Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this really a Gibson?

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Is this really a Gibson?

I'm with you on that. It's still Grandfather's ax. Or hatchet, if you prefer. Replace the body with the body of another Gibson, it's still a Gibson; it's that model. (Sort of.) Replace the body with something from a non-Gibson mandolin, though, it's no longer a Gibson. It is still a mandolin, however.

Was Frankenstein's monster the original corpse, or the corpse from which the brain came? Is it the brain that determines a person's identity?
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I'm with you on that. It's still Grandfather's ax. Or hatchet, if you prefer. Replace the body with the body of another Gibson, it's still a Gibson; it's that model. (Sort of.) Replace the body with something from a non-Gibson mandolin, though, it's no longer a Gibson. It is still a mandolin, however.

Was Frankenstein's monster the original corpse, or the corpse from which the brain came? Is it the brain that determines a person's identity?

And more importantly is his name pronounced Frank-en-stine or Fronk-en-steen?

3. The following members say thank you to CarlM for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    And more importantly is his name pronounced Frank-en-stine or Fronk-en-steen?
    Ask Gene Wilder. Oh, wait. Can't do that anymore. Or can we? Could he have been re-animated?

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

5. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

There could be some relation to the "Platonic form" of an object, that somehow exists apart from the physical manifestation, but which the physical object "participates in" to some extent, allowing the observer to recognize and identify the object as being a "Gibson mandolin."

I'd pursue this further, but my college philosophy days are too far behind me. I do remember the "axe" illustration, though:

"Yeah, that axe belonged to Abe Lincoln! 'Course, it's had four heads and seven handles since he had it..."

The marketplace features a large number of "reconstructed," "restored," or "converted" instruments, usually ID'ed and advertised under the names of their most famous and salable co-manufacturers. The arch-top Mastertone that's had the shell turned down and a flat-head tone ring installed; the Strat that's been rewired with non-Fender pickups; the F-4 that's retained only its back and sides, with a new F-5 style top and neck. Very few of the alterations have been made by returning the instruments to the factories that originated them; most are the work of individual crafts-persons who have added their own signatures to the label, in truth if not in actual handwriting.

Have no answer, therefore, to the thread's original question: "Is this really a Gibson?" It is if you think it is; like Theseus's ship, it's in the eye of the beholder.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

Hmmm ... With that in mind, even though I've been saying it's still a Gibson, or more than half a one - the body being the important half - I see where the seller says the luthier carved the top some. So does that impact its integrity? Is it now less of a genuine Gibson because the body's structure has been altered? It's not like if a crack had been repaired, it's an alteration to the essence of the instrument. Even if it's an improvement, is it still truly a Gibson?

BTW, three days to go, and still no one has bid on it. Might be getting to be time to make an offer, if anyone wants it. The best thing about this whole deal? Shipping is only $12.14.

Perhaps somebody took the original Gibson neck, built a body for it and we’ve ended up with two of the same mandolins. Philosophy was never my strong suit. I once asked the chap rebuilding the Famous Flying Scotsman railway engine how much of it was original and he just smiled!

9. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post: