Thread: Hunting down an Algerian Mondol

Default Hunting down an Algerian Mondol

Hello, I hope this is the right place to post this.

I'm currently attempting to find an Algerian Mondol, and have had quite a bit of difficulty finding one after calling most of the music stores within about 100 miles of where live. I'm in the bay area, and have spoken with Omar Moktari about taking lessons with him, and he said he may be able to help me get one shipped from Algeria. However, I want to explore my options, as being able to either test an instrument myself or not deal with international shipping or a chain of people helping me buy one would be nice. I looked at Ernie Fischbacher's site, and while it seems he build beautiful instruments, $4,000 is way out of my price range.

I've looked at the APC mondols as well, but I have found only one or two videos showcasing them. I'm a little worried they might be more of an Irish bouzouki with a mondol like body rather than a proper mondol, but I'm unsure. Also lacks the traditional diamond shaped sound hole. Does anyone have any experience with an APC mondol?

And lastly, it might be a shot in the dark, but does anyone have any other leads on where I could potentially find one? Just trying to see what all of my options are.

Thanks for your time.

Default Re: Hunting down an Algerian Mondol

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I've looked at the thomann one as well, although it also has me concerned (like the APC) that it's not really built like a proper mondol, but is rather a repackaged instrument of sorts. There's also no video available of anyone playing one (that I can find), so I have less info about it the APC mondol.

It's been a rough search haha

I'm kinda hoping someone on here has one or at least knows someone who is willing to part with one

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    "It can have eight, ten, or twelve strings in doubled courses, and may have additional frets between frets to provide quarter tones."

You want a mondole with the additional frets to make this interesting.
    Thanks,
    sounds_good

Jo Dusepo, a luthier in the UK, specializes in ouds and in other world instruments. She is a frequent poster her on the Mandolin Cafe. Here web site: https://www.dusepo.co.uk/. I would guess she has probably built one or two of these or would be interested in making one for you.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
    Hello, I hope this is the right place to post this.

I'm currently attempting to find an Algerian Mondol, and have had quite a bit of difficulty finding one after calling most of the music stores within about 100 miles of where live. I'm in the bay area, and have spoken with Omar Moktari about taking lessons with him, and he said he may be able to help me get one shipped from Algeria. However, I want to explore my options, as being able to either test an instrument myself or not deal with international shipping or a chain of people helping me buy one would be nice. I looked at Ernie Fischbacher's site, and while it seems he build beautiful instruments, $4,000 is way out of my price range.

I've looked at the APC mondols as well, but I have found only one or two videos showcasing them. I'm a little worried they might be more of an Irish bouzouki with a mondol like body rather than a proper mondol, but I'm unsure. Also lacks the traditional diamond shaped sound hole. Does anyone have any experience with an APC mondol?

And lastly, it might be a shot in the dark, but does anyone have any other leads on where I could potentially find one? Just trying to see what all of my options are.

Thanks for your time.
    I played my friend Ernie Fischbach's mandol, also a friend of Omar, and the instrument sounds great.