Thread: Jerry Capehart

Default Jerry Capehart

Hello, I am new here and I have acquired a number of instruments and parts from Jerry Capehart's estate. He was a well known manager of Eddie Cochran and a songwriter. ("Summertime Blues" and others by Glen Campbell, etc.).
    Part of the collection is a beautiful 8 string Ukulele, (or whatever it is called), a 12 string bowl back mandolin with inlaid "M S" design on the top, and a number of German fiddles, two of them in very old varnished wood cases. Also lots of old strings by Gretsch and Black Diamond, even a few Martin for mandolin, banjo and guitar. Also old parts like guitar Bridges, old tuning keys, violin parts, some Banjo hardware, most of it looks like very old vintage parts.
    I am trying to find out what this lot may be worth as I intend to sell it, so I am looking for opinions from you experts.
    Pictures will be posted soon.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Jerry Capehart

It would take an descriptive, itemized list to tell. May not be worth whatever you paid, or maybe more. To someone.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

3. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

I've seen people sell misc musical lots on eBay with pictures and a list. Depending on condition, etc., -- you might find a buyer. I'm not sure the Jerry Capehart connection would make much difference, IMHO. As far as price, you might come out ahead to list items for sale individually, but it is a tremendous amount of work to list and ship a bunch of little pieces. OTOH, you may have some rare tuners or tailpieces, sometimes those items will go for good money. Post a picture and see what the forum thinks. Good luck.

Eight-string ukuleles are often called "taropatches." The 12-string mandolin, or "mandriola," is often found in this country made by Oscar Schmidt in NJ; check that inlay to see if it's not "O S."

I'd visit a vintage instrument dealer and see what they tell you. Many of them sell "ephemera," like old string packages, pictures, printed stuff, as well as parts for restorations. You might get an offer. Pictures, of the instruments at least, are pretty necessary to get informed responses on the Cafe.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

trying to attach pictures but no luck.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

still no luck. The above thread instructions do not work, there is no option to add images even after clicking on Go Advanced.

Sorry I posted the wrong link. Try this video tutorial: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...=1#post1784587
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JoseM. View Post
    still no luck. The above thread instructions do not work, there is no option to add images even after clicking on Go Advanced.
    Video tutorial on how to post with images: https://vimeo.com/33795824

NOTE: you must be logged in.

11. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

in my phone, I found out that I have to click on FULL SITE to show the advanced menu.
    Here's some pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220809_095541~2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	530.7 KB 
ID:	202631

Jose: Glad you figured out how to upload photos.

The 12 string mandolin may very well have been built for another company by Oscar Schmidt though I am not sure what the company would be: either M&S or S&M.

The smaller instrument is a flattop mandolinetto basically still a mandolin but built for steel strings on small guitar like body.

Neither is worth lots of money even with a Jerry Capehart association.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Just for reference, the 12 string is almost identical to my Schmidts - I have two. Headstock shape, aluminum tuner buttons, same pickguard outline and tailpiece. The binding and soundhole inlays differ. No idea what vintage mine are, but there are stamped numbers on the very end of the headstock, so yours might have a number. Mine are 15,000-16,000, so that’s a clue that there were lots of them built, even if the number of digits is misleading.
    To my ears these things sound good, with the triple strings adding some depth to the tone, and neither one has folded under the increased string pressure. I understand that technique with triples has to be a bit different.
    I may not have kept a record, but neither of mine cost more than about $50 online, in pretty good condition.

You can research instruments marked ‘the Vernon’ on this site. That’s a model line, not a manufacturer, and probably not rare either.

As a side note: those OS mandriolas sound pretty cool if you string them with some octave strings on the lower two courses. They were built heavier to withstand the extra tension. And yes, OS seems too have made thousands of them over years. A few other companies in the US and Europe made them but the vast majority of these in the US show up with the OS monogram.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Your mandolinetto was most likely made by the Regal company. Yours is identical to the Regal “guitar-mandola” styles 212 and 214; the exact model depending on the type of wood it’s made from. According to Bob Carlin’s excellent book on Regal Instruments, they were made from 1901-1932. A cool little instrument. You should think about selling it on the Cafe classifieds and then donate 2% to help keep the Cafe in operation - much cheaper and cooler than contributing to the eBay behemoth.

Thank you all for the opinions. I really appreciate your input.

At this point, I don't want to sell them. What I want is a Nut and a Bridge for the 12 string because I hve become very curious about it.

I am a guitar player and I know how to fix guitars and such but cutting a nut and a bridge saddle in such a miniature scale, is not going to happen.
    There are 4 ebony nuts in the parts box and a bunch of 6-string Bridges, but none with the proper neck width for the 12 string or the correct bridge either.

The 12 string Nut needs to be 1.25" inch wide, the Bridge base 3 and 7/8 inches.

There is a serial number stamped on the edge of the headstock crown: 1857.

There are two initials carved on the rear of the headstock between the 12 tuning keys: "M. K.".

The 8 string The Vernon is in absolute perfect condition and has a beaitiful patina, no cracked wood, warped neck, nothing.
    I certainly would not sell that relic for $50. as I also collect antiques.

If any of you can make me a Nut and Bridge for the 12 string, I will consider you a Genius, because I find it impossible to make 12 string notches in a 1.25" wide nut.
    Again many thanks! Here's another antique, a May Bell parlor guitar.

Name:	IMG_20220809_101031~2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	202650

Frankly if you are capable of making a nut for a guitar I am sure you can make one for your mandriola. If not contact Jake Wildwood in Vermont. He made a nut and bridge for this one: https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...-mandolin.html
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

wow! that mandriola is identical to the.one I have except for the Pickguard design.
    Thanks i will contact Wildwood.

And another wow!
    Hadn’t looked at Jake’s post, attached. This solves or at least begins to explain an oddity I saw last year on an auction site where the OS monogram was reversed, as it is on this one! I couldn’t understand it, and mentioned it here. The celluloid color was also different, and I wondered if it was some sort of repair.
    But now I know: a skilled but possibly less-literate guy in New Jersey a century ago was able to put the pickguard in upside down!
    How’s that for identifying a specific craftsman?

Name:	B60734BD-E737-4ECE-9A99-478438ADD584.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	7.74 MB 
ID:	202657

yes but mine is a M and a S, not a O.

Well at least that is what I see, I can't see an O, I see a M. Or do I need new eyeglasses?

Instruments labeled "Vernon" were generally sold by the large distributor C. Bruno & Sons; they were made by a variety of US builders in the early-mid 20th century, and labeled for Bruno to sell. I'll yield to the ID above that it's probably Regal-made.

Concur that your mandriola is marked "M S." However, as Richard500 states, its construction and ornamentation are very close to those made by Oscar Schmidt in NJ; these had very similar inlaid pickguards with "O S" inlaid. I'd speculate that Schmidt made this one for another music store or dealer, and obtained a different inlay pattern with the seller's initials. Who "M S" was, I dunno.

You've got a couple of interesting, if not hugely valuable, instruments. It's great that you're thinking of restoring and playing 'em, rather than selling. I'd caution you to use light-gauge strings; even the sturdy mandriola will be handling a good deal of string tension.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Allen thanks for response.

Fortunately there are many Gretsch strngs for mandolin, banjo, violin, and guitar that came with the insruments package. I agree about light gauge for the Mandriola.
    Still need to find someone to fabricate a correct nut and bridge for it, they are missing.
    I contacted Wildwood in Vermont but no reply so far.
    I'm thinking Elderly instruments or Stewmac.

24. The following members say thank you to JoseM. for this post: