Thread: Richard Durrant Tenor Course?

Registered User Christine Robins's Avatar

Default Richard Durrant Tenor Course?

Has anyone taken his 24-lesson online course for CGDA tenors? I'm not aware of any other online TG instruction program.

Default Re: Richard Durrant Tenor Course?

It is common courtesy to provide a link to the topic you start.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Christine Robins For This Useful Post:

I, too, am interest in this. If you start to take this course, please post your impressions. Thanks.

I'm interested, as I'm always willing to learn something new, but the website didn't give any details of how one views the course. I'm not engaged enough to run that down....
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

I decided to check out the course myself, using his free 7-day trial version.

Bottom Line: I can't recommend it to anyone reading this. It's clearly designed for someone who has never played an instrument tuned in 5ths.

He plays a small-bodied instrument, standing up (with a strap). He never addresses playing a full-sized instrument, or how to hold it while sitting down. Worse, his PDFs of tunes and exercises are all in bass clef, with no tab. Finally, the difficulty level jumps around a lot. One minute he's explaining what a major scale is, the next minute he wants you to play a Bach cello prelude.

I'm continuing to work through Mark Phillips' Tenor Guitar Method from Hal Leonard. It's systematic, comprehensive, and has both treble-clef notation and tab.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Christine Robins For This Useful Post:

Sounds like he just did the course off-the-cuff, instead of starting with a clear vision of his target audience and an organized pedagogical approach to teaching that audience. It's an all-too-common problem in these current "everybody has an e-course" times.

Thanks, Christine, for taking the plunge and gathering info for us!

Ouch, not nice.
    I’m feeling that if anyone wants to discover more, they can try out the seven day free trial, and if the course doesn’t appeal to them they can go and try something else.

We’re all learning here.