.osp1692.org/tms.htm
    Click here: Tuesday Music Series at Old St. Paul's, Baltimore<a href="http://www.osp1692.org/tms/htm" target="_blank"></a>
    Jonathan R.

It was good to hear Jonathan in concert in this fabulous old church. A pretty good draw for a mid-day brief mando-opportunity, marred by a somewhat volatile 2 year old, whose interest shifted from music to toy trucks; but I did manage to extract him and hear most of the performance. Incidentally, this permitted me to audit the performance from several locations within the venue.

It was noteworthy that the mandolin (an old Vinaccia) was easily able to make itself clearly heard throughout the church, with mo problem hearing the softest notes. The guitar's projection was a bit less clearly pronounced in the more quiet passages. I assume that the stone architecture favored the brighter tones of the wire-strung mandolin over the softer nylon-strung guitar.

This was a moderately sized church, of the old school, with vaulted ceilings and lots of stone. To hear a little bowlback fill the multi-thousand cubic foot expanse was a real surprise to me.

The playing, needless to say, was excellent. (Can I say superb, with my total lack of credentials and vast ignorance? Probably not, but I would if I could). Being somewhat distracted by said trucker, I was not able to give as much attention as I'd have liked to the music, but I'd have been willing for the experience to go on for considerably longer than the scant half-hour or so we were privileged to hear.